Frying Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just watched a video about making the perfect fried chicken. It was called Myth Breakers, I think. There were four young adults, two men and two women who fried up batches of chicken drumsticks using several methods, each of which proclaimed to be the best. Then they tasted the results obtained by each method. Their final conclusion was that the chicken should not be soaked in buttermilk, as that added a sour note to the flavor profile, and did nothing to enhance the tenderness, or juiciness of the chicken. It should be dipped once in seasoned flour, then dipped in milk, egg wash, or buttermilk, and then again in the seasoned flour, pressing the flour against the chicken. The chi ken should be then allowed to rest for an hour as that will produce a coating with no air pockets, and that adheres to the chicken better.

Finally, they used two differ cooking methods for frying the chicken, a deep fryer, and a cast iron chicken fryer pan, both in oil of the same temperature. The oil temp was 350 degrees, I believe. The chicken cooked in the deep fryer was done sooner. The chicken in the pan wasn't completely submerged, and had to be turned ever coulee of minute to insure even cooking on all sides.

Again, taste testing was done by all four participants. Their verdict was that extra Milliard reaction took place where the chicken touched the hot pan, and added flavor to the chicken.

It was kind of humorous. They bit into the deep fried version first , and all were looking like they loved the results. Comments like, "I don't know how it could get any better than tis.", were made. Then They tried the chicken fried in the pan. The looks on their faces showed that they were blown away with the flavor. They stated that the pan-fried chicken was every bit as juicy, and tender, with a perfectly crispy coating, but with still better flavor.

Myself, I have never been a fan of soaking chickens in buttermilk. I too don't care for the sour notes it adds. And I know from years of frying chicken tenders, thighs, breasts, drumsticks, (bone in) etc. that when fried in my large flat bottomed wok, I get the benefits of great milliard from the chicken touching the pan, and the most tender, and juicy chicken imaginable. I personally like the seasoned floor recipe I created. But that's a matter of personal choice.

One more thought; A proper marinade or brine can enhance the flavor of the chicken flesh, just don't use buttermilk.;)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have never marinated fried chicken in anything. Soaking in buttermilk is an old technique left over from when families kept their own chickens. The chickens were used primarily for eggs and when they got to be too old to lay, they were butchered for a special meal. Since they were several years old, they were pretty tough. Modern chicken is usually butchered when it's much younger, so it's already tender.

I use my mom's recipe for the seasoned flour: 1 cup flour, 1 tsp each salt, thyme, sage and paprika, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. I don't use any fluid - just a flour dredge. Then fry it in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet. I use extra seasoned flour to make gravy to go with either mashed potatoes or rice (my mom usually made rice).

GG, You and I think alike:). Sometimes though, for really juicy chicken, and in the rare occasion when I want to taste nothing but chicken, with a very mild crunch, I'll add 3/4 tsp of salt to a cup of flour, dust the chicken with the seasoned flour, and let sit for 15 minutes. Heat the oven to 350. Heat a couple inches of high=temp oil to about 360 F., and fry the chicken to a blonde-brown color on all sides. This is bone in chicken. I place the partially cooked chicken into a shallow, foil-lined roasting pan, pop it into the oven, and finish it with 20 minutes baking time.

This method makes chicken that is so juicy, it will squirt you when you bite into it,; and all of the chicken flavor is front and center. Oh, when it comes out of the oven, lightly season with s & p.

Use any drippings from the roasting pan, deglazed with a bit of water, to flavor a roux-based gravy, served with either rice, or smashed spuds, and maybe a side of dressing, or fresh corn.

But that's just sometimes:mrgreen:.

Seeeeya; Cief Longwind of the North

No more buttermilk for me. Chicken browns way to fast when soaking in it. It also is not as crispy.
Heavy salt and pepper and flour only from now on.

It might sound funny, but I had no idea someone would fry chicken coated in flour :) Here in my part of the world, we always use breadcrumbs. I only learned about this once I started to look up recipes on the internet.

Soaking in buttermilk is also not that popular here, sometimes I do marinate the meat in a spicy marinade before coating it, but that's also not the standard thing to do here.

The most popular method over here is: salt & pepper first, then some flour, then egg (the flour basically serves as an "additive" to make the egg stick better) then breadcrumbs... for a more thick coating, you can repeat the egg wash and breadcrumbs twice.

As for the frying process itself, we use a shallow pan with half an inch of oil or lard (better) and we flip the meat once or twice to make sure both sides are fried properly.

It might sound funny, but I had no idea someone would fry chicken coated in flour :) Here in my part of the world, we always use breadcrumbs. I only learned about this once I started to look up recipes on the internet.

