Gathering Sumac berries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We went out searching then gathering sumac berries late this afternoon. We have found a patch less than a mile from us. They are native to Wisconsin and Minnesota, many other areas.

We collect the red berries, the white ones are poisonous. Then we'll process them and make some za'tar, or zaatar. A mixture of sumac, thyme, white sesame seed, possibly salt.

Mr bliss likes it on ww spaghetti with tomato mushroom sauce.

I think we have enough, they are sour like vit C sour, like lemon but not as sour. They were used by the indians in our area for the sour flavor, like sumac 'lemonade' a little sugar added for sweetness.

If I don't have enough we'll collect some more. They are just turning their leaves from green to red, so spectacular in color. (by the way the high bush cranberries are also turning right now, the leaves are half red and green, the berries are drooping and red, just right to make a highbush cranberry ketchup or jam.)

Lucky you! Not native around here, but in my pantry, to make that za'tar with, as well as many recipes calling for it. One of many sour ingredients I often use, when I don't want that vinegar aroma.

We went on a walk with a guy who forages for local wild foods ( Sumac, nuts, wild persimmons, mushrooms). I remember collecting the wild sumac. He had suggested making a doing out of it, since it has that tartness like a lemon. It was actually really good. Haven't collected any in awhile but see them all over.

I remember being told while in college that the range of poison sumac included NJ - including the pine barrens, where I was when I was in school, back in the 70s, and we were shown photos of them, so we would be able to watch for them, along with the usual poison ivy and oak. Only saw the poison sumac once, in all that time, and never since then, fortunately. I see red sumac's range still doesn't include this area.

Last edited:
I have a 300-gram bag of Baraka brand sumac powder. Used 5 grams in a glaze recipe. The rest has been frozen, double bagged for six months. Sure wish I knew what else to do with it. Any suggestions?

We went on a walk with a guy who forages for local wild foods ( Sumac, nuts, wild persimmons, mushrooms). I remember collecting the wild sumac. He had suggested making a doing out of it, since it has that tartness like a lemon. It was actually really good. Haven't collected any in awhile but see them all over.
Making a "doing" out of it? Is this a typo?

I have a 300-gram bag of Baraka brand sumac powder. Used 5 grams in a glaze recipe. The rest has been frozen, double bagged for six months. Sure wish I knew what else to do with it. Any suggestions?
Mmmmm, I love sumac. Here are a few recipes that use it.
- https://littleferrarokitchen.com/sumac-onion/
- https://www.designsponge.com/2019/07/roast-chicken-with-sumac-and-red-onions-giveaway.html
- You can also use it to make za'atar and then use that as a seasoning for grilled or roasted meats or chicken - https://www.seriouseats.com/grilled-whole-chicken-with-za-atar

Mr bliss found a bunch more, redder than the last batch. We have them all rubbed off the branches now, three thick trays of them drying the dehydrator tonight. We both worked for a couple hours to get them all off the 'branches'.

Then they get processed in the food processor and separate the flavorful outside layer from the seed part, discard the seed. I'll use strainers to separate them. I'm not saying it will be easy or non-messy. The plants are so prolific and spread in an invasive way, so you if grow them, they tend to spread and take over. They are native to 48 states in the US.

The indians used them in place of lemon or citrus, high in vitamin C, for the sour flavor. They are mildly sour and not very noticeable in zaatar, but they are just slightly sour and accent the other flavors in it.

Yeah, I see them all over the place here. They are so prolific, its almost like they are invasive. They line many of the major roads here. You can see all of their red berry clusters as you drive by, and usually look really nice when the leaves start to change colors.

Sumac and then juniper?

Yeah, I see them all over the place here. They are so prolific, its almost like they are invasive. They line many of the major roads here. You can see all of their red berry clusters as you drive by, and usually look really nice when the leaves start to change colors.

I remember Mom saying, all the way back from the 50's, that these were extremely invasive and you don't want to let them get in your garden!

Remember also asking if those red cones were edible or poisonous, sort of thought like cat-tails are. Was told they weren't toxic but bitter and too fuzzy to eat. LOL... well so are cat-tails if you don't get them young! :LOL:

Don't remember ever being told they were the spice. Actually only learned recently that a) sumac was a spice b) was a common plant (the ones I grew up knowing) rather than an exotic plant from somewhere else.

Question..
The other plant I just never even thought about is juniper. Are those from our common garden plant that get the blue berries in the fall? I mostly see red berries in gardens but I've seen occasional blue, although mostly in the woods.

I don't think that it is correct to call a native species "invasive". I believe the accepted term is "aggressive". So, I would say that sumac is aggressive.

I am not expert at all in junipers, but I have gathered the blue juniper berries from a neighbour's bush / tree and used them in cooking. They certainly tasted right.

BTW, dragn, thanks for the reminder. I should go pick some juniper berries. I'm almost out and they are used in some Danish dishes.

Last edited:
As we are dehydrating the berries, or droops or drupes, they are furry and light weight, a very strange texture, and could be blown away in the breeze.

Back
Top Bottom