How do I shred cabbage in a food processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RuthieCTucker

Assistant Cook
I've always bought the pre-shredded Cole slaw mix, but I can't get that here.
I've searched online and see that people have said that they shred cabbage in their food processor, but they don't say how.
Do I use the shredder disc or the slicer disc and is there a certain way I should cut the head and an angle I need to push it through on so it doesn't get mangled? I'm going to be making vinegar slaw, so I need nice shreds, the chopped fine like KFC texture won't work for this.
Can anyone help me?

If I'm going to do a lot of cabbage I'll shred it outside because it can be messy.
Put the shredding disk in, shredder on top, not the slicer on top and then put the top of the processor back on. (the shredder disk might be two sided, one for shredding and one for slicing)
Cut the cabbage, first in quarters, core them, then cut into smaller pieces to fit in the top opening. Push it through with the pusher. It doesn't really matter what shape the pieces are in as long as they fit into the top. You'll get the hang of it as you go.

I have never actually used those attachments in my current food processor. I was not happy with the results with a previous food processor. There were too many large pieces. So, I am interested in following this thread.

Won't the pieces of cabbage be quite short if the shredding disk is used? Usually, when I shred a large amount of cabbage, I use a slicing blade on my mandolin. But, with the mandolin, I can see how what kind of pieces I'm getting and adjust the angle I hold the cabbage, as I'm doing the shredding. This gives me nice, longish shreds and I can adjust the thickness.

food processors run at such high rpm, and have such a small feed tube,,,, usually make cabbage juice and pulp.....
carefully cut to size and forcefully/ rapidly pushed down the feed tube, it may be semi-acceptable.

if you must mechanize, I'd suggest the more traditional deli slicer approach. super more controlled cutting.

for 1-2 head home use/needs, I use a sharp 10" chef knife.
personally, I prefer the slice variation in thickness that results from hand slicing.
one head, halved/quartered/cored/sliced . . . max 7-8 minutes.
long sharp knife required. did I mention _required_? can't be done with a dull anything....

My FP worked very well. Both for either long slices or shorter "shredded" type. Usually used the long slice for cabbage though. I used the shredder for cheese and carrots mostly. But making a single or 2 serving size - Chef's Knife for cabbage and hand grater for carrots.

LOL, unfortunately the FP is just sitting in the cupboard at the moment. Don't make large quantities of anyhting any more. :-p

My FP worked very well. Both for either long slices or shorter "shredded" type. Usually used the long slice for cabbage though. I used the shredder for cheese and carrots mostly. But making a single or 2 serving size - Chef's Knife for cabbage and hand grater for carrots.

LOL, unfortunately the FP is just sitting in the cupboard at the moment. Don't make large quantities of anyhting any more. :-p
I wouldn't use the food processor to shred a small amount. There would be far more work to clean the food processor afterwards than was saved by having a machine do it. For smaller amounts, I use my chef's knife. For whole cabbage or more, I usually use the mandolin. It's less work to clean than the FP. But, whether I use the food processor, mandolin, or just the chef's knife, I will be washing a cutting board and chef's knife during clean up.

I use one of the crappy hand cranked spiralizers with a blade that shreds , and it which works really well when I make sauerkraut. And yes, it is messy. Some always makes its way to the floor.

I used to do whole cabbages with a knife, but my hand / arm get tired. But nappa cabbage is much easier to shred. Goes very quickly. When it's available from local sources, I always get nappa cabbage and use it for lots of stuff, especially cole slaw.

I don't think you can get pretty shredded cabbage using a FP. When I'm making a casserole, it's okay to shred in the FP.

When I shred cabbage (which now-a-days is rare) it all depends on the end use. If it were for sauerkraut or to add to a meat mixture, I would use the FP; for coleslaw, I would use the large holes on a grater (I like smaller pieces for slaw, not long strands)

A single serving - done by hand with a chef's knife.

You need this ;
Screenshot_20221111-091037.png

(Unfortunately the English version of the site has no picture)

I always use the shredder disc and food processor for mine. I think you could use either blade, depending on how fine you like your shreds of cabbage to be.
To know how to shred cabbage in a food processor check this article here, hope will be helpful for you.

Back
Top Bottom