Has Anyone Ever Had Big Tapioca?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
They got some that are about the size of capers. I have had them in a pudding and they were great.

No favor as you would expect but the consistency.

So anyone ever had ?

T

Used to b able to get tapioca pudding, don't haven't looked lately. Loved it. Mom used the giant ones to make "fish eye pudding".

If you have an Asian market in your area, you'll be able to find all sizes of them, in addition to the starch. I thought I had some large, but someone I used to know liked them the most! The large I used to get, that you are probably referring to, are about 3/16", before cooking, then there's about 1/8", which I have labelled "medium" (they still get fairly large), then a smaller, maybe 1/16", then the usual, even smaller "instant" tapioca, which I never got.
Small and medium sized tapioca. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

My grandmother used to make tapioca pudding. I used to think of the tapioca pearls as fish eyes. Though we cleaned many a brook trout, or rainbow trout there, thankfully, non of the actual fish eyes ever got into the pudding, though the rascally side of ne, when I was about 7 years of age, thought about putting some into tapioca pudding:ohmy::LOL:.

Oh the things that entertain little boys, like this little ditty that we loved to sing, to gross out the neighborhood girls:
Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher gits
mutilated monkey meat
little dirty birdie feet,
french-fried eyeballs
swimming in a pool of blood,
And I forgot my spoon!
.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

LOL Chief - the memories that ditty brings back!

Tain't just kids have a mischievous streak, My Mother as a Camp Leader... she and her associates were enjoying chicken from the campfire when some of the young girls asked what were those tiny white things were rolling around the plates. She told them the chicken had gone bad and they were little maggots but they were cooked and delicious with a bit of extra butter! Offers to taste were not taken up.

I never found tapioca to be particularly exciting, and School Lunches, way back in the 60s, featured "Tapioca Pudding" at least once a week. We called it frogspawn too!
Tapioca, like yam, taro root, cassava root, etc., is not particularly exciting as a stand-alone ingredient, in my opinion. It depends what you put with it/them as to how exciting it can be.

I wonder if the tapioca pearls would take on the flavor of the liquid that hydrated them? If so, I think a lemon flavored liquid to cook the tapioca in, then the pearls drained though a fine mesh sieve, then added to a good lemon curd would be delicious. If flavoring the pearls works, think of the possibilities, butterscotch, caramel, berry, key lime, coconut, etc. Sounds like something worth trying.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom