How do you brew coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been two years since I answered this question and a lot has changed. I now have a Bean to Cup ESPRESSIONE Concierge fully automatic espresso machine for espressos, cappuccinos and Caffe Americanos. This is my daily machine.

shopping

I also have a Bodm Borosilicate French Press to make coffee without crema, usually for Irish coffee on the week-ends.

k12084-449s-143-y21.jpg

When we are travelling and know there will be a stove or hot plate, we bring one of these, no filters required.

114.jpg

We have a couple of sizes of these. Sometimes it's just how we want to make our coffee. If the power is out, we have a propane burner and use one on that to make coffee.

When we make French press coffee, we use a wooden chop stick to stir the coffee.

I found a thread but it's the old one
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f9/coffee-how-do-you-drink-it-74308-6.html
I am asking about the ways of brewing. As for me, I got used to my Turkish coffee brewing pot, and that's my morning ritual. Nut my friends advised me to try one of these https://www.coffee-statistics.com/best-moka-pot
So I'd like to know. How the process of brewing affects the taste? If that's just a cup of coffee for you, does the fact that you made it manually makes it more tasteful? It is probably a strange question, but still...

I'd say stick with what you know. Your Turkish (not only Turkish) pot is a great way of making coffee.

I have been using a Gaggia Classic Pro for a while now. I think it is the bee's knees. The grinder is a Baratza Sette 270Wi.

We did a recent trip to KY and I took the whole setup with us. Family thought it was a real treat to get fresh espresso drinks through out the day.

Attachments

• 2021-11-03 10.16.39.jpg
    2021-11-03 10.16.39.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2021-11-03 10.20.10.jpg
    2021-11-03 10.20.10.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 25
I feel such inadequacy drinking my one a day cup of decaf, made in my single cup Bella coffee maker, while reading all the posts by the kids with cool coffee makers. :(

Ross

I feel such inadequacy drinking my one a day cup of decaf, made in my single cup Bella coffee maker, while reading all the posts by the kids with cool coffee makers. :(

Ross

Yes, I know what you mean.

I enjoy 1 mug of coffee a day, made in a Bodum cafetierre (which apparently is called a French Press in the US!) I have two Bodums actually. One that makes a single mug and another that makes 4.

As I only have the one mug in the morning, I like it pretty strong, with some semi-skimmed milk and 1 spoon of brown sugar. :)

Yes, I know what you mean.

I enjoy 1 mug of coffee a day, made in a Bodum cafetierre (which apparently is called a French Press in the US!) I have two Bodums actually. One that makes a single mug and another that makes 4.

As I only have the one mug in the morning, I like it pretty strong, with some semi-skimmed milk and 1 spoon of brown sugar. :)

I used to call it a Bodum too, because I was introduced to them in Denmark. Bodum was a Danish company, so every one I saw was actually a Bodum coffee maker. But, Bodum is just one company that makes them. I was told that type of coffee maker is called a French press, because they were probably first made in France.

I have a few different ways I make coffee, depending on what I want, how much I want, and how long I want to wait.

First and quickest is a small percolator that makes three cups of coffee. It's ok and I primarily use it to make flavored coffees. Second method is similar, we have one of the single serve drip cones and I'll use that. For both these I use a little heavy cream and a little either maple syrup or brown sugar. I find they add a richness to the coffee that white sugar just doesn't have.

If I have time I'll use a small pan, bring water to a boil. Remove it from the heat, and then add fine ground coffee. I let it sit for fifteen minutes. Then I'll add brown sugar and a small pat of butter, and put it back on the burner. Bring just to a boil, immediately remove from heat and let the grounds settle. Then pour into mugs as soon as they do. I'm careful not to pour the grounds into the mugs. I don't add anything else to this method except occasionally a little fresh grated cinnamon.

The last method is my favorite. I bring water to a boil and then reduce the temperature to low. Then for every 1 cup of water I add 1/4 cup hole coffee beans and 1 whole clove. I add them as soon as the water stops actively bubbling. Then I let it sit on the lowest temp for forty minutes. It's great for a brunch or lunch coffee, or later morning after your first cup was a quicker method coffee. For this method I either drink it black or with a little high quality milk. The combination of clove and coffee is like nothing else. The clove accents the various flavors in the coffee and highlights them. And because the water isn't too hot the coffee doesn't end up bitter. It is nuttier, smoother, with just a hint of bite from the clove. The flavor is a nice strength without getting that weird, powdery, metallic taste that strong coffee frequently has.

I've upped my game from instant in 2019 to the pour-over method in 2022.

I heat the water in a teakettle and use the basket and pot salvaged from a defunct Mister Coffee machine.

Prices on everything have increased so for now I've settled on using 10ounce bricks of espresso-style coffee from the local PriceRite at $1.99.
0173138_cafe-caribe-espresso-brk-cof_300.jpeg
images

If prices continue to rise I may end up going back to a cup or two of instant coffee each day, we'll see.

Aeropress for my cup of coffee in the morning
French press if there are more people as the aeropress is small.
Melita filter holder with coffee filter bag over a thermos if I feel like it.
Got a vietnamese drip coffee thingy as well.
Black coffee, no sugar for me and please no instant coffee ;)

Black n Decker Drip. I make 8 cups with Nabob medium roast. Drink about 4 or 5 cups during the day, heated in the micro wave after machine is turned off. Any left I drink the next morning and then make another pot.
I drink from a cup not a mug.
If I'm drinking it fresh made, I heat my milk first, so as not to cool down the coffee straight from the pot.
Cup is constantly being reheated in the micro. I do not like lukewarm coffee. I will often find a forgotten cup in the micro.
Quantity I drink is really dependent on what's happening. A lot of desk or sitting work, more coffee. Stand up walk around activity - none.

I do NOT feel the need to bring a travel mug or run to Tim Horton's or Starbucks the moment I step out the door.

edit; sorry thought this was different thread about coffee, but nevertheless - I make it in a Black and Decker from Walmart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom