Garden 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my rr, you sure are tenacious. I don't know if I could persevere under that onslaught! Bravo to you!

LOL, I'm rooting for the sunflowers!
If the birds don't eat them and the squirrels miss them, the sunflowers seeds that are left from the bird seed always seem to grow and then the deer eat the flowers.

But someone last year planted a giant sunflower that must have been 8 ft tall. The deer couldn't reach the flower and apparently they didn't like the leaves. So guess what I got this year. And they'll be planted before the end of the week.

Where I live now, pretty much the only warm blooded pest I have is squirrels. My neighbour said that squirrels don't like the smell of onion, so put onion slices around the plants you want to protect. I tried it and it worked. I separated the onion slices into the various layers. They worked until they got dry. Then I put new ones. I noticed that they worked again, if they got rained on, so I started watering my onion slices. :LOL: It might help if the squirrels start on your garden.

I'm actually encouraging squirrels. I love our red squirrels. What I'm worried about is with the cats hanging around now, they'll get my squirrels and chipmunks. The black cat is a hunter and she's already gotten a couple of mice and a rat that got in my trailer.

I'm actually encouraging squirrels. I love our red squirrels. What I'm worried about is with the cats hanging around now, they'll get my squirrels and chipmunks. The black cat is a hunter and she's already gotten a couple of mice and a rat that got in my trailer.
Oh, I love my squirrels. I just don't like them bothering my plants. They still come into the yard when I have the onion slices around the plants I'm protecting. I wouldn't worry too much about the cats getting the squirrels. I have seen squirrels taunt cats too many times. Are there trees on your property? Cats can climb, but nowhere near as well as squirrels. If there are trees, then for sure the squirrels can get away from cats.

Ive had squirrels run away with whole (4 -5 ft) stalks of corn and whole heads of sunflowers in their mouths. The raccoons knocked off about 50 peaches from the tree about 1 week before I was going to pick them. I also hear them in the apple trees fighting.I finally got the mole/ vole problem under control ( my cats). But when I had my raised beds put in, I had to line the bottoms with wire mesh so they couldn't tunnel their way in. That did work.

Oh, I love my squirrels. I just don't like them bothering my plants. They still come into the yard when I have the onion slices around the plants I'm protecting. I wouldn't worry too much about the cats getting the squirrels. I have seen squirrels taunt cats too many times. Are there trees on your property? Cats can climb, but nowhere near as well as squirrels. If there are trees, then for sure the squirrels can get away from cats.
Do I have trees. LMAO, all I have are trees except for a half acre cleared in the middle.

The reason I'm worried about the squirrels is because they're the small Douglas squirrels, probably not much bigger than a large rat. And of course the chipmunks are the size of rats. Just cuter.

The cat tried catching a quail the other day and that was bigger than the red squirrel. But if Reddy was still around, she'd probably chase the cat. Those little red squirrels are pretty aggressive. Reddy used to chase anything that came onto her territory and that included large rabbits and those huge ringtail pigeons.

I set my tomato seeds to soak overnight - they'll be planted in the morning. And I just saw the first eggplant seeds sprout this morning. I took my greens seedlings outside, to make room, but didn't plant them due to that storm coming having some bad winds.

I just saw the first tiny sprout on the tray tonight - not sure which kind, but I'll look tomorrow. I also got a chocolate habanero - the first one - and another wartryx. I had actually given up on that chocolate hab, and tried soaking some seeds (along with red savinas - my second favorite) in KSO4, to see if that works.

While in Washington State, I got some Walla Walla onion sets. They seem to be limping along. The garlic seems to be moving forward, which is awesome - I've not had luck with it before. I tried to start an asparagus bed some years back. After I noted five years, I decided the location was not ideal for asparagus, SO I decided to plant potatoes. After chitting them, I buried the seed potatoes in hay and am trying a "no dig" method. Today, I find two asparagus spears poking up through the straw.

Some tomatoes are starting in the milk cartons as are the cucumbers. The peppers, eggplant, and other tomatoes are still sleeping. I've planted a couple of raspberry sticks and hope they will root and grow. The beets seem to be off to a good start, but lettuce is not moving much. Am excited about seeing how the season goes!

A note about squirrels. A few years ago, I grew a few tiny rows of corn. The corn grew great and had MULTIPLE ears on each stalk! I watched daily and decided the next day, I would harvest my first ears. I go out in the morning to see all of the ears had been harvested. They were shucked and the cobs were all that was left laying scattered through the yard. It was squirrels! I kid you not - they are as adept at shucking corn as a raccoon. At least they are cute.

After the ice saints pass, I will plant some green beans!

A note about squirrels. A few years ago, I grew a few tiny rows of corn. The corn grew great and had MULTIPLE ears on each stalk! I watched daily and decided the next day, I would harvest my first ears. I go out in the morning to see all of the ears had been harvested. They were shucked and the cobs were all that was left laying scattered through the yard. It was squirrels! I kid you not - they are as adept at shucking corn as a raccoon. At least they are cute.
A more detailed story about the squirrel and my corn., Years back I planted a few rows of corn. They grew big and healthy looking. From my kitchen window, you can see the garden, so anytime Im by the sink, I pear out just to look at its. One day, I notice one of the stalks kinda shimmering. At first I assumed maybe it was the wind, or one of the cats running through the garden but it was just one stalk. next thing I knew, the stalk fell over and started making its way across my yard, towards the woodsy area being towed by a squirrel. Not just one ear, but like a 4 -5 foot stalk of corn, The damn thing probably thought it won the lottery. All that went through my mind was that scene in Caddy Shack, where the golf pole starts moving, and disappears due to the gophers tunneling through the golf course.

I now grow pop corn in large pots on the patio, near the house ( where the cats hang out). Was relatively successful last year, thanks to my 'guard cats'

Squirrels are the one "predator" we don't have. They are around, but there are pecan bottoms near the creek, and we have no nut trees and they don't want to trek all the way up from the bottoms to eat a few pears and apples.
Rodentraiser, praise that black cat to the heavens! We used to have a fall invasion of mice in the house, just looking for a nice winter home. Since Mamacat and her five kittens arrived a few years ago, we haven't seen a mouse and the barn rats are gone also. We feed the outdoor cats (no longer feral!) but they like to hunt. I think they are just keeping their skills honed, just in case.

The animals are seasonal here. We have squirrels and chipmunks, voles, deer, rabbits, fox, coyote, mice, sandhill cranes, and deer. Some years none of a few kinds, another year lots of one kind or another.
2019 was big on raccoons (13) and deer.
traps-002.jpg

andrewfawns.jpg

We trap and dispatch the raccoons and mice. We run off the deer.
The fox runs off on their own. We have to yell and run after the sandhill cranes to keep them out of the yard.
Squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits are mostly a problem when we are sprouting beans. The tender new growth attracts them and mr bliss takes care of that. We also cover seedlings with netting which helps a lot.
Once we had a huge owl swoop into the yard to kill a mouse or chipmunk or rabbit. It sat there eating next to the garden leaving fur bits everywhere. It was cool and gross at the same time. When we find feathers and bits of birds in the yard, we assume it is an eagle or owl or hawk.

We have a large old deck on the house and rabbits are the biggest problem with them trying to nest under there. The rabbits come out early in the mornings and just before it gets dark. We have some chicken wire fencing we sometimes use at the easiest entry points.

I read an article about beans today. It mentioned that indigenous people here on Turtle Island (North America) used the three sisters method of growing beans. Corn is planted and then beans are planted around the corn. The corn supports the beans and the beans put extra nitrogen in the soil, which fertilizes the corn. The third sister is squash, which is planted between the corn stalks. It shades the ground and prevents most weeds from growing and gets a small amount of shade from the corn. The hairy stems and big leaves of the squash keeps most animals away from the corn and beans. I knew about the three sisters method of growing corn, beans, and squash, but I didn't know that it deterred the animals that want to munch on the crops.

Interesting - I didn't know that part about it, either - just the part of the beans adding N.

A lot of my tomatoes are coming up now, as well as the peppers; almost all of the eggplants have germinated. The experiment I am doing with a different soaking solution (17.4 g KSO4 : 500 ml water, compared to my usual 15.2 g KNO3) is showing faster germinating for 3 seeds of one variety - I put about 10 seeds in each solution, of 2 varieties I had a lot of, so I could compare them. The 3 of the KSO4 soaked seeds are totally sprouted, and nothing visible in the KNO3 soaked ones. The other ones I had a good number of, that I'm testing, are frutescens peppers, which are usually slower.

I think raccoons, at least, need to be taught that corn is good. For about 4 years I fed the raccoons when I lived in a trailer park. They loved cat food, peanuts, and French toast.

At the same time, my neighbor in the next trailer parked in front and used his driveway as a little garden and he grew corn there. He never had a problem with the raccoons raiding his corn. Maybe he had some deterrent there, I don't know. But for all the raccoons that went through our park, none touched his garden.

It has been quite cool here lately, plus I got those 4.45" of rain over 3 days. I put my tomatoes out to start hardening them off; hopefully the cold will slow them down, as they are overgrown, despite being started 6 days later than normal.
My basil seeds are all germinating now, and a bunch of volunteer dills all over. Here are some of my perennial herbs coming back strong. The old rosemary wasn't totally killed off, but I dug it up and planted the one I had in a fabric pot, "back up plant", and this season I'll start another one, as a back up. The Syrian oregano also got killed almost entirely from the two 7° nights, which didn't bother it other years - I covered the clump with a very thick layer of dry leaves, but it didn't help this year. But, I took some cuttings, as always, and rooted them (easy to root) and kept those as back ups, and they are growing quickly.
Sweet marjoram, 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

My large leaf sage, coming back strong, 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Italian sage, grown from Renee's seeds, years ago. Coming back, after cutting totally back, for the winter. 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rosemary, getting a lot of new growth after a lot of rain. 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About half of the mint bed, showing the peppermint (larger leaves) getting stronger this year. 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Regular chives, slower than the garlic, and I planted a bunch more new seeds, coming up in the area. 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some of the clusters of garlic chives, with several more elsewhere. 5-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Only thing of interest in my garden so far is chives. They are coming back nicely. There isn't really anything else culinary that will come back. I'll put out some pots when the weather gets a bit more reliable.

