Has anyone successfully frozen cooked (fresh) mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
My grocery store had large containers of pre-sliced fresh mushrooms (just your standard white mushroom) on sale, two packages for $4. My son won't eat mushrooms, so, as my son likes to say, "That's all you, mom." Which means I'm the only one who's going to end up eating them.

So okay! Now I'm stuck with all these mushrooms and, while I plan to saute some up tonight as a side dish, what do I do with the rest of them??? I'm not planning on using them again until this weekend (making French bread pizzas). I read you can freeze cooked/sauteed mushrooms, but was wondering if anyone here has actually done that. And, if so, were they still in decent shape once thawed?

One thing I have done many times with mushrooms, when I've gotten deals on them, is made duxelles, which freeze great, and can be used in pizzas, pastas, omelettes, and many other things. I've also frozen cooked slices, which thawed, with no problems.

One thing I have done many times with mushrooms, when I've gotten deals on them, is made duxelles, which freeze great, and can be used in pizzas, pastas, omelettes, and many other things. I've also frozen cooked slices, which thawed, with no problems.
Excellent, thanks so much.

I had to look up what duxelles is/are. Very interesting and it sounds delicious. Would definitely be awesome on pizza and on pasta. Thanks for the great idea :yum:

@Linda0818 Most books will tell you to squeeze a bunch of the liquid out of the finely minced mushrooms, but I don't like to waste the flavor! Instead, I mince up the mushrooms by pulsing in a food processor, then cooking on medium high heat in a sauté pan in the butter, stirring almost constantly for about 5 minutes, then turn down to low, and cook about 1-1½ hrs, stirring occasionally, until much darker, and has lost much of its moisture. This is a method I got from a James Beard book, which helps concentrate the flavor, better than the usual, faster version that is normally given. I just make sure I do it when I'll be in the kitchen for that time, doing something else.

And I forgot to mention, I always freeze this in a wide-mouthed mason jar - it thaws and re-freezes easily, for scooping out, to season things.

Last edited:
I have often sautéed mushrooms in butter and then frozen them. It works well. Either freeze them in single servings or spread them out on something flat when you freeze them, so they don't all stick together in one clump. When they are completely frozen, put them in a zipper bag or an airtight plastic container. That way you will be able to take as many or as few as you want out of the container to use.

One of these days I may get around to putting in the effort of making duxelles. That has been on my radar for many years, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thank you pepper - I will have to try that.
taxy - you won't be disappointed! and will wonder why you never did it ages ago!

Most books will tell you to squeeze a bunch of the liquid out of the finely minced mushrooms, but I don't like to waste the flavor! Instead, I mince up the mushrooms by pulsing in a food processor, then cooking on medium high heat in a sauté pan in the butter, stirring almost constantly for about 5 minutes, then turn down to low, and cook about 1-1½ hrs, stirring occasionally, until much darker, and has lost much of its moisture. This is a method I got from a James Beard book, which helps concentrate the flavor, better than the usual, faster version that is normally given. I just make sure I do it when I'll be in the kitchen for that time, doing something else.

And I forgot to mention, I always freeze this in a wide-mouthed mason jar - it thaws and re-freezes easily, for scooping out, to season things.
That sounds fantastic and highly delectable. I think I'll try this with half of the mushrooms and will take taxy's suggestion, of freezing them individually, for the other half.

(y)

I have often sautéed mushrooms in butter and then frozen them. It works well. Either freeze them in single servings or spread them out on something flat when you freeze them, so they don't all stick together in one clump. When they are completely frozen, put them in a zipper bag or an airtight plastic container. That way you will be able to take as many or as few as you want out of the container to use.

One of these days I may get around to putting in the effort of making duxelles. That has been on my radar for many years, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Perfect. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom