Most of the pre inoculated blocks I get are grain substrate, but I've never started one from scratch. The only one I did from scratch was the hardwood pellets. Apparently when they are formed they go through an intense heat process that doesnt make them sterilized, but starts off at a low contamination . I remember having to pour boiling water into them to rehydrate and kill most of what was left. Then cool, add the mushrooms spores.... Im going to play around with this tent this year and see how much it makes a difference. I think the consistent humidity will be a big plus. If all goes well, then may start diving into inoculating more things myself using different substrates . I belong to some mushroom group online, and they are soooooo involved in all of that, maybe too much for me, but as of now, the process is fun.Have you tried to use grain for a substrate? I tried it one year, pressure cooking the wheat to sterilize it. I was able to get a mycelium to grow, but that's as far as I went. I didn't have a humid enough area in the basement for the mushrooms to grow.
I'm always excited to see your experiments! I love the tenting idea. That will make such a difference in humidity. What fun!
My wife asked for mushroom barley soup this week, I told her she'd have to wait a few weeks when we're over our head in mushrooms . But yea, I got to start making a list of things to make. Im just afraid I'll jinx myself and wind up with nothing. But mushroom barley soup and marinated mushrooms are first on the list. The lions mane I'll press flat then pan fry to sear them ( I did that last year and it worked out well). I also made a " Crab cake" like thing, due to their flakey texture and slight seafoody kind of flavor. My wife loved it ( I want crazy about it).Good Luck! sounds fascinating!
Also interested to hear just what you will be going to prepare with all those mushrooms!