How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update. Probably closer to 5,000 because there is this nasty hook that pulls me in when I visit Goodwill. It is an addiction.

However, I do love to read them like a novel. I can sometimes taste the flavors. In many ways better than today's movies.

I have so many regular cookbooks, and also lots of ebooks.
I moved this year, and I think I ended up with 25+ boxes of cookbooks. And those were the ones I kept! I had more.

edit -- also have some old cookbooks, incl. my great-grandmothers 1905 recipe book, a compilation of chef's recipes from the 1890s, and a few more from that time.

Last edited:
When I first started cooking, I bought cookbooks. Not a lot but a variety. They helped me learn how to cook along with Food TV and PBS cooking shows. I no longer buy cookbooks. I look for recipes that are interesting. Final tally, I have about five feet of shelf space filled with cookbooks. On the other hand, I have about a billion saved recipes on my computer.

Last edited:
I'm with Andy.
Before we left Hawaii, I donated the majority of what I had to the Public Library (did you know that you can write off the full value of books and magazines that you donated to the library?).
Now I'm down to 15.
I must admit that a few months back I did order online 2 cookbooks that I had used alot when I first started to really get interested in cook.
IMG_1012.jpg
I also got the French one as well.

(did you know that you can write off the full value of books and magazines that you donated to the library?).

That is great information. I sold most of my books when I made a cross-country move back in 2006 - would have been financially better to donate them if I had known about that option.

I have about twenty cookbooks.

My favorite is Root's 'The Food of France'. A close second is 'Creole Gumbo and All That Jazz'. It has some very complicated recipes, but all that I have tried have been amazing.

For fun reading, 'Le Repertoire de La Cuisine' and 'A Taste of Ancient Rome'.

I still need a really great Italian cookbook. Since you made me think about this, I might order Root's 'Food of Italy'. It's a massive book, and to really enjoy either of his 'Food of...' books, you need to travel around to the places he mentions. We went to several places where great French foods supposedly originated, and tried them in those towns. Cassoulet in Carcassonne was great, as was Coq au vin in Burgundy (Pommard or Volnay - I forget). If he had written a 'Food in Germany' book, I'm sure it would be one of my favorites.

Root's smaller "Best of Italian..." is outstanding. Vast “The Silver Spoon” is the English version of the most popular cookbook in Italy. For basic: Root. Comprehensive: Silver Spoon​

Root's smaller "Best of Italian..." is outstanding. Vast “The Silver Spoon” is the English version of the most popular cookbook in Italy. For basic: Root. Comprehensive: Silver Spoon​

I must have been anticipating your post - I ordered Root's 'Best of Italian Cooking' yesterday after posting. Thanks for the suggestions.

not many
i don't like cook books for some reasons..
one of them is that you can't edit a printed book

but also because it is not common to elaborate in cookbooks on specific recipe tips/techniques

ovel all i don't like books in general

i think they are often too long and not accessible by/to many

positive is not always good when tested against reality.
do you really want me to open a new thread that talks against books or cookbooks?
or perhaps you want people not to say what they want in general?
don't get drifted away by this

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
positive is not always good when tested against reality.
do you really want me to open a new thread that talks against books or cookbooks?
or perhaps you want people not to say what they want in general?
don't get drifted away by this

I'll calmly walk away while you continue discussing this with your straw man.

I have four cookbooks, and I wrote them
I have a gew more in Michigan that aren't available to me, i.e. Joy of Cooking, a cheesecake cookbook, World's best 100 Recipes, Better Homes and Gardens.
Abi-abi-adabba That's all folks.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

not many
i don't like cook books for some reasons..
one of them is that you can't edit a printed book

but also because it is not common to elaborate in cookbooks on specific recipe tips/techniques

ovel all i don't like books in general

It depends on the cookbook. Off hand, I can think of two of my cookbooks that definitely do explain techniques and often tell you where to look in the cookbook for further explanation.

Plus, I take notes in my cookbooks. I'll admit that I use them much less nowadays. I have electronic versions of most of my go-to recipes. I am working on getting them into Copy Me That. In CPM, I can add notes, like, "try with less sugar", "was ready in half the time".

I have a couple of hundred. Which includes some specialty magazines that I really like, my binders that I've printed recipes from the internet (probably about 20), plus now on CMT. Some I may just like one recipe from but (and I think I've said this before) If you only get one recipe that you really like from a book - then it was worth the purchase.

Due to limited space I'm trying NOT to buy anymore... but it's not easy. I forgot during my move, I've given away many that I no longer used, sets like Company's Coming, or regional european sets, etc. 4 or 5 large boxes of them.

I have a bunch on display in my kitchen ( when I redid my kitchen, I made sure too have a book shelf for them). I only consistently go to a few, but there are a bunch that are hand me downs from my parents and some I got from book signings .

...ovel all i don't like books in general

I feel sad for you that you think that way. Books are wonderful creations! When you use a cookbook, it can take you to flavors you wouldn't experience unless you visited the county of that cuisine. History books can teach you what went wrong during certain points in history and, hopefully, teach people what to avoid in the future. You can learn about early leaders, what good things they accomplished as well as their human failings. Gardening and craft and woodworking books can teach you a new skill. And fiction books can send your mind to magical places - or ordinary places with just fun story lines.

In my opinion, any good book is never too "long". I also don't know what your access is to places like libraries in your part of Israel. But you can certainly find books online no matter where you are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom