Help me make mushroom soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
I've recently purchased some fresh criminis and white button mushrooms, and I have some dried shiitakes and dried wood ears.

I've been thinking of making a mushroom soup with the 4, but it seems that all of the recipes I've researched are either a pretty basic European creamy style, or an Asian brothy style.

I have no idea which way to go.

C'mon, be a fun-guy and help me make a soup worthy of an old Seinfeld episode.

I hope this helps BT. You can leave the cream/roux out for a golden mushroom soup.

Ms. Mofet's Cream of Mushroom Soup

cream_mushroom_soup_081309_P1030685.JPG

golden_mushroom_soup_081309_P1030678.JPG

Heres a link to a post I made a few months back.
Basically a throw together mushroom barley
Its vegan/ vegetarian but easily converted back
(Beef or chicken broth/ stock instead of veggie, Add some cream if you like).
Its one of those soups that has no real recipe, but I make when , like you, I acquire a bunch of mushrooms.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/fall-soup-season-108271.html#post1664969

***Because its kind of a throw together soup, don't rely %100 on what I wrote, use your own culinary genius so I works for you. All measurements are approximate guesses*** <----Just added this so if you make it and it comes out like crap, you have only yourself to blame :)

Last edited:
Search out Ina Garten's Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup. I printed off this recipe in 2011 and still occasionally make it. I'd personally go easy on the Black Fungi or chop small as this recipe doesn't call for them.

Didn't have the leeks once and went with some vidalia, spanish, and scallions.
traded the 1/2 n 1/2 for 15%
traded the heavy cream for 1% - yeah, made a difference but was all I had one time and was still yummy!, just not quite as creamy.

Even with subs it was still delish! I found it sort of long to do but worth it. With crusty bread and a salad a very good winter meal.

(If my DIL didn't have to go diary free I would make it again, Soy, almond, coconut, oat milk do NOT make a good sub for milk in either coffee or dry cereal. Blechh.) IMHO :ohmy::LOL:

Chief's Cream of Mushroom Soup

Little Bro, this is a creamy /Asian soup fusion that will work with the mushrooms you have. If you want to up the anti, purchase some dried, Porcini, fresh, or dried morels, and truffle salt.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup each of your mushrooms, cleaned and diced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, minced
  • 1 clove crushed garlic
  • 1.4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 cup veggie broth
  • 1 tbs. soy sauce
  • 3 tbs. all purpose flour
  • 3 tbs. butter
  • 1 cup half 'n half
  • 1 cup whole milk
Add utter to a 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat. Add onion, and garlic. cook for three minutes, or until sweated. Add ginger, soy sauce, and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms look like cooked mushrooms, and all water has evaporated (about 5 minutes). Stir frequently. Add flour and cook for another three minutes, or blonde in color. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer to thicken. Serve with https://panlasangpinoy.com/filipino-style-pork-bbq/, and enjoy. Oh, and just sol's ya knows, Filipino food is amazing.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I've recently purchased some fresh criminis and white button mushrooms, and I have some dried shiitakes and dried wood ears.

I've been thinking of making a mushroom soup with the 4, but it seems that all of the recipes I've researched are either a pretty basic European creamy style, or an Asian brothy style.

Here´s my take on the Mushroom Mystery.
1) Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for about 30 minutes.
2) Fry half an onion in butter/olive oil until softened
3) Add the fresh mushrooms and continue to cook, on low heat, until they´re soft.
4) Add a clove or two ( or three) of garlic and let the garlic soften.
5) Add salt at this stage.
6) Now drain the dried mushrooms, chop them up fine, and add to the pan.
7) Add a pinch of tarragon.
8) Add stock (or even water) AND the soaking liquid from the dried mushrooms, bring to a boil and cook until the ´shrooms are soft.
9) Dump a whole tablespoon of fresh parsley into the soup, stir once or twice.
10) Taste to see if you like it. A splash of soya or Worcestershire sauce might enhance the flavour if necessary.

Thanks very much mofet, larry, dragn, Chief, and kk.

Lots to think over.

I love Wood Ear mushrooms, but I've never cooked them before. They will probably be rehydrated, chopped,,and added last, just for effect.

This recipe is a base for every wild mushroom soup I do. Tastes amazing and it is so easy to make:

Ingredients​

• 1 parsnip, peeled
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 small onion
  • 3 potatoes
  • Thyme sprigs
  • 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushroom powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • Paprika powder
  • Turmeric powder
  • 250ml heavy (or plant-based) cream

Directions​

• Cut the potatoes, carrots, parsnip, garlic and onion into even chunks. Place in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring the water to the boil and when the vegetables are soft and almost cooked, add the dried mushroom powder.
  • Cook the vegetables and mushrooms over a medium heat for about 15 minutes, being careful not to let the soup boil.
  • Remove the pan from the heat and purée with a hand-held blender or immersion blender until smooth. Gradually add the vegetable cream until the desired consistency is achieved.
  • Season to taste with paprika powder, turmeric powder, salt and pepper. Return the soup to a low heat, just enough to heat through and ensure all the ingredients are well combined.
Copied recipe from here: https://turbotasty.com/quick-and-easy-wild-mushroom-soup/

I usually chop baby Bella’s and cook them in melted butter or oil with some minced onion, a splash of cognac, S&P, and then add two cups of water, a packet of Goya beef bouillon, and a can of generic cream of mushroom soup.

Back
Top Bottom