How do you brew coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forgetmenot_

Assistant Cook
I found a thread but it's the old one
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f9/coffee-how-do-you-drink-it-74308-6.html
I am asking about the ways of brewing. As for me, I got used to my Turkish coffee brewing pot, and that's my morning ritual. Nut my friends advised me to try one of these https://www.coffee-statistics.com/best-moka-pot
So I'd like to know. How the process of brewing affects the taste? If that's just a cup of coffee for you, does the fact that you made it manually makes it more tasteful? It is probably a strange question, but still...

We have two coffee makers. A cuisinart drip and a Keuring. We use the drip most days and I brew enough for two cups each for my SO and me. The Keurig is for quick cups of coffee/tea/hot water when brewing a whole pot is impractical.

We use dark roast coffees.

We are on our 3rd Keurig coffee machine since they first came out. We each drink two cups every morning and I like mine with light fresh cream. I actually like French pressed coffee the best, but I don't want to mess with it when I'm hardly awake.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f9/coffee-how-do-you-drink-it-74308-6.html
I am asking about the ways of brewing. As for me, I got used to my Turkish coffee brewing pot, and that's my morning ritual. Nut my friends advised me to try one of these https://www.coffee-statistics.com/best-moka-pot
So I'd like to know. How the process of brewing affects the taste? If that's just a cup of coffee for you, does the fact that you made it manually makes it more tasteful? It is probably a strange question, but still...

Those are moka pots. They won't make Turkish coffee. They can make very good coffee that is similar to espresso. I like both types of coffee. I think the moka pot is easier to use, but I have never made Turkish coffee. I have watched a friend make it, many times.

My go to coffee is made with my Italian espresso machine. I drink it over ice or allongé. I don't bother getting the hot water to elongate my espresso from the machine, I use an electric kettle.

When the power goes out, I use my Bialetti moka pot. It makes excellent coffee, but takes more watching than the espresso machine.

I also have Melitta cones to make pour over coffee. I have a French press from Bodum. We also have a 10 pot coffee maker that uses a basket to hold the ground coffee. We used to have an electric percolator, but I'm not fond of the coffee those make, so we donated it.

I was once invited to supper on a Polish ship. The coffee was surprisingly good and made by a very simple method. Course grounds were put in each cup and then hot water was added. You add any cream and sugar and then wait for the grounds to settle.

We also use the Mueller French Press. We have 3 sizes depending on the occasion, from a singe cup version to a large sized press which yields at least 7 or 8 cups, I think... The single cup version is very cute, according to my wife.

I use a simple pour over after years of complicated and expensive pots. Cheap, easy, nothing to break - makes great coffee.

coffe_1.jpg

We are on our 3rd Keurig coffee machine since they first came out. We each drink two cups every morning and I like mine with light fresh cream. I actually like French pressed coffee the best, but I don't want to mess with it when I'm hardly awake.

Souschef gave me a Sunday surprise, by making me French pressed coffee this morning. :wub: I didn't even know he had read this thread. He found the pot in the garage, and went to Starbucks to get some advice along with a pound of fresh ground coffee. When he brought me my first cup, I knew right away that it was French pressed. Oh my...I'm spoiled rotten.

Souschef gave me a Sunday surprise, by making me French pressed coffee this morning. :wub: I didn't even know he had read this thread. He found the pot in the garage, and went to Starbucks to get some advice along with a pound of fresh ground coffee. When he brought me my first cup, I knew right away that it was French pressed. Oh my...I'm spoiled rotten.
:wub: :wub: :wub:

I have an espresso maker (you can buy one from Amazon for 60 bucks) and I have it set to make Caffè Americanos. After that, regular coffee out of a coffeemaker tastes lousy.

When making it at home, on the rare occasions we do, French Press. Most of those occasions are for Irish Coffee.

We just use a regular Cuisinart coffeemaker. I wanted to take this opportunity to let Kayelle know that I copied her idea of using his & hers Polish pottery coffee cups on Sunday morning. Our last name ends with -ski, so it's perfect :wub:
1591136160.jpg

We just use a regular Cuisinart coffeemaker. I wanted to take this opportunity to let Kayelle know that I copied her idea of using his & hers Polish pottery coffee cups on Sunday morning. Our last name ends with -ski, so it's perfect :wub:
View attachment 37090

I love your cups GG!! I could go crazy for so much of that beautiful Polish Pottery.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f9/coffee-how-do-you-drink-it-74308-6.html

After many years of brewing coffee and observing what the professional have been doing, I combined the advice of the professionals with my new technique. I'm pleased to say it works!! If you're not in a hurry for your morning coffee, try this:

First, there is no such thing as "over extracted coffee". Bitterness & sour comes from "over heated" coffee. If over extraction was time related, it would not be possible to brew "Cold Brewed" coffee which takes approximately 12-24 hours. Get a stainless steel double walled French Press. The double wall is not a thermos type construction with a vacuum. Its just simply double walled with an air space. You will not be using the FP plunger.

Pre-measure the water in the FP and pour it into a kettle. Grind the coffee beans at the mid point of "Auto Drip". Not too fine nor too coarse. Bring the water to the boil. Pour the boiled water into the FP and time for 2 minutes. Pour in the ground coffee and time for 30 minutes and cover.

After 30 minutes, remove the cover and with a spoon, poke the BLOOM to allow it to submerge. With the same spoon, remove all floating foam and coffee particles. Removing the foam will also remove some of the unwanted bad for cholesterol oil. Pour the coffee into a thermal coffee carafe.

This method allows the coffee to brew itself naturally and you will find, it is probably the best coffee you've ever tasted. The nice thing about this "natural" brewing is; You can make a good cup of coffee from mediocre beans.
Roger

Last edited:
Wait 30 minutes? Lord Love a Duck!

We've used the Melitta filter cones, French press pots, a fancy espresso machine, and ended up with a cheap and effective coffee press, that's quicker than any of the above.

F2H06cM.jpg

It's a simplified press that makes 1-2 cups at a time. The paper filters are small and we reuse them a few days each, 'til they're dark brown. (No heap of waste plastic, like those Keurig abominations.) The stirrer above is a waste of plastic: we use a long-stemmed teaspoon. The funnel is for insulated mugs with narrow tops.

Not sure what it costs now. I spent about $30 tops and got six months supply of filters. It's good for travel, river trips, and camping. You can boil water in a hotel microwave, or however. All you need is hot water and good coffee.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom