Hope I didn't ruin my new De Buyer pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkqq

Assistant Cook
Hello,

Was very excited to received my first 28cm De Buyer Mineral B carbon steel pan today. I seasoned it for the first time according to the instructions on the booklet.

With 1mm oil I heated it up using medium-high heat. Let it sit on the stove for a new minutes before removing.

Well the bottom of the pan is now mostly black.

I suppose it's normal for the bottom to turn black after some use, but is it normal after the first use?

The inside of the pan is still quite silver. I can only see some brown lines/marks where the oil level was at around the sides of the pan.

Did I do it right?

Also the beeswax coating was invisible. I could not feel it. I scrubbed it with very hot water again as per instructions but didn't feel like I removed anything. Is the wax coating suppose to be thick enough so you can feel it? i.e. gently run a knife across it.

Many thanks

Photos attached.

I did a second round of seasoning and the middle of the pan developed this dark circle. See photo. This section was also slightly raised from the heat.

Is this normal or am I freaking out unnecessarily? I definitely did not abuse it with extremely high heat etc....

Attachments

• 20210726_183527.jpg
    20210726_183527.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210726_183538.jpg
    20210726_183538.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 47
I would never try to season a pan this way. Here is what I do and IMHO it is the best method.

1.) Heat the pan (no oil). You're only looking to evaporate any moisture and open the pores.

2.) Take it off the heat, and as soon as it is cool enough to handle add a small glug of oil. With a cotton towel (I use old tee shirts for this), wipe the oil all over the pan inside and out including the handle.

3.) Turn the towel to a clean side and wipe off all of the oil. Really buff it all off. If you can see it or feel it there is too much.

4.) Place the pan upside down in the oven and set for 425-450°F for 1-2 hours. After the oven shuts off leave the pan in it until cool.

Obviously this needs to be repeated to build up well seasoned layers, but each time you do this, if there is enough oil to see or feel on the pan you will end up with burnt oil on the pan (like you have now) instead of the polymerization you're looking for.

Well that's another thing. I was always under the assumption that you can put these in the oven as much as you want.

But I just saw that officially they are not supposed to go in the oven at more than 400f for a maximum of 10 minutes?

My understanding is that people put these in the oven all the time?

400°F is enough to get the polymerization you're looking for, but 10 minutes ain't gonna achieve that (you'll need at least one hour).

I see many, even quality cookware manufacturers recommending only lower temps. My guess is that is to avoid having to honor their warranty in the case of warped pans. If you leave the pan in the oven to cool (as opposed to taking it out and plunging it in cold water (c:) warpage will not be an issue.

I have one too and seasoned it for the first time like you did, per the directions. Mine came out very even, with no very dark color on the bottom. and certainly no odd dark spot on the cooking surface.

Just a guess, but yours may be from uneven heating in spots on your stove. Id suggest scrubbing it down, perhaps with barkeepers friend and redoing it in the oven like SP suggested, above.

Well that's another thing. I was always under the assumption that you can put these in the oven as much as you want.

But I just saw that officially they are not supposed to go in the oven at more than 400f for a maximum of 10 minutes?

My understanding is that people put these in the oven all the time?

Where did you see that?

Last edited:
Mineral pans are high carbon steel pans, like a wok. The metal will discolor with heat. I agree with scrubbing the pan with Bar Keeper's Friend. Make a thin paste of barkeeper's, and water. Spread it evenly on both the inside, and outside of he pan, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then use a sponge cleaner to scrub under hot water. When the pan is again shiny, rub a thin layer of oil to coat the inside of the pan. lace upside down on a parchment, or foil lined cookie sheet, and into the 400' oven for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, crack the door, and let cool with the oven.

To season on the stove top, place dry pan over medium-high heat. Use a paper towel to evenly apply oil to the inside of the pan. It will start to pool up toward the center. Rub with paper towel to even it out. Apply about 3 coatings of oil to the pan, allowing each to harden between coatings.

Finally, to get the pan as seasoned as it can get, deep fry something in it, with the oil reaching 370' F.

For cleaning, with the pan just warm, remove any grease with paper towels, and scrub with a sponge under hot water with salt.

That dark circle is probably caused by the oil pooling in the pan center, and polymerizing. Your whole pan will develop a dark patina with use. The inside of my cast iron, and high carbon steel wok are very dark, almost black, and are virtually non-stick.

Instead of using my oven, I seasoned my cast iron over charcoal on my Webber Kettle. It kept me from smoking up the house.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Does you pan have the wooden handle. If so, that is the reason for the oven temperature limitations. I looked at he De Buyer site and noticed one of the pans had a beechwood inlaid handle.

Seeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom