Heat comparison on induction cooktops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gefed22676

Assistant Cook
Hi there,
am new here.
I had the opportunity to rent several different places and test at least 4 different induction systems with the same pan(s).
I did go into the menu of each of them and unlocked them to the maximum power setting available.

I can say that in my experience the maximum setting of different induction cooktops develop rather different temperatures on the same pan in the same amount of time.

I do have a favourite and it's my current cooktop, but I now am in a position where I'd like to upgrade from my 60cm to a 80cm range, and I would like if anyone knows of any tests having been conducted in this respect, or anyone else can confirm or not confirm my experience because has had different induction cooktops and can say from experience.

Thanks in advance for any contributions :)

Welcome to the forum!

I can't really help you as far as a particular brand of cooktop or range, but you are absolutely correct in seeing how they differ considerably. I only have an induction burner I take out once I turn my AC on! It is a Burton, with 1800w, and it will actually heat nearly a gal of water (something I do almost daily, for iced tea) faster than my 20,000 btu burners on my range, unless they are turned up to where the gas is coming up the sides of the kettle! I couldn't believe that, when I first got it. I also got another brand - Nuwave - for my Mom, and that was only rated at 1300w, but it was almost as fast, using the same kettle. Only less than a minute. However, I have used the cooktops in 2 friend's kitchens at times, and I could tell both of those notably slower than my burner, heating up similar CI pans, and that was using the largest burner of each. Those were a GE, and a Kenmore, though I don't recall model numbers, and that was a few years ago. Out of curiosity, I checked with Consumer Reports - they do have a rating in 2022. I'm wasn't sure what that would rate them on, but I noticed not all the upper rated ones had the highest "reliability". I assume this meant things breaking down. Almost all were upper rated for high heat, unless I went down a ways on the list. I would definitely check them out, before buying a new one.

I see trusted reviews has some thermal imagery on selected cooktops, also they rate for how much time it takes to boil a given amount of water, which is helpful.
Unfortunately they don't have a very extended range of reviews

Yes, the amount of heat depends on the brand of the cooktop.
I have a Fulgor Milano Sofia induction range. The burners have a power boost setting that goes up to 37,000 btu. It boils cold water within a minute.
https://www.fulgor-milano.com/us/en/product/30-induction-pro-range

The oven stays cool on the outside, so I've been able to roast & bake during this heatwave (it rarely gets this hot on the west coast, so not everyone has a/c).

I researched induction ranges thoroughly, and the Fagor Milano Sofia, while pricey, was more than worth it. I love this range. I see you're in Italy, so perhaps, as this range is Italian-made, it's less pricey?

Another consideration - some induction ranges have touch screen controls which can be a problem when they get wet. My Fulgor has knobs on the front which are much easier to control than a touch screen.

Someone else here (Ginny) also has an induction range, perhaps she'll have some advice for you.

Last edited:
Years ago, I got one of those Nuwave burners that pepperhead mentioned. I really liked it, especially the way I could set the temp in 5 degree increments. After my good experience with it, I bought a KitchenAid induction cooktop in my new house (about 5 years ago). It was fine, but not as precise as the portable burner. During the 2 years that I had the KitchenAid, I had the repair folks out a half dozen times, and had the range replaced twice. WHen I moved agaain, I was able to have natural gas, so changed to a gas range.

My wife never learned to use the induction. If I move again, I'll stick with gas if possible, but stillkeep the Nuwave burner.

Thank you all, the brand I have is whirlpool, a flexi zone that is now ~ 6 years old but is generally considered pretty good.
I have brilliant results with this induction, the only downside I have is that -being a bit old- the "flexi" zone is essentially made by linking together 2x round coils, which leaves quite a bit of colder space in between, even on a sizeable 32cm paella pan.
I am probably considering sticking with the brand given that testings are not widely available.

@summer57, I didn't know the brand, it's rather niche here too, they do seem to make some awesome products, but if I'll probably see if I can shave a few bucks from that budget :)
Remaining under €1000 would be if not a hard-limit, a very desirable one!

Thank you all, the brand I have is whirlpool, a flexi zone that is now ~ 6 years old but is generally considered pretty good.
I have brilliant results with this induction, the only downside I have is that -being a bit old- the "flexi" zone is essentially made by linking together 2x round coils, which leaves quite a bit of colder space in between, even on a sizeable 32cm paella pan.
I am probably considering sticking with the brand given that testings are not widely available.

@summer57, I didn't know the brand, it's rather niche here too, they do seem to make some awesome products, but if I'll probably see if I can shave a few bucks from that budget :)
Remaining under €1000 would be if not a hard-limit, a very desirable one!

Your induction's 'flexi zone' sounds very frustrating. 32cm isn't an unreasonable size of pan; my largest coil would accommodate it.

Whirlpool's a good brand, I have their fridge and microwave. However, it's more than €1000 here. I considered a Whirlpool induction, but I love cooking, and the Fulgor had many excellent features and was worth it to me. It really is an exceptional range. Plus - it comes with a free personalized nameplate shipped from Milan!

My wife never learned to use the induction. If I move again, I'll stick with gas if possible, but stillkeep the Nuwave burner.

I wondered why your wife had difficulty learning how to use the induction? Was it the wrong pans? the touch screen?

@gefed22676 The price of the Fulgor range includes a big & beautiful rangehood at no extra cost (though yes, it's still a substantial price).

range_rangehood.jpg

I love my induction cooktops. I have a Thermador Freedom in the house. Pricy, but I love the look and the functions too. No hobs, the whole top adjusts to your chosen pots. We have one in the RV too. It is a Wolf. It works well, but honestly, I often use a portable induction unit in the RV as it allows me to keep the other spot covered as a workspace instead. All of mine are the touchscreen type. I have no issues with them and they sure make cleanup easier! No knobs to deal with, is a good thing to me.

Nice summer, looks great. I'd like to know if that hood is quiet. Or is it a train running thru the house.

I also, having never heard of that brand, had to go and check it out. LOL, first thing I was going to ask was, " did you get the engraved plate?" but you already answered it. too funny.

I've always dreamed of having an Agga but I'm getting too old for a new learning curvce that would take. My next dream was a Wolf. and now I see this one.

Lock your front doors ladies, this gramma's comin' to visit!

Nice summer, looks great. I'd like to know if that hood is quiet. Or is it a train running thru the house.

I also, having never heard of that brand, had to go and check it out. LOL, first thing I was going to ask was, " did you get the engraved plate?" but you already answered it. too funny.

I've always dreamed of having an Agga but I'm getting too old for a new learning curvce that would take. My next dream was a Wolf. and now I see this one.

Lock your front doors ladies, this gramma's comin' to visit!
Come on over!! lol
The hood's quiet at the first setting, then by the time it gets to lvl 3, it's almost a train going through house. Very efficient, though.

I like that the baffles (which you can see a little of in the picture) can be washed in the dishwasher. that's a timesaver.
Fulgor's pretty new here, too, the dealer said they're trying to break into this market. I got a bit of a discount by paying cash, and by willing to wait 6 months for delivery.

This range was my one big purchase after selling my house & buying the condo. But yes, all of the best ranges, like Wolf, Thermador, etc, are expensive. I considered a Braun, but I couldn't resist the Fulgor Milano Sofia. Any range with 3 names has to be good! haha

An Aga or La Cornue are also my dream ranges - I saw a blue enamal La Cornue chateaux series stove at the appliance dealer - she told me it was around $100k. Breathtaking, in more ways than one. Looked complicated, too.

Back
Top Bottom