How long does a home-baked bagel stay fresh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
Would anybody please shed light with me about the duration a home baked bagel last?

1. how long does it stay in a plastic bag in room temperature naturally (still taste the same as freshly baked?
2. how long does it take to start to grow mold in the bag?

thanks

No clue.

I make a dozen bagels at a time. I wrap each bagel in plastic wrap taking care to make it a tight wrap. then I put the wrapped bagels in a freezer bag and freeze them.

I've been using Andy's recipe for a while now. The bagels never less that long to see how long they would less ;):LOL:

BTW, Thank you Andy again. Family loves your bagels.

I make homemade bagels occasionally and usually freeze the ones we dont eat immediately.
I have more experience with Fresh bagels from the Bagel store.
I make it a point to get too the boatel store as soon as they open, to assure me that Im getting Bagels that are still warm out of the oven. The longer they sit out, the less fresh they are. I personally dont like toasting my bagels, so I have a small window to eat them in their freshest state. Even after freezing them, in my opinion, unless they are toasted, they're not that great.

I find toasted fresh bagels and toasted fresh bagels that were frozen to be very similar in quality. But even if a fresh bagel is immediately placed in a sealed plastic bag and kept at room temperature, it still looses something ( also, putting it in the bag too early after cooking may make it get soggy).

to sum up my experience
Fresh out of the oven is best
Fresh frozen, and then toasted is second best
Older frozen then toasted is ok
Sitting in a bag at room temp for a few days is ehh at best.

Call me a bagel snob lol, I've lived in NY most my life so I'm used to decent bagels.

***As a side note, Ive had mixed results with homemade bagels. The taste is there, even the consistency is pretty good but they dont always rise as well as the recipe says or shows that it does. Ive used the correct / freshly bought flour and tried multiple recipes. Probably a 'me ' thing, but ive been pretty consistent screwing it up.

Back
Top Bottom