Healthy Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
Inexperienced cook. Is there such a thing as ham that doesn't have any nitrates, even so-called "natural" nitrates?

Do Boar's Head hams have any nitrates, either chemical or "natural". Their webpage doesn't include ingredients.

I am sensitive to nitrites/nitrates (cured meats, wines). We have them here in Canada. They are labeled as such... but you have to read each of the labels.

You are more likely to find them in the larger grocers.

Just because you find a ham or lunchmeat, or bacon, or other cured meat, that says "no nitrates added", or "naturally cured", it doesn't mean there are no nitrates. They add natural nitrates, usually found in celery seed, and sometimes those naturally cured meats have more nitrates than the ones which the chemical is added to! So if you are sensitive to nitrates and nitrites, beware - those will also have them.

Serrano and Parma hams are supposedly cured with just salt, but I haven't seen any tests done on the meats, to see if nitrates were in them. Maybe they add some natural source?

Last edited:
I was only able to find 2 nitrate/nitrite free hams. The first - fresh ham, can be ordered from a butcher, or special ordered at most supermarket butcher dept. The are simply the hind leg ham, fresh and uncured, like a pork chop. T 2nd one I found is fully cooked, and smoked. It is also made from Berkshire pork, arguably, one of the very best breeds. It is pricey. The link is - Berkshire Ham - All Natural, baked ham, nitrites free

All of the other hams I found, stating that they are nitrate/nitrite free have added celery juice (full of nitrates). I hope someone else can find a less expensive brand of cooked, nitrate/nitrite free ham for you.

Fresh ham will be your best option, tough you will have to soak it in a suga/salt brine, then slow roast it, or smoke it yourself. You can add liquid smoke flavoring to the brine.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Perhaps your best option is to make one yourself. My dad used to make it for Christmas: basically, he´d cook it in ale for about an hour or so, then bake it with salt, sugar and the rest of the ale. The amount of nitrates in sea salt is, apparently, negligible. I guess you could paint the ham with brown sugar, or maple syrup to give it a glaze - personally, I´ve never made it but have always wanted to!
There´s a place called the West Seattle Swinery: https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-seattle-swinery-seattle which you might want to try out. Otherwise, google for Artisan Ham and see what other options you have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom