How Long Do The Effects Of Brining Last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urbnsr

Assistant Cook
If I brine chicken breasts or pork chops for 1-2 hours and take them out of the brine mixture, can the actual cooking be delayed much while the meat sits in the fridge? Thanks!

Thanks for reply. Do you mean I should not wait more than 2 hours to cook the brined meat?

It should be fine as long as the meat is tightly wrapped and chilled.
It helps if we know why the delay. Are you planning on brining one day and cooking the next?

Thanks. We had a change in plans the last time I brined (first time I attempted brining) and didn't know if the delay reduced any of the brining effects. The delay wasn't planned and I'm sure it will happen in the future.

Brining seasons the meat and tenderizes the texture. Those changes will not be undone by delaying cooking it for a day or two. It will be fine.

Why would you brine for just 1-2 hours, especially if you're not going to cook them right away? If you have time to spare, you may as well brine for at least 4-8 hours depending on your schedule.

Believe me, if the instructions give a maximum time for brining, pay attention! You could end up with mush. Brining, marinating breaks down fibres - quick brine trick, let the dog chew it for a few seconds and then, if you can get it out of his/her mouth, you will know what over brining looks/feels like.

Believe me, if the instructions give a maximum time for brining, pay attention! You could end up with mush. Brining, marinating breaks down fibres - quick brine trick, let the dog chew it for a few seconds and then, if you can get it out of his/her mouth, you will know what over brining looks/feels like.

True, the thickness of the proteins should always be taken into account with brining. Coming from the restaurant side, I'm used to thick, double cut pork chops that hold up well. Most home cooks don't have access to that, nor do they prefer thicker cuts of meat.

Thanks. Our dinner plans changed at the last minute. I had the meat out of the brine, prepped and just before cooking, we had to shelve our plans for a few hours before we could return.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom