Fun with eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Cat Lady

Assistant Cook
been playing with eggs in my sous vide machine this morning.

currently trying “poached” eggs. all the recipes i’ve seen have them cooking in shell between 145F and 167F but I find the whites slimy and the shells difficult to peel

currently, I’ve gotten the best results by spraying the inside of a bag with cooking spray, cracking the egg in it, and cooking at 195 for a few minutes. unfortunately, i forgot to set my timer but i’m thinking just under 5 minutes.

the whites are completely set and the yolk is runny but a little too thick.

my 2nd best result was at 190 for 2 minutes then turning it down to 145 for around 10 minutes. yolk was smooth and runny but when i cut it open, the white was a little slimy on the inside. i’m thinking this has the most potential and i just need to tweak the times and temps slightly.

but after all this experimenting, i wondered what’s the point of poaching an egg? it seems like you get the same qualities in an easy over egg but it’s a lot simpler to just fry the egg and you have more options on how you like your whites.

the only advantage i can see is if you want to keep a large batch of eggs warm or if you mistime the rest of the meal

the exception is a broth poached egg since i like the flavor the broth adds to the egg. but i’ve only tried that with scrambled eggs in soup

A poached egg will generally fit on a piece of toast more easily than an over easy egg will. The over easy egg spreads out more while cooking. The poached egg will also ooze the yoke over more of the bread easily. Personally, I don't find it worth the effort, but some people do.

While I love Eggs Benedict when I'm out, making it at home does not involve poached eggs. I fry them in an egg ring with a knob of butter and season with salt & pepper... so much more flavorful.

So yeah... I don't bother with them either.

I don't find egg poaching that much of a chore. When SO and I have corned beef hash we want poached eggs on top. It's easy enough to do while the hash is heating up and getting crusty.

I make poached eggs frequently, for me. (Jeannie doesn't care for them)

I take a simple approach. Simmering water in a small skillet for 3 minutes. Works for me.

I don't sous vide so, no opinion, from me on that.

Ross

methinks frying and poaching results in 'different eggs' - taste, texture - as an example, over easy/hard fried in butter vs bacon grease vs poached in no butter/fat water... it's a pretty long list.

over easy egg sandwich with crispy edges....on toast . . . just not the same as poached on toast.

something like eggs benedict I require the absolute classic prep - eggs 'slided' into swirling water with a touch of acid - I use a small bowl. removed with slotted spoon, damped off/drained on a towel, to the dish in plating progress.

but for poached on toast, I like an oiled mold ring allowed to heat up in simmering water. plunk the egg in - break / not break the yolk to taste (I don't, she does. sigh...)

there are specially "egg rings" but I have (various diameter) molding rings for crab cakes, salmon patties, hamburgers, etc etc - the biggest ring will poach two eggs in one 'round' - also works for homespun egg-mcmuffins...

I get a close-to-poach egg cooked stove top. I'll get a pan hot (but not too, since it's non-stick) with a tiny bit of butter in it. When the butter starts to sizzle, I pour a pre-cracked egg from the ramekin into the pan, drizzle a little bit of ice-cold water into the pan, and clamp a lid down immediately, keeping practically all the steam inside. It takes only a minute or two to completely cook the white, but the yolk is still runny. Himself is perfectly content when I make "poached" eggs this way, so it works for me. (I'm not into runny yolks.)

This way, however, does not use a sous-vide. Since you're having so much fun with your new kitchen toy, play away and let us know if you finally get it right for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom