Help with easy, budget meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Often times young people are amazed that you can actually make simple things at home instead of buying them ready made. Learning to make a roux and a variety of sauces and gravies can be a big money saver.

I prefer to learn processes and techniques that allow me to see the possibilities. This master casserole is an example that was published in The Tightwad Gazette years ago.

Master Casserole

1 cup main ingredient
1 cup second ingredient
1-2 cups starchy ingredient
1 1/2 cups binder
1/4 cup “goodie”
seasoning
topping

Main ingredient: tuna, cubed chicken, turkey, ham, seafood, etc.
Second ingredient: thinly sliced celery, mushrooms, peas, chopped hard-boiled eggs, etc.
Starchy ingredient: thinly sliced potatoes, cooked noodles, cooked rice, etc.
Binder: cream sauce, sour cream, can of soup, etc.
“Goodie”: pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts, etc.
Topping: cheese, bread crumbs, etc.

Bake at 350f until hot and bubbly.

This old tomato soup recipe is still a good dollar stretcher. The addition of a little macaroni, rice, mixed vegetables can help to bulk it up for a meal.

1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
24 ounces milk or water (refill paste can 4 times)
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Put tomato paste in saucepan; add milk or water using empty tomato paste can and rinsing can thoroughly.
Add salt, pepper, and sugar and optional additions if using; stir.
Cook on medium, stir and serve.

This is a good way to use the shelf stable boxes of milk from the dollar store.

Last edited:
This soup is an easy inexpensive emergency-shelf meal that I use.

1 (15-ounce) can of Hormel vegetarian chili with beans*
1 1/2 cans of water
1 packet of GOYA beef-flavored bouillon
1/2 small onion
1 1/2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables or a 12-ounce package
1/4 cup of small pasta
Plenty of black pepper and a big pinch of salt

Bring everything to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Let sit covered for 10 minutes to complete cooking the pasta.

Serve with grated cheese if desired.

*This soup is even cheaper when made with a pint of homemade chili from the freezer.

I use inexpensive frozen mixed vegetables in my kitchen quite often.

Here is a basic inexpensive macaroni salad using a package of microwaveable mixed vegetables to add some color and nutrition. You can add tuna, hardboiled eggs, bacon, etc... to make it more of a complete meal. I generally make a scaled-down version of this using leftover mixed vegetables from the previous night's dinner.

1 bag mixed vegetables, cooked according to package directions and cooled
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing of your choice
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) box of elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions and cooled

In a large bowl, blend mayonnaise, vinegar, red onion, salt, and pepper.
Stir in mixed vegetables and macaroni.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Last edited:
Often times young people are amazed that you can actually make simple things at home instead of buying them ready made. Learning to make a roux and a variety of sauces and gravies can be a big money saver.

I prefer to learn processes and techniques that allow me to see the possibilities. This master casserole is an example that was published in The Tightwad Gazette years ago.

Master Casserole

1 cup main ingredient
1 cup second ingredient
1-2 cups starchy ingredient
1 1/2 cups binder
1/4 cup “goodie”
seasoningmany people
topping

Main ingredient: tuna, cubed chicken, turkey, ham, seafood, etc.
Second ingredient: thinly sliced celery, mushrooms, peas, chopped hard-boiled eggs, etc.
Starchy ingredient: thinly sliced potatoes, cooked noodles, cooked rice, etc.
Binder: cream sauce, sour cream, can of soup, etc.
“Goodie”: pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts, etc.
Topping: cheese, bread crumbs, etc.

Bake at 350f until hot and bubbly.
I believe many people just starting out need help filling their pantry with some basic things so every shopping trip is not overwhelming. What would you recommend as a starter list to fill the pantry?

I believe many people just starting out need help filling their pantry with some basic things so every shopping trip is not overwhelming. What would you recommend as a starter list to fill the pantry?
I agree with your thought.

When a person is broke there just isn’t money in the budget to buy things like a bottle of sesame oil or a box of cocoa when those same dollars could buy a much needed gallon of milk or a couple boxes of cereal.

The other concern/complication is that when you’re broke you tend to stick with the TNT foods that you know your family enjoys or at least will eat without complaint.

I think for me it’s best to make gradual changes by slowly weaning the family away from fat, sugar and sodium while adding a few inexpensive fresh foods. Sort of an eat this not that approach by swapping chips for carrots & celery sticks or swapping ground beef for ground turkey.

As far as stocking a pantry it’s really a personal choice. I would try to come up with a list of things that I could make with a core group of inexpensive readily available ingredients. Ten things I can do with a can of tuna, potatoes, romaine, etc…

For me, I would explore the possibilities contained in a five pound sack of flour adding salt, baking powder, yeast, etc….
A few simple recipes for pancakes, biscuits, pizza crust, quick bread, muffins, pie crust, cakes, cookies, etc…. The same basic recipes that our parents and grandparents used to round out a meal as opposed to the more affluent ‘to die for’ recipes that we often see today.

My final thought is a discussion on eliminating waste in the kitchen. Using the freezer as a temporary parking lot instead of an icy graveyard, saving bits of food to make fridge soup, or stretching skimpy leftovers with a sauce/gravy and adding a filler like toast, noodles, rice, etc…

Last edited:
When I was young and poor and living in Denmark, I read George Osawa's book on the macrobiotic diet. I followed that diet, more or less, for a few years. It was a learning experience. What it left me with, at the time, was that my kitchen always had brown rice, tamari, and gomasio (toasted sesame seeds, mashed with salt). I also almost always had carrots, celery, onions, and cabbage. I discovered that I could buy a "soup package" for very little. It would usually have a nice sized wedge of cabbage, a carrot or two, some onion, and a piece of celeriac, and maybe a parsley root and/or a stump of leek. Those veggies would make several meals with some brown rice. Sometimes I added some egg or cheese, or even a small amount of fish or meat. It may not have been gourmet cooking, but it taught me that I could easily get by on some fresh veg and rice. To this day, I always try to have those basics at home.

Back
Top Bottom