Frying Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
short answer: no.

gas cooktop
heavy copper pots
thermometer mount
no electric pot used
outside exhausting fan over cooktop / deep frying

the temp I "use" depends on what I'm deep frying.
corn flake crusted oysters / chicken - 350'F or slightly less
double-dredged chicken bits - 375'F
southern fried chicken - sizzle/bubbling oil in half-shallow pan; temp adjusted to sizzle-sounds....

I suppose some folks are uber ultra sensitive to 'frying oil' aromas.
not in our house, that has ever been noted - - - keeping in mind every house has had an exhausting fan . . .

Hmmmm...I use peanut oil, but also fry at 350-375....this could explain the stench in my house when I am done.
Nah, it's just deep frying indoors in general without a really powerful fan that is vented to the outside and residential vent fans don't qualify for the most part imo, odor will always linger way too long without. If I deep fry I do it outside. I think 375 is too high.

I've used a ton of oils over the years, but have recently started using Avocado Oil for frying. My reasons are that it does not typically flavor food, is available in the big box stores, and has a very high smoke point (570 F/271 C). Peanut and corn were my go-to oils prior but both will yield a flavor to what I'm cooking - and sometimes that is what I wanted!

I've used a ton of oils over the years, but have recently started using Avocado Oil for frying. My reasons are that it does not typically flavor food, is available in the big box stores, and has a very high smoke point (570 F/271 C). Peanut and corn were my go-to oils prior but both will yield a flavor to what I'm cooking - and sometimes that is what I wanted!
WOW....avocado oil costs more than twice what I can get peanut oil for. Do you really taste a difference? Having never used it, just asking.

I agree there Yankee, that's expensive stuff Kathleen. You do realize he is referring to deep frying?
I ran this by my wife, and while I personally do not taste any flavor change by using peanut oil, she said she actually likes the flavor that peanut oil puts out??

I do detect a difference but I use avocado whenever I do not use olive oil. Plus, with deep frying, I use it multiple times keeping oil that I deep fry fish separate from chicken. (I store the oil in the fridge between uses after the first use.) While I like the flavor of peanut oil in frying chicken, I don't particularly like it for everything. However, I was simply trying to answer the initial questions which was how to reduce smell (high smoke point, which avocado oils have) and what to do with used cooking oils. :)

1. Avocado oil does not "stink up" my house and has a high smoke point. Also, I get multiple frying sessions from it.
2. There are tons of things you can do with used cooking oils.

No one mentioned wanting a cheap solution. But for a cheap solution, use peanut oil and cook outside. :winkiss: The second point still applies! 😁

Last edited:
I do detect a difference but I use avocado whenever I do not use olive oil. Plus, with deep frying, I use it multiple times keeping oil that I deep fry fish separate from chicken. (I store the oil in the fridge between uses after the first use.) While I like the flavor of peanut oil in frying chicken, I don't particularly like it for everything. However, I was simply trying to answer the initial questions which was how to reduce smell (high smoke point, which avocado oils have) and what to do with used cooking oils. :)

1. Avocado oil does not "stink up" my house and has a high smoke point. Also, I get multiple frying sessions from it.
2. There are tons of things you can do with used cooking oils.

No one mentioned wanting a cheap solution. But for a cheap solution, use peanut oil and cook outside. :winkiss: The second point still applies! 😁
Thank you, Kathleen. When I cook "normal", I use olive oil from a place we have here called "The olive Oil Tap Room". While I may be the cook in the house, I honestly do not taste the difference in cooked foods, but my wife says so, and that it how it is.

I think for large amounts of oil, I will probably stick to my peanut oil as it is more cost effective, and typically all I am frying is chicken and occasionally shrimp.

Thank you for all of your insight.

Thank you, Kathleen. When I cook "normal", I use olive oil from a place we have here called "The olive Oil Tap Room". While I may be the cook in the house, I honestly do not taste the difference in cooked foods, but my wife says so, and that it how it is.

I think for large amounts of oil, I will probably stick to my peanut oil as it is more cost effective, and typically all I am frying is chicken and occasionally shrimp.

Thank you for all of your insight.
My southern grandma and my dad swore by Crisco shortening for frying chicken.

It's very strange, but I honestly don't remember my mom/grandma/anybody! deep frying anything other than donuts!
I am 56 years old, and my Mom did not deep fry anything. She did fry chicken occasionally in a pan, but I have no recollection of what grease/oil she used.

WOW....avocado oil costs more than twice what I can get peanut oil for. Do you really taste a difference? Having never used it, just asking.

I use avocado oil for pan frying. It is very neutral in flavor. I use it in place of olive oil for that purpose. I use EVOO for certain things where I want that flavor, or as a finishing oil.

CD

By the way, I believe the show mentioned in the OP is Myth Munchers, which is on the Mythical Kitchen YouTube channel. They do get too goofy for me at times, but the head chef Josh knows his stuff, and the other young staffers have pretty respectable skills, too. He's gone back and forth with Gordon Ramsey over the years, but they have actually become friends. Chef Ramsey was on a Mythical Kitchen show a week or two ago, and they got along genuinely great.

And here is a link to the Fried Chicken Myth Munchers episode from the OP...

There is also a part two done about six months ago...

CD

Back
Top Bottom