Got a Lot of Garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your goal is to make it into a paste, it is 1000% easier to do that way.

I learned it from tv chefs

Its pretty difficult to smash a whole fresh garlic clove into a paste

I've seen TV chefs do that also. Much easier to scrap into a paste with the side of a knife with salt if the pieces are smaller.
I have smashed and then chopped/minced and the sprinkled the salt and dragged my knife to make a paste. It works fine in that order. I'm not trying to turn the whole clove into paste before I chop it up. I don't try to smash the whole thing to paste straight from whole clove.

It wasn't bad. It was one clove. Oh, the other thing that sometimes used to happen - the garlic would just go flying without smashing. I gave up on that and started laying the knife on the garlic and squishing the knife down by leaning on it with the palm of my non-dominant hand on the knife.
Actually, at first when I gave up whacking the garlic with the knife, I copied Julia Child's method. She would lay the garlic on the cutting board. Then, she would put the chef's knife flat on the garlic and give it a good whack with the side of her fist. I did that until the day I got too enthusiastic or something. I managed to open a two inch long break in the skin on the side of my fist. I did it with the not-sharp, fat side of the Henckels chef knife.

1727438812420.png

Sometimes I don't even peel them... I do rinse directly after use.
Only once did I take it further to make a paste but didn't find a big difference. So if you still want a paste, easy enough at this point to add your salt and press away with the side of your knife.

Actually the garlic press I have also has a cherry/olive pitter as part of the handle. Couldn't find a picture of one.

View attachment 70839
Sometimes I don't even peel them... I do rinse directly after use.
Only once did I take it further to make a paste but didn't find a big difference. So if you still want a paste, easy enough at this point to add your salt and press away with the side of your knife.

Actually the garlic press I have also has a cherry/olive pitter as part of the handle. Couldn't find a picture of one.
I used to have one of those. But it broke and I just never bought another one. Usually I just slice the cloves, then go to town on them with my chef knife until they're chopped coarsely or fine, depending on how teenie I want the bits.

Actually, at first when I gave up whacking the garlic with the knife, I copied Julia Child's method. She would lay the garlic on the cutting board. Then, she would put the chef's knife flat on the garlic and give it a good whack with the side of her fist. I did that until the day I got too enthusiastic or something. I managed to open a two inch long break in the skin on the side of my fist. I did it with the not-sharp, fat side of the Henckels chef knife.
Oh dear. How did you manage that one???

Maybe I'll just stick to slicing and dicing :whistling

My knife is a Henckels too (I may have already mentioned that, but I can't recall). I love it. Sliced into a big cantaloupe the other day and it barely took any effort at all, when before I bought that knife, I would struggle just trying to get the other knife I always used down into the rind. But with my Henckels, *whoosh*, melon open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom