Fruit rollups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
It takes about 2 cups of puree for each square tray. I use parchment so the rectangle of puree is about 10x12 inches. I made three trays.

I cooked up some apples that were getting soft with a splash of lemon and a little water to start them. Then in the blender, I put in apple with cranberry puree and enough water so the oster would blend. I put a strip of the pink puree on 3 trays. Then I put frozen blueberries and apple in the blender with enough water (1/4 cup) to blend. I put that on each of the trays. I spread the purees into a rectangle, one end is pink and the other is blue. I dehydrated them at 135 deg F for a while last night, then turned it off overnight (they might over dry) and dried them more this morning.

I cut them with a scissors, 8 strips, right through the parchment, and rolled them up with the parchment. Mr bliss had one and I had one, and we both really liked them. I put the rest in a plastic bag for future use.

Apples and pears have a good amount of pectin in them, so apple sauce and pear sauce work as a good base for rollups. Some people add sugar or honey to make them sweeter, but we're used to the fruit the way it is.

I haven't made any with pumpkin or squash, but I'm thinking some pear/squash ones with gingerbread spices might be nice.

I once made some with banana and apple - they were delish. They were meant for the grandkids but never managed to make to them.

I didn't want them to go bad you see, so I ate them all. :blush:

I started some more rollups, pear sauce with cinnamon and nutmeg, 2 cups per parchment, 4 more trays. That will make about 8 strips of rollups/tray, 32 roll ups. For the kid, mr bliss, 71 year old kid.

We're kind of on a ROLL......with these rollups.

I was going to make more myself. All of them are delish! But I was eating them too fast and realized that one roll was the equivalent of eating 2-3 fruits (depending on fruit) X's 3 or 4 times a day.... not really good idea, but as I've often said, I've no control.

Maybe now being in the same household I will start again. We'll see.

I tried 1/2 squash and 1/2 pear sauce with pumpkin pie spices and honey. They are delicious but they pull apart in long lines on the parchment--maybe it needs to be thicker, or it needs more pectin like fruit. We love the taste of this one. I think I'll try 2/3 pear sauce (which dries smooth on its own) and 1/3 squash/pumpkin with the spices and then see if it dries nicer.

100-0524.jpg

I came across this picture from 2015, when I made an apple roll up and some berry/apple rollups. I would leave them on the parchment, to cut, then roll them up and tie them with twine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom