How do you toast nuts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puki

Assistant Cook
That is it. How do you toast nuts?

I have come across my second recipe that asks for nuts, “toasted and chopped.”

The first one - I winged it. It was just stuff mixed together and I didn’t care about the toastiness of the nuts, really. I put them in my cast iron pan and heated them on the stove until they smelled and I heard a pop. Then I stirred them a bit and waited until I heard another pop. I thought they might explode like popcorn (or maybe not, I don’t know, that’s my problem), so I decided that was Toasted Enough. The food was good, so, okay, they were fine.

Luckily, it is mostly just me eating what I make, so I can Not Care and it doesn’t matter.

But this one is for cookies. Cookies that will be shared!

Unsalted, dry roasted peanuts, toasted and chopped.

What are they?

How do you toast nuts?

If someone knows and is willing to share the knowledge, THANK YOU!!!!!!

For peanuts I would go to the Bulk Barn and purchase them. Already roasted. Unsalted.

I think that is probably what your recipe is referring to. They are roasted from raw. You can also buy small quantities at the grocer in the snacks aisle.

I'm not sure how one would roast raw peanuts at home. Aren't they all boiled first? Then either roasted dry, meaning without oils or with and salted.

just reread your post, you buy your 'dry roasted penuts' then at home you chop and toast just as you did with your other nuts.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much. It is so nice to be able to ask all these questions and get trustable answers. Thank you.

I do exactly as you did - toast them in a cast iron skillet over low heat until you can smell their aroma.

I can’t tell you how much of a genius this made me feel like. Like “I did something good cooks do!” :)

I toss them into a dry non-stick skillet over medium heat and stir until they get fragrant, which usually takes anywhere for 45 seconds to 1 minute.

Thank you both so much. It is so nice to be able to ask all these questions and get trustable answers. Thank you.

I can’t tell you how much of a genius this made me feel like. Like “I did something good cooks do!” :)
Congratulations! [emoji1635] Seems like you have a knack for this cooking thing! [emoji16]

Another method I use, when I want to toast a lot of nuts, like walnuts or pecans, is putting them in a 9x13 baking pan in an even layer, and bake them for about 7 to 8 minutes at 350° in my convection oven. Fast and even.
This is also used for hazelnuts, usually for a little longer, for getting the skins off of them - works better than boiling in water, like almonds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom