Green Olives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That time of year again! Raw Green Olives are only available for a few weeks early fall, so I take advantage of it. I used to use the salt method to removed the bitterness, but last year I built up enough confidence to do the lye method. It worked out well ( much quicker and more efficient as long done safely and properly). As I probably mentioned last year, it's not that my olives taste all that good, but just making something that is inedible and making it edible is what fascinates me. After removing the bitterness, I'vee tried multiple brines to give them more flavor, but I haven't found one that I love, so I just eat them in their salty brine.

Attachments

• olives.png
    olives.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
That time of year again! Raw Green Olives are only available for a few weeks early fall, so I take advantage of it. I used to use the salt method to removed the bitterness, but last year I built up enough confidence to do the lye method. It worked out well ( much quicker and more efficient as long done safely and properly). As I probably mentioned last year, it's not that my olives taste all that good, but just making something that is inedible and making it edible is what fascinates me. After removing the bitterness, I'vee tried multiple brines to give them more flavor, but I haven't found one that I love, so I just eat them in their salty brine.

I had a craving for green olives and bought some today, it must be because October is almost here. One of my trees was full of large green olives but they ripened too soon this year and then fell off during a rainstorm a couple of weeks ago before we even had the time to harvest them🥺.

Salty brine is probably your best bet, they keep well for a long time. My mother knows how to preserve the little black ones in salty brine. I'm not too sure how to preserve them really, we usually just harvest the whole lot for EVOO production, well at least we used to. This year looks like another "nothing" year😕.

I had a craving for green olives and bought some today, it must be because October is almost here. One of my trees was full of large green olives but they ripened too soon this year and then fell off during a rainstorm a couple of weeks ago before we even had the time to harvest them🥺.

Salty brine is probably your best bet, they keep well for a long time. My mother knows how to preserve the little black ones in salty brine. I'm not too sure how to preserve them really, we usually just harvest the whole lot for EVOO production, well at least we used to. This year looks like another "nothing" year😕.
Do you process the EVOO yourself ?

This same guy told me that at the end of the gardening season ( about now), he would take the half ripe tomatoes ( half green/red) and slice them into quarter inch pieces , sprinkle with salt, then top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Just another way to use up half ripe tomatoes.

why not just place them on a sunny window sill? They will ripen within a few days.

Do you process the EVOO yourself ?

No, that's not possible, we have to take our olives to our local oil mill for processing , or they come and collect them.
When we don't have any olive production, we can buy EVOO directly from them. It's more genuine and tastier than the oil we find in supermarkets. 😀

I'm sort of intrigued by the idea of making my own olive or peanut oil (even though my olive tree has yet to produce a single olive), so I googled a bit and came across this little machine
I would love to see it in action. I got no ties to them, never used it but just posted it because it looked interesting

I'm sort of intrigued by the idea of making my own olive or peanut oil (even though my olive tree has yet to produce a single olive), so I googled a bit and came across this little machine
I would love to see it in action. I got no ties to them, never used it but just posted it because it looked interesting
Sounds fun! 😀

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom