Hello, from deep South Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RGVTexKen

Assistant Cook
Hey, I’m Ken. Thanks for allowing me to be here. I am a longtime home cook and “bbq” home cook. Really, looking into methods to cook “hot and fast”. I just don’t have the time or need to cook very large pieces of meat like a whole packer brisket anymore. Also trying to cut down salt and sugar so starting to make my own seasonings, rubs, sauces now.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :) We've got recipes for plenty of those things. Take a look at the recipes section or jump into a conversation.

Welcom from Frisco, Texas (Dallas). I am from Port Arthur, the bottom of Texas on the Eastern end.

I used to be big into BBQ, with a big smoker and all. I have downsized, too. I now do small amounts of meat on a Weber Kettle. I also make my own rubs, because I'm on a salt restricted diet, and most rubs are sodium bombs.

I have also started smoking my meats for part of the cook, then wrapping the meat in foil, and moving it to the oven to finish. The meat absorbs most of the smoke it can absorb in the first hour or two.

CD

Welcom from Frisco, Texas (Dallas). I am from Port Arthur, the bottom of Texas on the Eastern end.

I used to be big into BBQ, with a big smoker and all. I have downsized, too. I now do small amounts of meat on a Weber Kettle. I also make my own rubs, because I'm on a salt restricted diet, and most rubs are sodium bombs.

I have also started smoking my meats for part of the cook, then wrapping the meat in foil, and moving it to the oven to finish. The meat absorbs most of the smoke it can absorb in the first hour or two.

CD
Yea, I know what you mean. I still have fairly big pellet grill that I use. I have really been thinking about getting a Weber kettle and doing some charcoal grilling again. I am still at the researching stage. Even they are a bit pricey. Really, I don’t need one, I just kind of have my “I want, I want thing going” if you know what I mean. I only cook for smell and taste now. I have no desire to cook like I’m competing on the bbq circuit. Thanks for replying.

CD
We come up your way a lot. Our grandson and kids live up in Plano and McKinney

Hey, I’m Ken. Thanks for allowing me to be here. I am a longtime home cook and “bbq” home cook. Really, looking into methods to cook “hot and fast”. I just don’t have the time or need to cook very large pieces of meat like a whole packer brisket anymore. Also trying to cut down salt and sugar so starting to make my own seasonings, rubs, sauces now.
Welcome to DC, Ken! Good to have you here. My Mom (RIP) was born and raised in Pearland, TX. But she left there in the 40's. I used to spend summers there with various cousins. Good memories!

Anyway, if you are looking for Hot & Fast, have you considered a salamander grill? Steak in less than 3 minutes! And all sorts of other things too...most of them are not cheap and you get what you pay for? I live in Washington State, and using a salamander grill, I can BBQ in the wintertime without much discomfort!

Welcome to DC, Ken! Good to have you here. My Mom (RIP) was born and raised in Pearland, TX. But she left there in the 40's. I used to spend summers there with various cousins. Good memories!

Anyway, if you are looking for Hot & Fast, have you considered a salamander grill? Steak in less than 3 minutes! And all sorts of other things too...most of them are not cheap and you get what you pay for? I live in Washington State, and using a salamander grill, I can BBQ in the wintertime without much discomfort!
I have not. But, I will do some research on it now. Thank you.

Okay, I guess I should actually share something. I recently cooked a 6 lb chuck coast what I call hot smoked, or cooked on an electric smoker at 275 degrees for about 4 hours. It was a simple cook. I just applied an even coating of kosher salt and coarse black pepper to the roast. I put it on the electric smoker with post oak wood at 275 degrees until it reached an internal temp of 160 degrees, or about 2 hours. I double wrapped it in foil and continued to cook, no wood, until it was probe tender and reached an internal temp of 210 degrees. I did not serve it that day, so I allowed it to cool in the foil and then refrigerated it overnight. Next day I sliced and shopped it up and served it like a chopped brisket sandwich with sauce, onions, and pickles. Other than looks, it tasted a lot like chopped brisket and much easier to do.

I love chuck roast! I use it for a number of things. The usual Pot Roast, of course, but also for chili (especially Texas Chili and Chili Colorado), beef stew and so on. I usually pick up 2, when they go on sale!

Hi there, RGVTexKen! Welcome to DC!

Yum, that chuck roast sounds wonderful! May I suggest you start a new thread with that recipe? Makes it easier for people to find when they are looking for a 'specific something'.

I have not. But, I will do some research on it now. Thank you.

A Salamander is basically a broiler, like you have in your oven, and it will be too hot and fast for traditional Texas BBQ cuts, like brisket and even chuck. It is great for ribeyes, or other meats you want to cook to medium rare.

CD

Back
Top Bottom