Gluten-free flour and xantham gum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinylhanger

Sous Chef
I have started to get into baking and am wondering about xantham gum and 1 to 1 flours. Most recipes say to use xantham gum if your flour doesn't already contain it. But then they list a brand that does, but still say to use it.

If I use for instance Pillsbury or Red Barn that has it in the ingredients, do I still need to add the 1/4 teaspoon or so it usually says to add?

What does too much xantham gum do?

Years ago I did some gluten free baking for a lady I knew, and used guar and xantham gums, and various grain and legume flours I would make. 1/2 tsp/cup of flour was the amount suggested for cookies, cakes, and quick breads, and 1 tsp/cup of flour for yeast breads. I never bought pre-mixed flours, but I assume that they must have the smaller amount in them, and tell you to add more for the yeast breads.

I remember some recipes I saw that called for double those amounts - 1 and 2 tsp - per cup of flour, for the cake and bread flour, so adding that 1/4 tsp/cup that they suggest will probably not be too much. I also remember that if too much is added it could result in a "slimy" texture, which, fortunately, I never experienced. I never really got the yeast breads nearly as good as the real thing, except for pizzas and flat breads.

For me, xantham gum is a topic because the idea of adding gum is to simulate the glue from gluten. Now, not all gluten is bad.

What I mean, is if you use non-GMO gluten (real organic wheat) should be healthier than using an additive that we don't know exactly where is coming from.

Try to use less processed flours and you will get healthier and tastier bread, cookies, pizzas, etc.

Have a great one,
Ed.

For me, xantham gum is a topic because the idea of adding gum is to simulate the glue from gluten. Now, not all gluten is bad.

What I mean, is if you use non-GMO gluten (real organic wheat) should be healthier than using an additive that we don't know exactly where is coming from.

Try to use less processed flours and you will get healthier and tastier bread, cookies, pizzas, etc.

Have a great one,
Ed.
Gluten is gluten, and if you have celiac disease or an allergy to gluten, it doesn't matter if it's gluten from non-GMO flour; it will still make you sick.

My daughter has celiac disease, and when I bake for her, I usually use psyllium husk. Nothing wrong with xanthum gum, it isn't like you use a lot of it.

I mix my own flours, though there are some good gluten-free blends out there these days.

Have to admit, I´ve never used xantham gum in baking, but some colleagues use it to make (industrial) salad dressings. It has the effect of "thickening" the oil/vinegar mixture - but can also be slimy if over-used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom