Frozen Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
Everything I have seen online says fresh chili that has been frozen will last 4 to 6 months. Pretty sure the pints I have in the freezer are older than that.

How can I determine if it is still safe to eat?

Most food that has a time limit in the freezer will be safe to eat when kept longer in the freezer. The texture may be less appealing. The seasonings may have faded in flavour. The item might be freezer burned. It may pick up unwanted smells and flavours. I don't usually worry about it being safe. I just concern myself with whether or not it still seems like something I want to eat. Of course, that assumes that it still smells like food and it has been frozen the entire time.

Thanks. If you’ve ever bought a pint of Talenti ice cream/gelato, you know the containers I freeze chili in. They look fine with only a fifty cent piece size of frost at the top.

So tomorrow I’m making cornbread!

Longer freezer times are NOT an issue. The only difference after an extended freeze is some possible freezer burn.

Defrost it, bring it to a simmer stirring well and you'll be all set.

I've never had any issues with overly frozen foods that have been sitting in the freezer for months on end. I noticed freezer burn on raw chicken breasts and pork chops but the wrinkly texture smooths itself out when cooked. I've noticed freezer burn and wrinkly texture on chili beans but it goes away when reheated.
I've never had a problem myself.

Back
Top Bottom