Ghee instead of butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be funny if it was not so sad, but back in Soviet Union butter was not so easy to come by. Whenever my mother would get her hands on butter she would make gee/clarified butter because of its stable shelf life. That was done out of necessity, now it's a new trend, albeit useful.

And as a side note. After gee is made, set it on water bath add a bunch of baking chocolate mix well. Now you have chocolate butter. An amazing treat. Sorry do not know the percentages.

It is still a trend.

Last edited:
Am I a clown, or is ghee nothing more than clarified butter? please clarify my doubts as well! If it's something different, please educate me!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Yes, ghee is clarified butter, but taken one step further. When you clarify butter, you strain or skim the milk solids out as soon as they separate. When making ghee, you allow the solids to remain in the butterfat and cook until they’re browned, then you strain it. The browned milk solids give the butter a dark golden hue and a delicious, rich, nutty flavor.

That is why in India they use ghee. It is not new. It is for the shelf life, I use it for the high smoke point. Plus I do like the flavour as well, with no extra salt.
Only when I make a brown butter sauce - I use unclarified salted butter to brown the solids.

Ghee should be from unsalted butter. I believe in North America the quantity of salt added to butter is not regulated. You could have some butters much saltier than others. This is the reason so many recipes specify unsalted butter. You then add the amount you know will be right for the dish.
The fact you are removing the water and milk solids from salted butter is going to make your ghee extremely salty.

It is becoming more popular in North America because more people are experimenting with other ethnic cooking and trying to use ingredients as close to the original as possible.

Last edited:
Ross, I keep hoping that those who've gone inactive are more from being fed up with us than some personal issue.

Funny how we worry about people we've never met but feel we sort of know and like, not personally but at least on these boards. For that reason I'd rather hear they were 'fed up' instead of being unable. Witness Pecanis and BuckyTom. Miss them and a few others too.

Ross, I keep hoping that those who've gone inactive are more from being fed up with us than some personal issue.

Funny how we worry about people we've never met but feel we sort of know and like, not personally but at least on these boards. For that reason I'd rather hear they were 'fed up' instead of being unable. Witness Pecanis and BuckyTom. Miss them and a few others too.

Yes. I know that a few just got fed up or feelings hurt and left us.

I do recall that Joel and/or his partner seemed to be having health problems and I worry that is the reason he left. There are others who's names I cannot come up with who seemed to have had health issues also.

If someone leaves because of anger or hurt feelings, its one thing. It is those who might be ill that I am concerned with.

Ross

Yes. I know that a few just got fed up or feelings hurt and left us.

I do recall that Joel and/or his partner seemed to be having health problems and I worry that is the reason he left. There are others who's names I cannot come up with who seemed to have had health issues also.

If someone leaves because of anger or hurt feelings, its one thing. It is those who might be ill that I am concerned with.

Ross

That's what worries me too.

If you go over the recommended norm, everything will be harmful for your health.

When opposed to butter, ghee has a greater smoke point, thus it doesn't burn as quickly. This is ideal for frying or sautéing meals. At 350°F, butter can smoke and burn, but ghee can endure heat up to 485°F. When compared to other oils, ghee creates less of the toxin acrylamide when heated.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's up with this thread? I keep getting email notifications that there is a new post, but there isn't. And the "View First Unread" but is there, but it just reloads the page and there still isn't anything new.

your not the only one taxy, me too.

and now posts by Andy and GG have disappeared as well.

This thread is definitely compromised.

edit:
plus even though I've read a "Latest Forum Topics" they show as unread.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong here - just some unwanted posts with gratuitous links (now removed) that bumped the thread up the recent posts list.

Back
Top Bottom