Great! Cole Slaw Recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I never was a big fan of cole slaw. It was OK and I enjoyed it once in a while. I had a recipe we liked OK but nothing special. Store bought never was a big hit.

One day, while browsing the Serious Eats website, I came across a cole slaw recipe. Thought I'd give it a try. It is terrific! We both really love it.

I know everyone's tastes differ but I recommend it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-how-to-make-the-best-creamy-cole-slaw

Sounds good, Andy. Have copied!

and now I'm about to fall down that rabbit hole and get lost in all those other recipes. If you don't hear ffrom me after 3 days, please call Search and Rescue. Thank You!

The dressing for that coleslaw is very much like what I use to dress coleslaw, but no sugar in mine. I also tend to use green cabbage, carrot, and red onion, but sometimes I add a bit of red cabbage. Scallions make a nice change once in a while.

How the heck do you shred cabbage on a mandolin after you cut out the core? Doesn't it fall apart? I don't cut out the core when I shred cabbage. I only shred the leafy part, not the core. I usually make much smaller amounts of coleslaw at a time, so I usually just shred the cabbage using a knife.

I also don't worry about making the carrot shreds really long. Isn't that just aesthetic? Does it make a difference to the flavour?

Does it actually matter about draining liquid out of the cabbage if you are making a smaller batch? I have only once had my coleslaw get watery from the cabbage. Maybe it would get watery if it sat around for a long time.

...How the heck do you shred cabbage on a mandolin after you cut out the core? Doesn't it fall apart? I don't cut out the core when I shred cabbage. I only shred the leafy part, not the core. I usually make much smaller amounts of coleslaw at a time, so I usually just shred the cabbage using a knife.

I quarter the cabbage, cut off the core then slice it with my chef's knife.

I also don't worry about making the carrot shreds really long. Isn't that just aesthetic? Does it make a difference to the flavour?

I use a box grater and couldn't care less how long the shreds are.

Does it actually matter about draining liquid out of the cabbage if you are making a smaller batch? I have only once had my coleslaw get watery from the cabbage. Maybe it would get watery if it sat around for a long time.

If I make a full recipe then draining the liquid becomes important.

My thoughts above.

You know what can make an interesting addition to coleslaw - a bit of whole cumin. It can be a bit of a surprise, but I like it for variety.

How the heck do you shred cabbage on a mandolin after you cut out the core? Doesn't it fall apart? I don't cut out the core when I shred cabbage. I only shred the leafy part, not the core. I usually make much smaller amounts of coleslaw at a time, so I usually just shred the cabbage using a
Since it's just the two of us and we don't have cole slaw very often, I've been buying the pre-shredded bags with green and red cabbage and carrots. This last time I made it, there weren't very many carrots, so I shredded one on my V-slicer.

I think that's personal preference.

I always drain the liquid because even if there's only a little (and there's usually at least a couple of tablespoons), it dilutes the dressing.

You know what can make an interesting addition to coleslaw - a bit of whole cumin. It can be a bit of a surprise, but I like it for variety.
That does sound good. I always add about a quarter teaspoon of celery seeds. For some reason, that flavor really says cole slaw to me lol

For me it is Celery Seeds and RAISINS!

I can't believe the number of people who say "Raisins? In Cole Slaw?"

I like the added sweet shot of texture.

Thank you, you're Welcome. :D

For me it is Celery Seeds and RAISINS!

I can't believe the number of people who say "Raisins? In Cole Slaw?"

I like the added sweet shot of texture.

Thank you, you're Welcome. [emoji3]
DH loves raisins in cole slaw, too. I'm not a huge fan, so I don't always remember to add them ;)

Whole cumin seeds? Why not ground?

Ground might work. I followed a recipe for "Cuban style coleslaw" and it was in the recipe. I have only used them a couple of times, but quite like it. I haven't tried with ground. The whole ones give a little pop of flavour as you chew one.

I always drain the liquid because even if there's only a little (and there's usually at least a couple of tablespoons), it dilutes the dressing.

I just checked my notes about that "Cuban style coleslaw" that I made. The notes say that I did the sprinkle-with-salt and let it drain method. After an hour in the fridge, there was no liquid drained away.

I just realized what the difference is likely to be. I think it has to do with the age of the cabbage. I made that cole slaw back in April. That was a cabbage grown last year, like most of the cabbage on the shelves here right now. I betcha cabbage loses water when it's in storage. I'll I try draining the cabbage again, once we start getting this year's cabbages.

I just checked my notes about that "Cuban style coleslaw" that I made. The notes say that I did the sprinkle-with-salt and let it drain method. After an hour in the fridge, there was no liquid drained away.

I just realized what the difference is likely to be. I think it has to do with the age of the cabbage. I made that cole slaw back in April. That was a cabbage grown last year, like most of the cabbage on the shelves here right now. I betcha cabbage loses water when it's in storage. I'll I try draining the cabbage again, once we start getting this year's cabbages.
That makes sense.

Salting and sugaring the cabbage not only removes some of the moisture but it also softens the texture. We like it better that way, but it's another personal preference. And it seasons the cabbage itself, not just the surface, as would be the case if you just tossed it with the dressing without the pre-treatment.

Last edited:
Salting and sugaring the cabbage not only removes some of the moisture but it also softens the texture. We like it better that way, but it's another personal preference. And it seasons the cabbage itself, not just the surface, as would be the case if you just tossed it with the dressing without the pre-treatment.

Yup, personal preference. We like the slightly firmer texture. I think I associate the less firm texture with sorry tasting, limp coleslaw from restos and at friends' homes. With the coleslaw shredded fairly thinly, I doubt that I can taste the difference between having the salt in the cabbage or just in the dressing. I never put sugar in coleslaw. Sweet coleslaw is one of my pet peeves.

Yup, personal preference. We like the slightly firmer texture. I think I associate the less firm texture with sorry tasting, limp coleslaw from restos and at friends' homes. With the coleslaw shredded fairly thinly, I doubt that I can taste the difference between having the salt in the cabbage or just in the dressing. I never put sugar in coleslaw. Sweet coleslaw is one of my pet peeves.
When I make it, it's not sweet; it's balanced ;) more of a sweet and sour sauce. The sugar balances the tartness of the mayo (we use Duke's, which is more tart than most) and the vinegar. And it's certainly not limp.

In this recipe, after tossing the vegetables with salt and sugar, the liquid is drained and the vegetables are rinsed well. Then I use my salad spinner to spin out any remaining liquid, then add the dressing.

Last edited:
Btw, I wanted to mention my method using this recipe. If you have a salad spinner, you can make the entire dish in it.

Toss the veggies, salt and sugar in the bowl and leave it to sit; you can stir it up every few minutes to make sure the seasonings are dissolved.

Pour the veggies into the colander and rinse well with cold water. Shake off excess, put the colander in the bowl and spin dry.

Transfer the veggies back to the bowl, mix in the dressing, cover and refrigerate till ready to serve.

My most recent batch, with smoked ribs and baked beans.
20220529_195104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom