How do you stretch your birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
‘It’s the season for turkeys to go on sale after the holiday so I’ll grab a few for the freezer. Then we have them throughout the year for decent price still.

There is the obvious roast dinner but that aside we often cook up a bird or a roast and use that meat for the week it makes dinner prep easier.

So if you guys have leftover turkey in your fridge what do you like to do with it, for any meal.

Club sandwiches the next day for brunch
Hot Turkey Sandwiches w/ left over gravy

Turkey salad..
Turkey fried rice
Turkey rice or Turkey Vegetable soup made with the bones..
Turkey tetrazzini or pot pies with some of the meat that has been frozen for later..if there is any..

Last edited:
Leftover turkey ends up in sandwiches, turkey shepherd's pie and soup.

We only have a big turkey dinner for Thanksgiving. I have some boneless turkey breasts and thighs in the freezer from another bird I used for stock. I'll make a mini turkey dinner with those parts over the rest of the winter. I sometimes smoke a turkey breast for a meal or two in the summer.

I let my turkeys stretch themselves. After being in the freezer they just stretch themselves from being in the freezer. ;)

Soup is always a must do for me. Sometimes this leads to freezing cooked meat for later because my soups last for days

I always smoke the turkey and one of our favorite soups is smoked turkey and wild rice.

(Envisioning bird on the medieval rack)

Turkey wild rice soup for me. Even better with wild mushrooms. It freezes well.

Turkey and sausage gumbo.

CD

Attachments

• GumboMoneyShot.jpg
    GumboMoneyShot.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
You could always send the novice member of the troop in search of a "poultry stretcher" instead of the proverbial "bacon stretcher" at the jamboree.

You could always send the novice member of the troop in search of a "poultry stretcher" instead of the proverbial "bacon stretcher" at the jamboree.

You have to take them snipe hunting first, so you have birds to stretch.

CD

But how do I stretch my birds?

With a Ronco bird stretcher, of course.

As seen on TV!

Last edited:
I use turkey as I use left over Chicken. So there would tacos, chips bakes , burritos, rice dishes, potato dishes, there is so much you can do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom