Help with Eggplant Parmigiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyPNW

Master Chef
Sorry if I've chosen the wrong place to post...please move if needed.

I need help! Eggplant is not my thing, but it is a favorite of DH. DH might be released from the hospital tomorrow. He has been making very poor choices from the hospital menu. But, given the menu they gave him, it isn't entirely his fault!

Anyway, I've got some experience with what he can and cannot eat after these surgeries (although this is probably the most significant one so far...knock on wood...it is the last!) That said, one of his favorite things is Eggplant Parmigiana. I've got a Copycat version of Olive Garden's recipe...but surely there are better. And, any thoughts and input for how to make it less challenging for someone that can't chew much, for the time being? Like, could I grate it and make it into a patty of sorts? Or cook it, mash it and then form a patty or mound?

I would be most appreciative of any help or direction to search!!! SOS!!

Glad to hear DH is doing well.

What if you peel the eggplant before breading and frying it? The skin is the toughest part. I've never done this but it should work.

My wife is NOT the greatest cook,BUT, her eggplant parm is outstanding and it kinda melts in your mouth.

Her method is not only peeling the eggplant, but cutting it very very thin, so the breading to eggplant ratio almost favors the breading side (seasoned bread crumbs).

I find that the thicker the eggplant is ( along with the peel) makes it chewier.

Other Thant that, she uses whatever sauce we have in the house .

I think she sauces the bottom of the pan, layer of eggplant , then another thin layer of sauce...repeated ( I would sprinkle some Parmesan cheese in between each layer),

No sure how long she bakes it or at what temp.

I think she bakes with foil on top, then the last 10 minutes or so uncovered with cheese on top.

Sorry for the vague info, she usually makes it and she is sleeping now :)

The good thing is, eggplant parmigiana is easy to make and delicious to eat, so your husband is in for a treat.
I don´t normally peel the eggplant, but in this case, I would.
Slice the eggplant into rounds about 1/4" thick and place on a baking tray. Brush them liberally with olive oil, sprinkle on some salt, cover with foil and bake at 375º for about 20 minutes. Remove and cool.
Have some homemade tomato sauce/marinara/gravy - whatever you call it :D:D - on hand, as well as some mozzarella. You can be extravagant and use fresh, buffalo-milk mozz, or you can use slices or ready grated; it´s up to you.
Spread a few tablespoons of your sauce on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Cover with eggplant slices. Now add a layer of mozzarella. Repeat the process until all the eggplants are used up. Top the dish with grated Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven until the top browns.

Well, certainly sounds like DH is in for a wonderful Welcome Home/Glad it's over/ Great Recovery treat!

Both larry's and karade's recipes sound like winners! I'm certainly going to try them myself.
Keep us posted Ginny!

Thanks so much! The recipes do sound like the right way to go. I don't think of making this immediately, but I think it will give him a goal and something to look forward to, while he heals.

:chef:

Not exactly related, but other foods he might enjoy:
*Steam cauliflower until tender, Place in a blender and process into a puree. Add Parm. it's smooth, very creamy, and can be seasoned with S&p, lemon, cheese, or anything that goes well with cauliflower.
*Butternut squash soup
*baked acorn squash
*chicken fried steak made from cube steak that has been sprinkled with meat tenderizer, before dredging in egg wash, and flour gently fried, and topped with pan gravy
*Chicken velvet - grind fresh chicken, season, add breadcrumbs, and milk. form into drumsticks, bake until golden brown and done through, very tender and moist
*wonton soup- fill wontons with favorite filling and seal. Might I suggest cream cheese, fake crab, or lobster, and a touch of sugar,, cook in veggie, clam, or chicken broth as filling dictates
*Velveted chicken, beef, or pork - https://thewoksoflife.com/prepare-beef-for-stir-fry/
*baked winter squash (acorn, sweet dumpling, Hubbard, pumpkin, etc)
*Pasta with soft meatballs (add extra breadcrumbs, or crushed crackers to meatball mix)
*Salisbury steak with gravy
*apple betty
*cobblers
*pancakes/crepes
*egg foo young
*poached eggs
*pressure cooked short ribs
*pressure cooked pulled pork
*pressure cooked shredded beef with gravy, and smashed potatoes
*cheese stuffed manicotti
*mac and cheese
*fried apple slices with brown sugar, and cinnamon
*Cream of Wheat hot cereal
*polenta
*risotto
*bread dressing/stuffing

There are so many options for easy to chew foods that are delicious. Hope this list gives you some ideas.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
There is a myth in circulation eggplant fruit are male and female.

https://sciencing.com/how-does-a-tulip-reproduce-12149348.html

Depending on the variety, and which eggplant is purchased, eggplant can be bitter. The solution is slice the eggplant, salt the slices, then restack in the order they were sliced. Leave the stack until water oozes out of the stack, may take one half hour, unstack and wash thoroughly in cold water. The eggplant will taste sweeter.

Had never heard that rumour, how interesting.

Did learn here the differences in the flowers on the squash plants. I also was alble to actually notice/see them too! :LOL: Larn sompin' new every day!

Back
Top Bottom