Garden 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a rhyme about planting too. As taxy says -
Plant on the 24th of May
It's the Queen's birthday.
(RIP) -and that's when we would plant.
But in southern Ontario, it is usually around Mother's Day.

When we moved to Minnesota, no one believed us, that we actually lived further south in Canada than where we were there, in the States. LOL

He has one more week-end to go and I hope he doesn't get stung this time. He's going to wear taller rubber boots to avoid the ankle stings. So far neither of us have stings from our own bees.
bliss, my DH wears ankle-height work boots when he's working the bees. He keeps the bottom of his pants outside the boots and wraps his pants at the ankle tightly with masking tape to prevent the bees from getting in and crawling up his legs. Hope this helps.

We had a rhyme about planting too. As taxy says -
Plant on the 24th of May
It's the Queen's birthday.
(RIP) -and that's when we would plant.
But in southern Ontario, it is usually around Mother's Day.

When we moved to Minnesota, no one believed us, that we actually lived further south in Canada than where we were there, in the States. LOL
I believe you. I grew up in southeastern Michigan. We used to go to Windsor, Ontario, often for dinners and to buy Canadian beer for less $.

bliss, my DH wears ankle-height work boots when he's working the bees. He keeps the bottom of his pants outside the boots and wraps his pants at the ankle tightly with masking tape to prevent the bees from getting in and crawling up his legs. Hope this helps.
Yes. Masking tape seemed to do the trick one day, which saved him. When they work in the night, the bees are looking for a warm place to curl up in, and the bottoms of jeans are the problems. We have the straps for ankles, but they still like the area below the jeans ankle strap. He happens to have tall boots, so he decided to wear those this coming week-end.

Those Oaxacan Jewels are the largest tomato plants in my garden, and the first I saw any flower buds on! I saw one of those megablossoms on one a couple of days ago, and all of them had a couple clusters of unopened buds. And that Hippie Zebra was another that has a bunch of buds on, and the Juliet F3 have a cluster. Usually, it's cherry tomatoes that are first, but not one shows any buds yet.
First blossom on any of my tomatoes - a megablossom on one of those Oaxacan Jewel plants. 5-17 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Flower buds on one of the Hippie Zebras, 5-17 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The last of the tomatoes with flower buds - Juliete F3, 5-17 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Nice to see everything is either ahead of schedule or on track. Most of my tomatoes I started from seed indoors, and are doing well outdoors ( planted them outside about a week ago). The plants I ordered online came aa few weeks early, so I had to baby them indoors until it was time to harden them up. The Sun Gold, which I ordered online, loved the indoor conditions and its almost twice as big as the others , with a bunch of flowers on it already. The July 4th, also ordered online, must have loved the indoor conditions too. When I went to bring it outside to harden, there was a green tomato, about the size of a golf ball, already on the plant. Wasnt there when I received it. All the others are looking good. Was kinda cold last night, but I checked on everything this morning, and everything looks healthy. Its supposed to progressively get warmer throughout the week.

Well, first it's too cold and then it's too hot. We just had a week of high temps and I made sure to water well. Everything is coming up like weeds, except the snapdragons.

My sunflowers are like Jack's beanstalk and the corn is about an inch+ high. The climbing rose was growing like a rocket until the deer chomped it down, so now there's netting over that. The deer seem to not like the pampas plants.

Speaking of pampas, I found out they're considered a noxious weed here in Washington. And so is butterfly bush. No nursery sells butterfly bush in Washington and it's illegal to ship them in from another state. I was really looking forward to planting three of them by my driveway.

My wisteria died, so I took it out of the bucket and planted parsley instead, and that's coming up. The "blue" tulips (of which there are no such thing) came up and they're white, not blue. Whatever. I just finished planting marigolds and Shasta daisies so we'll see what happens with them.

In the front where I planted 5 irises, one is up and growing. I threw the dahlias out there and so far I haven't seen any growth from them, but surprise, surprise! The gladiolas I planted last year are coming up! I found that out by weeding a little bit and trying to pull one of them up because I thought it was a weed. I'm not too bright about plants.

I know I'm not very bright about plants because I kept waiting for the tulips to open. Yesterday one lost its petals and then I realized - tulips. That's what they look like. They don't "open" like a rose or a daisy. I'm sorry I can't tell my mom that. I sent her roses for Mother's Day last year and they arrived as buds. She wanted to know why I sent her a bunch of tulips. Now she could laugh back at me.

And I finally got the bleeding heart in the shade. This whole heat wave it's been out in direct sun. I'll be surprised if it grows.

The good news is the contractor is supposed to be out here next week doing my yard. When he's done with that, later on this summer I'll finally be able to put out some raised beds. Woohoohoo!

Sounds like my weather, @rodentraiser - either too hot or too cold! I will say I've had some decent weather, when I spent a lot of time out there. Only ran my AC one day, so far - when it got to 85° one day, and a lot of areas nearby had record highs, for that date. But more than a week later, last night it got down to 45° overnight, and many places west of Philly had frost advisories. Fortunately, none of my peppers or basils (the plants most sensitive to cold, in my experience) were bothered by the cold. And today, when I went to trim the suckers off most of the tomatoes, some had even more growth since yesterday, and a few more showed some unopened blossoms, though I'm surprised that some more those cherries aren't showing these.

I sprouted more of my okra seeds several days ago, mostly the Little Lucy Red, since I had a lot of saved seeds. To see how it did, in comparison, I planted 2 of the sprouted seeds in the 2 spots outside, to see if they grew as fast as the ones in the pellets, and they might do it! So the extras in the pellets will go to my friend's garden, along with any bitter melons. I got both of the new white bitter melon seeds sprouted, and 5 of 6 saved white BM, and they are in the Jiffy Pellets. Also have 6 polaris butternut seeds sprouted, and in pellets. Other than these, all that's left inside are 3 pepper plants, really late sprouted ones - a red savina, for me, and a datil and wartryx for my friend, who likes peppers almost as much as I do!

I planted 3 tiny tomato plants outside a week ago. So far they are still alive!

I also planted some potatoes in "potato bags". They seem to be doing okay, though I think I am supposed to be putting compost on top of them, which seems mad, but that's what the instructions say to do, so...

Putting some runner bean seeds out tomorrow, along with some sweet pea plants - the hope is that one or the other will grow up the cane "teepee" and look pretty! (If I get some tender runner beans out of it too, it will be a bonus.)

Today, my brother Ollie decided to strim the front garden. Unfortunately, he can't tell a weed from a newly and expensively planted Hydrangea, which he proceeded to massacre. Several stems are gone, others have had the "bark" stripped from portions of them. Whether "Victoria" the Hydrangea survives only time will tell. (Harriet the Hawthorn tree I planted in the back garden 3 years ago, is now a gorgeous young tree, providing super dappled protection from the sun and about to burst into bloom.) And no, I don't "name" all my plants! Just the special ones. :)

Not a Garden story = but one year I did a beautiful HUGE roast chicken. Time to serve came just as I had to go to the barn, so my late brother (RIP) served up. While waiting for me he also cleaned up......

and tossed a whole roasting pan of the most delicious gravy that I worked me a$$ off to make perfect. He was not a sauce/gravy lover and thought it was just a by product.

I warned him they would never find his body 'in the back 40' should he ever do something like that again!

Oh no Dragon!! That's terrible! I was a bit quietly devastated at the carnage Ollie perpetrated on my beloved new Hydrangea, but I should have known he would need supervision, so just as much my fault. I did mention it to him and he watched as I cut a small moat around it and said he was not to strim anywhere near it. (To be fair, I am astonished at how calm I was.)

Meanwhile, next Saturday is finally Chelsea Flower Show! Should I post any thoughts/pics here, or a separate thread? (Possibly minimal interest.)

You can post here - garden is garden! Culinary or flower it's still a garden.
Should you wish you could actually just do one dedicated to the Chelsea Flower Show - LOL - No one would mind a single bit. All would love to see the beautiful plants and flowers there. It's inspirational!

I
You can post here - garden is garden! Culinary or flower it's still a garden.
Should you wish you could actually just do one dedicated to the Chelsea Flower Show - LOL - No one would mind a single bit. All would love to see the beautiful plants and flowers there. It's inspirational!
I've never been before so don't know what to expect at all! (I've only ever seen it on TV). But being surrounded by amazing greenery is something I love, (and something I am trying to create at home in a very small way), so I am expecting to be awe-inspired!

I think I am going to be way out of my depth! I don't even know what to wear! (It seems very posh!)

(I looked up the "pre-booked lunch" options today. That was a mistake.) Lunch per person is more than the already outlandish entry price.

But I need to view this as a once in a lifetime opportunity. So make the most of it!

I have read about growing potatoes in straw in a barrel. You put about six inches of good soil at the bottom. You put a few seed potatoes on the soil and cover with the straw. As the plant grows through the straw more straw is added. This is repeated. That way you are supposed to get a very long area of potato production.

I imagine it is a similar idea with the potato bags, but the compost is adding nutrition. I'm pretty sure you don't cover up the plant.

This page describes how to grow potatoes in grow bags and has an illustration of the process. You don't cover the plants completely, but, since potatoes grow underground, you can grow more in a smaller area by growing them vertically. It's also easier to harvest.

How To Grow Your Own Potatoes

I saw 2 more of those megablossoms on those Oaxacan Jewels yesterday; no more open blossoms on any other plants, however. And those plants are getting large FAST! The Brandyboys are almost as large, and all are starting to take off now, even the smallest ones.

The wind finally died down, and I got to cover my pepper-maggot-prone peppers - 3 sets of them, 15 total. Jalapeños, Hanoi Markets, and larger, milder peppers were always ones that would get them. The jalapeños, as always, had the most unopened blossoms, but Big Mic also had a few, even though they were smaller plants (the smaller ones on the left, in this photo). I picked off all I could, before covering, since it would be my last chance, for a while.
One Earthbox of peppers, before covering with the light Agribon. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

One of the covered boxes of peppers, and Wartryx by itself, in the box to the left. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I put my last pepper in today - the Red Savina that I started late, because the chocolate habanero seeds did not germinate, so I tried some of the closest thing I had.
Red Savina - my last pepper to go in, 5-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Eggplants are doing great! The Ichiban is the largest, but not by much. None have even unopened blossoms yet, but are growing well.

Ichiban eggplant, 5-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Batak eggplant, L, and LA Long Green, 5-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

HI University Eggplant, L, and Choruoku green, 5-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Asian String eggplant, 5-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom