Help Needed for Baked Cauliflower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
Hi! I've been missing for a while but i know this is where to come for cooking advice.

I want to make baked breaded cauliflower florets. Some recipes say to coat with oil then into the bread crumbs and some say to coat in beaten egg then into the crumbs. Which will work the best, the oil or the beaten egg?

Thanks!

I would choose the egg.
and I would also be sure to dry the crumbed florets on a rack in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before cooking. I've never done them in the oven, but I would also gently/lightly spray them with oil to bake.

ps, Welcome back!

I would parboil* the cauliflower, drain, pat dry, and bread using the traditional 3 step breading method of seasoned flour, egg wash, crumb mixture.

A resting period to set the coating is a great idea and so is misting them with a cooking spray. You could also add a bit of oil to the crumb mixture.

*Using frozen cauliflower prepared in the microwave would probably be my choice.

I would choose the egg.
and I would also be sure to dry the crumbed florets on a rack in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before cooking. I've never done them in the oven, but I would also gently/lightly spray them with oil to bake.

ps, Welcome back!
Yes, welcome back.

I agree that egg would probably work better. i doubt that oil would work very well at all. I also agree about letting them dry first. I find that lots of breaded stuff hangs onto its breading better if it is given a chance to dry a bit.

I use Picksweet breaded cauliflower for the airfryer. It's lightly breaded and the seasonings are spot-on. Maybe it's just me but I don't think a heavy breading for crisp will work.

I have made the below recipe many times and it comes out great.

That recipe sounds delicious. I know I don't want to deep fry anything, so until someone says this works in the oven or an air fryer, I'll just have to stay curious about it.

I would parboil* the cauliflower, drain, pat dry, and bread using the traditional 3 step breading method of seasoned flour, egg wash, crumb mixture.

A resting period to set the coating is a great idea and so is misting them with a cooking spray. You could also add a bit of oil to the crumb mixture.

*Using frozen cauliflower prepared in the microwave would probably be my choice.
I used the egg and breadcrumbs combined with parmesan cheese. Turned out good but I think I could have added more seasoning to the crumb mixture. It was just lightly breaded.

In the past I have used frozen in the microwave but hubby had it baked somewhere and wanted me to try it. The recipe I used said 400 degrees for 25 minutes. They didn't brown so I went 5 more minutes. For the second pan I increased the temp to 425 and 25 minutes. That worked better.

Thanks,for the replies. I knew DC would come thru!!

I used the egg and breadcrumbs combined with parmesan cheese. Turned out good but I think I could have added more seasoning to the crumb mixture. It was just lightly breaded.

In the past I have used frozen in the microwave but hubby had it baked somewhere and wanted me to try it. The recipe I used said 400 degrees for 25 minutes. They didn't brown so I went 5 more minutes. For the second pan I increased the temp to 425 and 25 minutes. That worked better.

Thanks,for the replies. I knew DC would come thru!!
How cooked/soft does the cauliflower get?

That recipe sounds delicious. I know I don't want to deep fry anything, so until someone says this works in the oven or an air fryer, I'll just have to stay curious about it.
I fry them in a saucepan as we don't have a deep fryer anymore. I usually make half the recipe since it's just the 2 of us. It doesn't use much oil in the saucepan and we don't have it often. I love the agliata sauce.

I make this as part of a small plates meal so the rest of the meal is healthier, like marinated mushrooms and/or roasted red bell peppers and onions, caprese salad, grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto, melon and prosciuto, etc. I usually make 3 dishes.

How cooked/soft does the cauliflower get?
It was firm but not hard, but not soft to the point of mushy. The breading on the pan I baked for 30 minutes was too crispy for my liking. Other than needing seasoning, the second pan had better texture. As someone mentioned, you could par boil the cauliflower to softened it a bit.

Here's some recipes, gluten free is an option, oil free is an option. https://at-my-table.com/crispy-cauliflower-wings-recipe-2-ways/

I usually use fresh cauliflower and make a batter of ww flour/brown sauce/garlic and onion powder/smoked paprika/water. (oil free) Mix it to make a pancake like batter, dip the cauliflower in that, then in bread crumbs. Put on a parchment lined tray, bake at 350 for almost an hour. We call them cauliflower wings. Serve with a hot sauce or a mustard sauce, or bbq sauce. It's how we eat cauliflower 9 out of 10 times. It's mr bliss's favorite.

Back
Top Bottom