Got a question about Orange Zest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllRicksStuff

Assistant Cook
I lost my teeth a few years ago and I now gum everything I eat. I bought a Instant Pot so I could cook everything soft and it works, BTW.
My question is, I never buy oranges anymore because I can't eat them BUT many recipes I use call for orange zest. I've used orange juice with pulp but it's far too weak so, can I get away with using orange essence or oil or something like it instead of orange zest? Will it work as well? Will it give my recipes more orange flavor?
Like,

Chinese Orange Chicken
Chinese Orange Shrimp
sticky orange chicken sauce
Sweet and Sour Orange Sauce

Etc., Etc., Etc.
TY :)

Last edited:
You should be able to find orange zest and lemon zest in the herbs and spices aisle of the supermarket. If not, it is available at Amazon.com (isn't everything?).

61PjKjPCaCS._AC_AA440_.jpg
81N3l3S7lEL._AC_AA440_.jpg

You can get orange and lemon extracts in the spices aisle, where you would find vanilla and almond extracts. These will definitely give your food more flavor.

Another option where a sweet orange flavor is the end result, is to use orange soda. The flavor comes from, orange oils, from the peel, the same flavor as orange zest, but with added sugar). Simply add orange soda to a pan, and reduce it to concentrate the orange flavor, use in your recipe. I used to make soda at a small bottling company between high school graduation, and entering the U.S. Navy. Nehi brand was the only orange soda pop brand that actually had orange juice added to the orange oils in their soda pop. There was even a little pulp.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I keep frozen orange juice concentrate in the freeze and use it by the tablespoon for sauces mentioned. Orange chicken is the one that comes to mind. Now I use an orange sauce with chili peppers for stir fries.

I've been out of orange concentrate on occasion so I used home canned orange marmalade, blitz that into the sauce and with all the sweet and rinds, it really gives a similar flavor. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Once in a while I zest a bunch of citrus and also keep that in a jar in the freezer.

I just want to mention, that at our local aldi's store, they had a pallet of boxes of 3 lb bags of navel oranges. They are delicious. For 99 cents/3lbs.

There must be a glut in the market as mandarin oranges are still on sale and navel oranges don't usually go for this low price.
(also cranberries are going off season, so they will be low, and pineapples are also low in price right now)

I just want to mention, that at our local aldi's store, they had a pallet of boxes of 3 lb bags of navel oranges. They are delicious. For 99 cents/3lbs.

There must be a glut in the market as mandarin oranges are still on sale and navel oranges don't usually go for this low price.
(also cranberries are going off season, so they will be low, and pineapples are also low in price right now)

The price is low because peak season for citrus is just beginning. It runs in the winter when all of the northern fruits are dormant. December to February is citrus harvest time in Florida.

The price is low because peak season for citrus is just beginning. It runs in the winter when all of the northern fruits are dormant. December to February is citrus harvest time in Florida.

Yes Silversage, I understand that. I'm in Wisconsin and we rarely if ever see oranges for less than 3 oranges / $1, ever. I think we are too far north to get good citrus prices, let alone a big deal like we saw today. I was wrong about the price it wasn't 3#/99 cents, it was 4#/99 cents.

I'll be canning orange sections tomorrow.

So I was thinking if *I* see this kind of rare price, maybe others will too. I can only hope. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom