Gimpy's Boobie Gyro's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GimpyMagoo

Discombobulated BBQ'r
I started this recipe over in the Sausage group here:
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f31/gyros-er-sausage-22126.html

The idea was to treat this Gyro meat stuff like sausage. My first several attempts at Gyros ended up dry with the texture of cardboard. So I figured I'd whip it up and cook it very low to retain some fat, read: moist.
So far so good.
this is the first attempt and I must say it turned out very well. My teenage sons gave it a thumbs up calling it "Boobies". that's an extreme compliment in this house - lol
Code:
Ingredients
1 lb Ground sirloin (or standard 80/20 ground beef)
1 lb ground sausage
2 tsp Granulated onion
2 tsp Dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp Granulated garlic
1 tsp Sea salt (or Kosher)
1 tsp Dried marjoram
1 tsp Dried thyme
1 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
3/8 tsp Cure #1 or Prague
Combine the beef, sausage, granulated onion, oregano, granulated garlic, sea salt, marjoram, thyme, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.

Roll up your sleeves and get those freshly-washed hands in that meat! There's simply no dainty way do do this. Mix it evenly so that all of the ingredients are well incorporated. Squishing between your fingers works well.

Whip 1/4-1/2lb at a time in a food processor until it looks like baloney meat and sticky.
Mix together again and place in a loaf pan lined in plastic wrap. Tamp it down well in the pan and place another load pan on top of the meat and weight it down somehow. I used two mason jars filled with water and caped. Let rest in the fridge overnight. Mine stayed int he fridge three days 'cause I kept forgetting about it - lol.

Remove and unwrap and place under the broiler and brown the top and the bottom. This, I feel, helped seal in the juices.

Reduce the heat to 140 degrees for one hour. Then to 155 degrees for an hour, then 165 for an hour. The rais the temp to 275 until the internal temp shows 160. I used my MES (Mastercraft Electric smoker, no smoke).

Once done let rest at least 15 minutes covered.

Slice thin with three slices in a tortilla or flat bread. add lettuce, tomatoes, onions if you like etc.
We used Sour cream because I forgot to get Greek yogurt to make

Tzatziki Sauce
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt, or drained plain yogurt
1/8 cup Honey
1 medium Cucumber
1 tsp Dried dill
1 tsp Sea salt (or Kosher)
1/2 tsp Ground white pepper
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Delicious!

20121011_133845-1.jpg

20121011_133858-1.jpg

20121011_134055-1.jpg

20121011_134907-1.jpg

20121011_135914-1.jpg

20121011_195238-1.jpg

Sorry, we where so hungry I plum forgot to take pics of the the completed meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom