Honey-based marinades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cosmovore

Assistant Cook
I've been trying to cook more recently, but I need to keep things pretty simple because of my skill level and the time I can invest in it... I've been mostly having grilled chicken and salad every day, though it's still better than what I used to have when I ate out every day.
I've been trying different ways of spicing the chicken in my attempt to break the monotony, not really looking things up just experimenting with what I have at home.
Today I tried to make a lemon-honey marinade, and I guess it tasted fine. I just dissolved the honey in lemon and added some spices, then let the chicken soak in it, not very long. Then after I put the chicken on the grill (well, non-stick pan) I actually poured the rest of the juice/honey onto it, and I wonder if that was a mistake. There was a black film left on the side of the chicken, most of which I could pull off easily. I assume that was burned sugar from the honey.
Would it be better if I had just not poured the liquid on? Are you supposed to avoid excess liquid when you are cooking something that's been marinated, in general?
Sorry, total beginner here...

A marinade and a glaze are not the same thing. Generally, the marinade is disguarded before baking-roasting-grilling-etc. There can be problems with bacteria using a marinade after the marinading is done.

A glaze is sometimes applied near the end of the roasting in order to prevent the sugar from burning, but just begin to caramelize. Basting with a sweet liquid throughout the cooking can be done as long as the temperature is low enough not to incinerate the glaze.

Are you limited to chicken for variety. Consider other proteins for variety.

If you marinate raw meat/poultry/fish in a marinade, you cannot use it as a sauce unless you bring it to a boil to ensure any bacteria from the raw food is destroyed. If you want a glaze, you brush on a thin coating during the final minutes of cooking.

Back
Top Bottom