Looking great Pepper.
Always a good idea to have 'back up plants', as it is sometimes unpredictable who's going to make it through the winter. I was a little surprised this year, cause in general, it was a mild winter. But like you, we had only a few very cold days, but that seemed to be enough to affect some plants. My chives are back, but each year, the clump is decreasing in size. Still a hand full of flowers ( which are a week or two away from blooming). I'll be sure to collect some seeds , and make sure the others drop to allow he clump to ge bigger again. Thses chives mean a lot to me, as they are directly from my dads garden (20 + years ago). I really don't want them to die off. What's still there looks healthy thought.
- My fig trees, although wrapped up ( and now unwrapped) looks like they had a decent amount of damage, again, probably from the few really cold days. Im sure they'll come back, but may affect whether or not they fruit this year.
- Bay leaf plant needs to be repotted. I bring that into the garage each year. This is its 3rd or 4th year which is the longest I've ever had one.
- Curry leaf plants, also potted and placed in aa plant room I made in the garage, look like crap, but they bounce back quickly and vigorously, so Im not worried .
- I'm going to wait til the end of the week to start hardening the tomatoes. By then, the lows shouldn't be less than 50F. They're not leggy yet, but heading in that direction. I have way more than I need, so I may harden a few to see how they do ( as guinea pigs) and then put the rest out there.
- Burpee send me my pepper plants on the early side, so Im baby sitting them in the plant room ( which stays a constant 70F), along with some strange eggplant variety which I got the seeds for for free on a seed order.
- In addition, I just started my some cakes, squash, okra, peanuts, string and pole beans in cells. They are germinating in the plant too,, and once they're a few inches big Ill start hardening them.
- Only thing left that tIll have to pick up at the nursery are a few pepper and eggplants, some basil and parsley. Then the fun begins by trying to keep them alive and thriving for a few months. Looking forward too it.

- Right now, the lettuce, arugula, kale, ramps, and unexpected Mushrooms ( which have a mind of their own) are harvestable.

-Garlic, onions, potatoes, chard and peas seem to be doing well
Popcorn, Dill and cilantro are taking their time

- I pre-fertilized/ prepared the soil for things that will be planted in a few weeks ( Compost, worm castings, nd some other stuff).

- Also released a few rounds of Mason bees. Next week the leaf cutters will be arriving, so have to get the houses ready for them

Today will be crappy out so Ill spend the day planning, watching the tomatoes grow aand checking 100 tines to see if any of the recently planted seeds sprouted yet.

Thought I'd lost the thyme but now see a bit of green starting to show on it. Chives are really doing well (one of the few herbs that come back up here). both regular - huge, and garlic - smaller.
Lost the sage, thought I saw a leaf or two but the cold/rain knocked it right out. Next year I'll cover it. Difficult for me as my sage in Quebec was huge! So I'm surprised it didn't survive here in a slightly warmer environment.
My bay and rosemary did NOT like being brought in the house and promptly died. But I harvested the leaves from the bay and rubbed the rosemary blades off to keep.
Oregano coming back strong - and another one very similar but until I get out there and crush/sniff a leaf or two - I don't remember what it is. :blush:
Funnily enough, I see no sign of the Dill which is certainly a 'prolific proliferator'.

@larry_stewart do you think your chives might die off because of winter, or are they root bound? They might not have enough dirt and nutrients to grow well. I have 2 huge clumps, in WI winters, that come back each year. They ARE root bound. I know I'll have to tear them apart, and repot into 20 containers, and try to off-load/share/sell them as I can't use 20 pots of them.

The last time I tore apart a chive clump, the roots went down a foot, I had to cut all that back, then tear the top into smaller clumps. Messy but I'm glad I did it. They are very hardy.

We're counting on our winter sown tomatoes, but the romas aren't doing well yet. I started some romas in the house, just in case. The keeper onions in wintersown are doing very well. Lots of flower plants are coming up in the winter sown jugs. We're growing flats of 3 kind of peppers in the house and I'm the watering police. lol

I ordered a 1/2 lb of mixed flower seeds, both annuals and perennials for bees to go near the hives. We're retiring the West garden because it gets more shade than the other gardens so that one is for the flowers, shade loving and sun loving. We get bees this week! Woo hoo, we BEE excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom