Have you started your Thanksgiving day food prep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are having 14 for T-day including 2 vegetarians and one celiac. 3 are out of town guests who are staying at the house. The folks who live in the area are bringing some of the side dishes which substantially lightens the load.

Sunday before T-day
I made cranberry sauce and it's in the freezer - one less thing to do on Thursday. Clean fridge to make extra space. Pulled turkeys out of freezer to defrost in fridge.

Monday
I did all shopping, organized recipes, made roux for gravy and made a prep list.

Tuesday
House cleaning (company coming...)
Long hot bath, personal pampering, trashy novel etc

Wednesday
Pie baking day! Husband makes cranberry relish today - hoping for a good outcome, Prep birds and brine, boil innards for gravy and dressing. Company arrives. Simple dinner of lentil salad and bread.

Thursday
Make dressing, cook birds, make corn puff, gravy, yam bake, Steam Brussels sprouts, set table,

Menu:

Turkey (2)
Gravy - turkey
Gravy - Veg
Gravy - GF
Stuffing - turkey
Stuffing - veg
Cranberries relish GF/V
Cranberries sauce GF/V

Corn Puff - GF/V
Green bean casserole V
Brussels Sprouts GF/V
Mashed Potatoes GF/V
Yam/apple bake GF/V

Crunchy bits plate GF/V
Pumpkin pie GF/V
Fruit pie V
whipped cream GF/V

Last edited:
My head's not in the game today. I should probably do nothing else for fear of screwing it up.

We have a small kitchen with little storage space. As a result, a good amount of our cooking gear is in the basement pantry. As a lazy guy, I always try to plan so I only have to make one trip down and up to make a recipe.

I was preparing to make the pecan pie.

Today was not one of those times. I went down to get some butter out of the freezer.

I realized that you cannot make a pecan pie without pecans so I went back down in a huff to get the pecans.

Then I realized I forgot the pie plate so, angry with myself, I went back down to get a pie plate AND the pie carrier. Smart!

Got ready to roll out the crust and, guess what, I need to go back down to get a rolling pin.

Four trips for one pie. My head is not in the game today.

At least the pie came out great!

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
We have a pretty large get-together and for one person to do it all would be next to impossible, so every year for Thanksgiving we have a potluck. The host does the bird and desserts and relish trays and everyone else brings a dish until we have so much food, it's almost shameful, lol.

I'm in charge of the green bean casserole every year and I also take along cranberry sauce.

My head's not in the game today. I should probably do nothing else for fear of screwing it up.

We have a small kitchen with little storage space. As a result, a good amount of our cooking gear is in the basement pantry. As a lazy guy, I always try to plan so I only have to make one trip down and up to make a recipe.

Today was not one of those times. I went down to get some butter out of the freezer.

I realized that you cannot make a pecan pie without pecans so I went back down in a huff to get the pecans.

Then I realized I forgot the pie plate so, angry with myself, I went back down to get a pie plate AND the pie carrier. Smart!

Got ready to roll out the crust and, guess what, I need to go back down to get a rolling pin.

Well, look at the positive side... it's good exercise ;)

I feel for you Andy. I have days like that too. If I had gone into the basement four times, I wouldn't have enough spoons left to make the pie.

Tip: carve the turkey from the carcass. The lay it out in a Nesco roaster with thè breast slices in the moddle, and boned thighs, drumsticks, and wings placcrd to th sides. Put the back meat at an end of the roaster. Pour drippings over the meat and when ready to serve, turn roaster temp to 145 F. Use the stock from the neck and giblets to make your gravy. This will gaurentee moist, succulent, hot turkey for all. The smashed spuds can be kept earm in a slow cooker. Glass serving dishes with towels wrapped around them will keep other sides hot or cold as needed. Of course, if service is for 3 to 8 people, the food should be fine when put on platters and bowls.

I'm making pie crusts tonight. Tomorrow, I,ll dlice the spuds, rutabagga, and sweet spuds to pre-soak to remove excess Pk. Necks and giblets wll be roated and simmeted to make stock on Wednsday, along with baking the pies, cooking and mashing the different mashed veggies, and making the dressing.

On Thanksgiving day, the turkey will be roasted: the Macy's parade will be watched, and a game or two will be played with DW. Sending time with DW is more important than watching a football game, though I enjoy watching football.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northn

I hope your SIL recovers quickly, Cheryl.

I'm so excited I get to make sweet potato casserole this year! DH does not like them, but my FIL and I do, so I'm making one! :yum: I roasted the potatoes last night and Wednesday, I'll mix in the rest of the ingredients - orange juice, a little honey, tahini, S&P., topped with pecans.Trying to decide whether to add a little homemade candied ginger.

What do you think? This is the recipe I'm using. https://www.thehealthymaven.com/orange-pecan-mashed-sweet-potato-casserole/

This sounds so good, GG. Saved the recipe. I've made sweet potato casserole over the years and use orange juice as it goes wonderfully with it, IMO. I've used a little brown sugar but honey sounds even better with it. You probably have plenty of honey....:)

That is a BEAUTIFUL looking pecan pie, Andy. :yum:

Not on the "to-do" list and suddenly pops to the top-- Bring shovels in from the garage and set by the back door, test how easily the snow blower starts-- ready to go. Not sure how many spoons this will require tomorrow, but there is makings for hot chocolate incentive for after.

We set up tables and chairs today and put table cloths on. Washed and dried a whole drawer of silverware that's been in storage all year. Going to roast one turkey Wed, cook giblets and make one pan of gravy and one pan of stuffing and probably some other things. Nothing too strenuous and we can pace ourselves. Not going anywhere tomorrow, as far as I know.

That looks like a prize winning pie Andy.

Last edited:
Yesterday was pecan pie and stuffing prep day.

Today will be apple pie, chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting and brine the turkey day.

Tomorrow, well you know, everything.

Hey Andy! Wanna trade places? My kitchen is huge and I got two of them.

We had our first snow of the season last night... 5 or so inches of powder. Woke up this morning with no power.

PG&E's outage map looks like a Christmas tree, and their "help line" says to be prepared to be without power for an extended period of time due to widespread outages and damage.

Made herb bread for stuffing yesterday, cubed it and left it out overnight to dry. Also chopped onions and celery for stuffing and thawed cherries for cherry sauce.

Today, I'm making the sweet potato casserole, the apple and pumpkin pies, and the yeast rolls. Rolls can be shaped and refrigerated today and baked tomorrow. I should probably trim the Brussels sprouts today, too.

Since it's just the two of us this year (over a decade since that happened last), I decided to toss tradition to the wind. Our holiday feast will be more Eastern European thankful than Pilgrim thankful: stuffed cabbage, mashed potatoes, and green beans. I still plan, however, on making a very traditional pumpkin pie. :yum:

It's a little after 4:30 PM here on the west coast, and I'm done - well, almost done....except for the turkey and green beans. I got lucky and found a rather small 12 pounder last week.

I prepared 'make ahead' gravy with some pre-bought wings, made the dressing and mashed potatoes and they're in casseroles in the fridge. Dips and prepped veggies for dipping are done, so all I have to do is roast the turkey and either steam or roast the fresh green beans.

Looking forward to the turkey sandwiches. I'm still not sure of the weather and if there will be snow, but fortunately local family is less than a mile away. This town shuts down if there's even an inch of snow. haha

I hope everyone here has a happy and blessed Thanksgiving. :wub::flowers:

...We have a small kitchen with little storage space. As a result, a good amount of our cooking gear is in the basement pantry...

That sounds like my own exercise plan, Andy. My Mom would tell me "if you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet". :LOL: I'm up and down our steps a lot more often than I should be.

Still, the pie looks delicious. Even under stress and confusion, you do good work.

All I'm making for TG dinner is a dessert - a crême brûlée pumpkin cheesecake, which is almost completely cooled in the oven now, and I'll cool it for a while on the back porch, then put it in the container, and in the fridge overnight. I told my friend what I'd be doing, and he said he'd check his propane, to make sure I could burn the sugar on. That's all I'm making, though I'm also taking a bunch of my fresh herbs over - even if not used for dinner, I know their oldest daughter loves to cook, and will take anything food related!

main dishes ready

main dishes ready

good ole american turkey and some lasagna also. made a flan also, wax turnips.

potato salad coming so do i need to make mash potato?

Attachments

• IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6517.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 133

My favorite pie. It looks great!!!!!! I would make 4 more trips for that pie (and maybe many more lol)

I just finished getting the green beans ready for a new recipe. "Green Bean and Cauliflower Gratin" from the Food Network mag. Nov. 2019. It calls for 2 different types of cheese. (hmmm, wonder why DH wants this? lol) We are also taking to DD's, "Beer Dip" Taste of Home Sept. 2018.(hmmm, wonder why DH wants this also? lol) with 3 different types of pretzels.

Back
Top Bottom