Great! Cole Slaw Recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw, I wanted to mention my method using this recipe. If you have a salad spinner, you can make the entire dish in it.

Toss the veggies, salt and sugar in the bowl and leave it to sit; you can stir it up every few minutes to make sure the seasonings are dissolved.

Pour the veggies into the colander and rinse well with cold water. Shake off excess, put the colander in the bowl and spin dry.

Transfer the veggies back to the bowl, mix in the dressing, cover and refrigerate till ready to serve.

This is what I do. Less cleanup.

GG, I didn't mean that I thought this coleslaw was either limp or sweet. It's my association of sorry tasting, often too sweet, coleslaws with a less crisp/firm texture. I often notice the sweetness in food that other people call balanced and I don't hate some sweet and sour foods, but they aren't at the top of my list of things that I like. I guess one of the reasons I like cooking is because I can make food to my taste.

Btw, I wanted to mention my method using this recipe. If you have a salad spinner, you can make the entire dish in it.

Toss the veggies, salt and sugar in the bowl and leave it to sit; you can stir it up every few minutes to make sure the seasonings are dissolved.

Pour the veggies into the colander and rinse well with cold water. Shake off excess, put the colander in the bowl and spin dry.

Transfer the veggies back to the bowl, mix in the dressing, cover and refrigerate till ready to serve.

That seems a good method. Thank you.

Ross

Hi,
Interesting thread indeed. I do love creamy coleslaw .
To salt or not to salt?
I used to religiously salt and drain - Cooks Illustrated recommended that years ago. Over time I decided it was too much work for me. I may try it again - thank you for suggesting the salad spinner. I used to use paper towels .
Currently I have been using a recipe by Rick Rodgers from his "Comfort Foods" cookbook. Family and friends like it quite well. No pre salting required. Similar ingredients but no sugar and no mustard. A green apple is shredded right before apple cider vinegar is added. Have also tried it with a sweet apple and also liked quite well. Very fresh and crisp. Have to admit that I do get some "soup" if it stays overnight in the fridge but never on the same day.
Thanks again for the salad spinner trick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom