Hei from Norway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgricultureCooking

Assistant Cook
Hello from Norway
Im all about authentic cuisine from all around the world and trying to cook as authentic food as possible with the rights ingridiens from the those countys.

More people like me that is busy cooking authentic food from the countrys origin? Using authentic recipes from that country where the recipe is from? with right ingridens etc?

I have trying to this for some years now, cooking Italian, French, Greek and in the future i will try make som African, South Korean, Pakistan/Indian and Mexican food.
Its not easy to make authentic food here in Norway if dont live in the right places, poeple that live in and around the capital Oslo will find it more easy to buy from Italian, Mexican food stores that you cant get anywhere else in the country and the cheese import tax in Norway is about 40-120% (depens on the cheese)

My top dishes are:

Tagliolini alla San Daniele
Risottos
Lasagne Bolognese Ragù
Spaghetti Carbonara
Spezzantino
Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio

Last edited by a moderator:
Hej og velkommen fra Kanada. Ja, jeg skriver på dansk, men jeg tror du kan forstå let nok.

I often try to make the food as authentic as possible, with the important ingredients imported. But, when I am making a Danish dish, I have a pretty good idea of what can be substituted for ingredients that can't be obtained here. Heck, just trying to substitute an appropriate Canadian cut of beef or pork for the one called for in a Danish recipe can be a challenge, though the cuts are often the same or similar. Then there is the fun of discovering that many Danes have now started substituting some of the cuts that I have been using for those dishes.

Sometimes I am just happy to make a meal that is "Indian inspired" or "Thai inspired" and tastes really good.

Last edited:
For me, it's not about the perfect authenticity of a dish. For every site that states that they have the authentic recipe, there are a hundred more stating the same thing, but with a different recipe. For instance, Kimchee. My eldest son was stationed in Korea in the U.S. Army, and made several Korean friends. Every one of them made Kimchee, each one different than the others. Each one was authentic, made by native Koreans.

I believe you could say the same thing about Italian Bolognese, German Jaeger Schnitzel, or a French Croque Au Vin. And just how many ways are there to make Pho, or Egg Rolls?

Cooking satisfies multiple facets, i.e. Artistry, creativity, scientific, the enjoyment of sharing good food with friends, and family, and of coarse, flavor, and texture satisfaction.

IMHO, learning techniques, and flavor profiles is far more important than is authenticity. If you love your baked beans made with maple syrup, rather than molasses, then use maple syrup. And just to be creative, add a bit of chili powder, and diced pork belly into the mix.

Fusion foods sometimes create a new dish that is better than the recipes that inspired them. And then there are the happy accidents, where making a mistake in a recipe creates something new, and tasty. Such was the case with my German Chocolate cake frosting that turned into a delicious no-bake drop cookie.

Now don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with seeking authenticity. Just remember that there is far more to cooking than following another recipe. Plus, you might just find that you can create your very own authentic, never seen before recipe. And don't follow mama's rule - "Don't play with your food!" Play with that food and make it something special.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hi from the Canadian West Coast! Around here, we can get pretty much any ingredient from anywhere, including specialty butchers. We have a diverse population, and that leads to just as diverse a selection of restaurants. specialty markets & ingredients.

I don't know that it's necessary to only use the 'authentic' ingredient in a recipe - I can't get fresh monkfish here, but I can get sablefish & halibut, and that's fine in a bouillabaisse. Chinese jinhua ham is so expensive here, but prosciutto is an excellent substitute.

There is a place for substitutions in authentic cuisine.
For example, Japanese curry is a legit style now and began as a Japanese way of making an Indian curry. Or Chinese egg tarts, from a Portuguese custard tart. And Japanese Cheesecake is, in my opinion, superior to a typical classic Western cheesecake.

Once you understand how to make an authentic classic recipe, you'll be able to modify it in a way that respects the original recipe, and also produce an excellent dish. Not everyone has access to authentic ingredients, that's for sure.

Edited to add - we have high import cheese taxes, too. Sadly. I love cheese.

Back
Top Bottom