Soaking in buttermilk is also not that popular here, sometimes I do marinate the meat in a spicy marinade before coating it, but that's also not the standard thing to do here.

The most popular method over here is: salt & pepper first, then some flour, then egg (the flour basically serves as an "additive" to make the egg stick better) then breadcrumbs... for a more thick coating, you can repeat the egg wash and breadcrumbs twice.

As for the frying process itself, we use a shallow pan with half an inch of oil or lard (better) and we flip the meat once or twice to make sure both sides are fried properly.

Try adding shredded coconut to your breadcrumbs. It's really good.

Another option is to combine half flour, half cornstarch, and 2tsp. baking powder per cup of flour mixture. Season with s & p to taste. This gives you a very light, and crispy tempura coating, also very tasty. Just more options in your fried chicken arsenal.:mrgreen:

hey Chief! those 4 cooks could have saved themselves a lot of trouble had they just asked you first!.... just sayin'...

hey Chief! those 4 cooks could have saved themselves a lot of trouble had they just asked you first!.... just sayin'...

:blush:Ahh, you give me too much credit. I learned from others, as well as my own experimentation. And there are many on this site who can outcook me, well, maybe not many;), but enough so that here, I walk with greats.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind ofthe North

I like that show, they have done it with other methods too, including pizza and roast turkey. They are often goofy but there is some good information to come from it. Josh's pumpkin pie recipe was the best that I've made.

Try adding shredded coconut to your breadcrumbs. It's really good.

Another option is to combine half flour, half cornstarch, and 2tsp. baking powder per cup of flour mixture. Season with s & p to taste. This gives you a very light, and crispy tempura coating, also very tasty. Just more options in your fried chicken arsenal.:mrgreen:

Oh yes, I've tried many different flour based coatings during the past few years :) I still prefer breadcrumbs in most cases, but I have to admit that seasoned flour can work REALLY well :)

I'm lucky to live where people still raise Chickens free ranged. Pork & Beef similarly.

When I want good Chicken I go out there and buy one from them already dressed. I double coat them (using milk & egg mixture...but have used butter milk also) using a large cast iron skillet to fry with. I've fried using lard, vegetable oil, and peanut oil.

But no matter, the difference is amazing when compared to Grocery Store products. As a little kid I was always hearing about what great cooks Farmer's wives were. But the first time I was old enough to be aware of food quality, I could understand why the Farmer's wives & daughters got such praise. And they didn't use much fancy prep or exotic spicing.

Last edited:
I asked for and received an outdoor frying kit for Christmas. I did this because any time I fried chicken or anything else in the house on the stove, my house reaked of oil for days. Having said this, I am wondering how people who fry on a regular/semi-regular basis dispose of their used oil? I have looked at my local auto parts stores where I typically take my used car/lawn mower oil, but peanut oil (my preferred oil for frying) is not something they want. Thank you in advance.

Stinking up the house for starters is the foremost reason I don't deep fry as well.
There has been perhaps a couple of threads in used frying oil, as in how many uses do you get from them. Not a yew it covered disposal in depth though.
Nice suggestion Sir LOB

There are lots of things to do with used cooking oil. First of all, you can reuse it up to three times. I suggest you clarify it before storing it, and label when you use it. Secondly, use it for the same or similar purposes. (Don't cook chicken in oil that was used for fish, for example.)

After using it a few times, consider the following things that you can do with it. Cleaning products to moisturizers. Clarifying will remove most of the odors from it.

I don't have a place that will recycle used cooking oil locally. If I need to discard it, I'll let it cool and bottle it up in a container before tossing it. However, there are tons of things to do with it. Even more than the links above indicate.

this is how we deal with the deep fryer smell, it greatly reduces oil splash from using a pan too.

you can keep using oil until it smokes, once it smokes you have to use it at a lower temp the next time , you get to a point where it can't cook without smoking.
The town dump uses it in their waste oil furnace so they're happy to take it.

20240113_170702.jpg

What type of oil do you typically cook with. From what I have read, oil types have different smoking/burning temps, if I am remembering correctly?

you are correct - many oils, all with varying "smoke points"
a typical deep fry temp is 375'F / 190.6'C

here's those below....
225F....... 107C....... Canola oil, unrefined
225F....... 107C....... Flaxseed oil, unrefined
225F....... 107C....... Safflower oil, unrefined
225F....... 107C....... Sunflower oil, unrefined
320F....... 160C....... Corn oil, unrefined
320F....... 160C....... Sunflower oil, high-oleic, unrefined
320F....... 160C....... Olive oil, extra virgin
320F....... 160C....... Peanut oil, unrefined
320F....... 160C....... Safflower oil, Semi-refined