How common is it to find chicken skin for sale in your country for the intention of making chicken fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
do they sale chicken skin in your country.

here in israel it is not that simple.

i want to make some and i think i will go to the carmel market and ask the chiken butcher to buy some..

what do you use chicken fat for?

I’ve never seen chicken skin for sale.

Some markets do sell rendered chicken and duck fat.

1684961234348.jpeg
I’ve never purchased it but I have used my own small quantities to fry potatoes or to make gravy.

There are some old recipes for using it to make pastry crust.

I get more schmaltz from the chicken fat I cut off from chicken thighs than I do from the skin, but use both. I start rendering the fat and the skin flattened out over pretty low heat in a skillet. When the fat and skin crisp nicely I remove them and use as a garnish for chicken soup or whatever chicken dish I'm making if appropriate, or we eat it or the pugs get it as a treat.

Another way to collect the fat is to simmer chicken pieces for soup or chicken salad or something for a similar use, then refrigerate overnight so that the fat congeals at the top. Then just collect it.

We use it for potatoes, various entrees we make, pretty much anything you don't mind having a mild chicken flavor added to.

I have seen the rendered fat/schmaltz for sale as noted above, but never just the skin.

You don't have to buy skin. There are dozens of poultry stalls in the Carmel Market in Tel Aviv, and they will give you as much chicken skin as you want, free, because they only throw it away when they portion poultry. What do you think they do with the skin when they sell skinless chicken or turkey breasts or thighs? They bin it, together with the other parts of the poultry that they can't sell.

Seeing to believe, unless we go to an Asian market (and I'm not even sure they sell just skin) we do not have chicken skin alone, in our grocery shops. I believe our big shops (and or little shops) are no different from yours. What we do NOT have is an open market like your Carmel Market.

As said earlier by others, yes, we can buy fat/schmaltz in containers, Or we can render the fat ourselves from the chicken with skin that we've bought. We can remove the skin from the meat at home ourselves if we wish to cook skinless chicken. Then we would have the skin to do with whatever we choose, which most people just throw out.

I never ever seen chicken skin for sale... will try to take fat from chicken skin in future.

They sell chicken skin in all the grocery stores,butcher shops and supermarkets in San Diego, but they're stuffed full of chicken, which has to be removed before you can render the fat from the skin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom