Help - Slippery grates on gas stove top!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
I bought a new gas stove in August. It's a Kenmore and I really like it. The only thing I have had a problem with are the grates on top of the burners. They are a black, glossy finish and are very slippery. For example, when I use my stove top grill/griddle...it slides all over the place. I wonder why they don't make the grates in a rougher finish so this doesn't happen? Pans slide on it, too.

Is there a safe way to "rough up" the grates so they would be more stable, but not to rub the paint/finish off so they don't rust? Or I wonder if rougher replacement grates might be sold to replace the slick ones?

Anyone ever dealt with this and won??

Thanks!

Yep, my new stove was like that for a while, it's now not an issue. I'm sure they would get plenty of complaints if they were not glass smooth to begin with, because of cleaning issues.

I was going to say, let me cook a few meals on it, they won't be slippery anymore :ermm:

:angel:

Well, I've had it since August. Don't you all think if the enamel coating was going to scuff up that it would have by now??

Not necessarily....Depends on the amount of use...pots/pan material, etc.
Have you tried cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend or even Comet? Maybe even a light scrubbing with an SOS/Brillo pad...None of which would damage the grates, but may give you that needed "roughness" to give your pots and pans traction......

The slippery-ness of the burners may make using a two burner griddle a problem but it also makes it easier for you to move pots and pans around on the stove top.

You might try spraying them with oven cleaner and leaving them in the sink for a while. I too had that problem with mine. But they don't do that any more. I never thought about why that might be but i do clean mine with oven cleaner.

Annie: I too have same problem you are saying as i just bought this new Kenmore propane stove and love it all except i feel the height and slipperness of the burners is a danger. I was thinking of scouring them to make them rough but was not sure if they would look ugly or rust w/o a coating on them? I have always had Kenmore and cook only w/ propane but do not remember my older stovetops having grids that were so slick.

i find that if you overfill a pot with some good thick sauce... spaghetti is good..
and let it boil over a few times, then don't clean the grates, your problem goes away
quickly.
You might have to repeat the process a few times.

;) ;) ;)

thanks for the pasta spillover idea! however i plan to scour 1 of the 4 grates to see if i can take the smooth finish off. i note the bottoms are rough which is how the tops ought to be. being the pots and pans slide so easily, i get concerned one may take a flying leap w/ hot food in it and be all over the place.:ermm:

i love the oven as it is perfectly level and right on the temp i set it for, so my cakes, casseroles, and meats have come out great so far. Baking cookies is always a good test too.

well off to scour a grate and see......

i find that if you overfill a pot with some good thick sauce... spaghetti is good..
and let it boil over a few times, then don't clean the grates, your problem goes away
quickly.
You might have to repeat the process a few times.

;) ;) ;)

OMG ROFL !!! :LOL:

I have the same problem with my gas range. Have had it almost 2 years and I still worry about the slippery grates. No advice except be careful !

I had that problem too. I cook with cast iron and let me tell you, those pans take that slippery shiney coat off in no time! My brother's coment about how it doesn't look nice with the burners scruffed up was met with the reply that the stove works for me, I don't work for it!

My easiest and cheapest solution to this problem was a cast iron trivet on the burners. I was looking at burner alternatives online and there was one that was for reducing burners for very small pots. They referred to it as a trivet and I thought hey, I`ve already got a stack of those. Whatever finish it has on it will have to burn off at first which smells a bit, but it seems like it`s going to work!

Attachments

• DSCN7071.jpg
    DSCN7071.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN7072.jpg
    DSCN7072.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom