Help on Corn Tortillas - homemade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I'm using Masa Harina and the recipe on the bag (white bag).

When rolling, they either stick too much or fall apart. I am super frustrated. I made other breads so I understand needing to adjust flour/water. I've tried using parchment and wax paper and just on the counter.

Using a rolling pin, don't have a tortilla press... perhaps that's the problem. But after searching all over the internet, everyone seems to be able to make them fine without the press.

What am I missing?
Thanks!
Jen

I haven't got a clue. I have never made tortillas, but I would like to, so I want to see any answers and tips for making them.

I should add, I think pressing with a plate works better than a rolling pin, but the dough still sticks and breaks.

That's probably why Mexicans press them, either by hand or with a tortilla press ;)

Try putting the dough ball inside a plastic bag and rolling or pressing it inside the bag. It's a hassle, but it might help.

If you take waxed paper or cling wrap and the back of a cast iron pan, that works better. My experience pre-taco press days was that I could not make corn tortillas very well. They did crack and fall apart. My advice, go to ACE hardware and pick up a taco press. I think that is where I got mine in MN. It was around $12. I also tried using my Krumkake iron with cling wrap. That worked so-so.

Did you let it rest before you tried to roll? Usually I make flour ones because I don't really like the corn but will make them for Craig sometimes, I've found it's a fine line between too much water or too much masa, which causes sticking and breaking/cracking respectively. I've found if I let the dough rest and all the liquid absorb into the masa, the texture just feels better (can't describe it, just something you have to feel to know) and then I can make adjustments if needed. I usually also lightly roll the dough ball into flour (or the meal if its the fine stuff) before I press.

I still use wax paper or parchment on the top and bottom of the dough in the press. Parchment does work better as far as sticking though.

I also use the press for dim sum dough to get it started as rolling out all the little balls of dough for that is extremely time consuming and the press gives it a good start though still leaves it too thick for dim sum.

Oh, resting time for me is at least an hour and usually longer as I tend to make the dough early in the day to try to break up standing on the feet time as much as possible. Wrap in plastic just like you would pastry, pasta, etc dough. I don't put in refrigerator though.

Just realized, which masa harina are you using, fine or coarse? Bought the coarse once and tried to use it, didn't like at all, nothing but problems even with letting it rest. Also REALLY didn't like texture of tortillas made with it.

Last edited:
Did you let it rest before you tried to roll? Usually I make flour ones because I don't really like the corn but will make them for Craig sometimes, I've found it's a fine line between too much water or too much masa, which causes sticking and breaking/cracking respectively. I've found if I let the dough rest and all the liquid absorb into the masa, the texture just feels better (can't describe it, just something you have to feel to know) and then I can make adjustments if needed. I usually also lightly roll the dough ball into flour (or the meal if its the fine stuff) before I press.

I still use wax paper or parchment on the top and bottom of the dough in the press. Parchment does work better as far as sticking though.

I also use the press for dim sum dough to get it started as rolling out all the little balls of dough for that is extremely time consuming and the press gives it a good start though still leaves it too thick for dim sum.

Oh, resting time for me is at least an hour and usually longer as I tend to make the dough early in the day to try to break up standing on the feet time as much as possible. Wrap in plastic just like you would pastry, pasta, etc dough. I don't put in refrigerator though.

Just realized, which masa harina are you using, fine or coarse? Bought the coarse once and tried to use it, didn't like at all, nothing but problems even with letting it rest. Also REALLY didn't like texture of tortillas made with it.

You may be onto something here.
In another thread we discussed dough and I am of the opinion that room temperature dough or higher than room temperature dough is easiest to work with.

I have found cold dough to stiff to work with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom