Hi from Spain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paellator

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

I got in some weeks ago and I've been reading but I didn't introduce myself (my bad).

So, I'm a Spanish food lover and an amateur cook. For me, food is one of the top 5 life pleasures and a proper way to know other countries, another hobby.

I'm really into all kind of foods but I love Japanese, Italian and mainly Spanish food.

E-see u

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Paellator! Looking forward to hearing about your kitchen. I lived in Madrid for 3 years when I was growing up (long ago, in the 60s - Dad was in the service), and that was where I learned to try all different types of foods! And where I learned to love real Spanish gazpacho, which I just made again, with some of my last tomatoes.

We always sampled the paellas in different cities and restaurants. That's something that's been hard to duplicate.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Paellator! Looking forward to hearing about your kitchen. I lived in Madrid for 3 years when I was growing up (long ago, in the 60s - Dad was in the service), and that was where I learned to try all different types of foods! And where I learned to love real Spanish gazpacho, which I just made again, with some of my last tomatoes.

We always sampled the paellas in different cities and restaurants. That's something that's been hard to duplicate.

Thanks pepperhead. I hope you had a nice time in Madrid, I´m not sure how welcoming was Madrid in the 60s. Actually I'm from Alicante (Eastern Spain), but I live in Madrid.

About the gazpacho andaluz we make here, what can I say? it is healthy, cheap, easy-to-make and terribly tasty, and when made with good ingredients even better.

Regarding the paellas... it is so sad what it happens, really a shame because most of the recipes shown on the web are not what we usually make here, furthermore, restaurants focused on tourists in Spain usually offer the same fake paellas (which might be good but worse than real ones).

Besides, chefs such as Jamie or Gordon spread non-authentic paella recipes.
For me, these "real", "authentic" or "traditional" paellas you see when you google for them... are like a pineapple & barbecue Dominos pizza for the authentic pizza from Napoli with very few fresh ingredients.

Sorry about this :)

I might start a discussion about this topic...

Regards

Last edited:
Welcome. I've been to Spain a few times, and love the food. I was only in Madrid for a couple of days, and it was In 1978, not long after the Franco era. Things were a bit different. I also spent some time in Torremolinos, down the coast from Alicante.

We had a thread on the forum about the Spanish Tortilla, which some call a Spanish Omelet outside of Spain. It would be fun to know if you have a "family recipe" to share. I love those things. I also take it from your screen name that you may know a thing or two about Paella. Love that, too, but it is hard to find done right over here in the US.

CD

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Welcome. I've been to Spain a few times, and love the food. I was only in Madrid for a couple of days, and it was In 1978, not long after the Franco era. Things were a bit different. I also spent some time in Torremolinos, down the coast from Alicante.

We had a thread on the forum about the Spanish Tortilla, which some call a Spanish Omelet outside of Spain. It would be fun to know if you have a "family recipe" to share. I love those things. I also take it from your screen name that you may know a thing or two about Paella. Love that, too, but it is hard to find done right over here in the US.

CD

My home town is 1h away from Torremolinos.

In Spain, Spanish omelet is called "Tortilla de patatas" (potato omelet) and it can also have onion (a sacrilege for purists, like chorizo for paella). Although it seems an easy recipe, Tortilla de patatas is not easy to master it.
I just asked my mum for a family recipe but she didn't have anything on paper, and I'm not the greatest fan of tortilla (unless it is on another level).

Regarding the paella thing... yes, it is my strong point :) I will open a thread soon and I will quote you. I'm creating a website to spread authentic recipes (in my signature) but I will share more on here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Paellator! Looking forward to hearing about your kitchen. ...

Hi, here you have part of my kitchen. I haven't share any recipe yet but I'm talking about something I love and I honestly consider I do it well.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/my-thread-about-authentic-paella-103635.html

... about Paella. Love that, too, but it is hard to find done right over here in the US.
CD

Hi Caseydog, I hope my thread (link above) brings you back good memories ;)

Last edited:
Welcome, Looking forward to your posts and contributions to the forum. As you said, cooking is a way to know other countries, cultures ... and you are now one of my connections to Spain!!

I wonder what's up with this thread. DC keeps telling me that there is a new post, but there isn't.
taxy, I think that happens when something "spammish" is posted, then taken down by a mod before you have seen it. I know that I've had that happen, mostly on my tablet or phone. Then again, I still try to restrict how often I open up my laptop for socializing on the internet. Once the rabbit hole opens...

taxy, I think that happens when something "spammish" is posted, then taken down by a mod before you have seen it. I know that I've had that happen, mostly on my tablet or phone. Then again, I still try to restrict how often I open up my laptop for socializing on the internet. Once the rabbit hole opens...

But, I got a notification about the post that was supposedly here. It wasn't at all spammish. Just someone who joined a while ago, but had never posted before, replying to an old post. Maybe the person who posted deleted their own comment, once they saw how old the thread was.

Back
Top Bottom