Frittata question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does Spain have proprietary rights to "Frittata"? I thought it was originally an egg-based Italian dish.

Further exposing my ignorance, I'll admit that arguments like Spanish versus Italian cuisines seem no more important to me than Tennessee Whiskey versus Kentucky Bourban.

I only flip a broiled frittata if I've screwed up and want to hide the top. :)

The older I get the more I recognize how often accusations of stupidity were mirror images.

Spanish Omelette does seem to be very similar to a Frittata. If I have plenty of eggs and a supply of suitable vegetables to use up, I won't split the difference! I never flip mine, just cook till the egg mix is still slightly underdone and then pop under a hot grill (broiler?) Sometimes, if the mood takes me, I grate cheese over the top too! :ohmy:

Pellegrino Artusi says use the finest ingredients; barely beat the eggs; use only one or two extra ingredients and don´t flip. Just let it set, cooked gently.
Lidia Bastianich says keep the frittata almost runny - don´t flip it.
Massimo Botura reckons use few ingredients, barely beat the eggs, and once it´s set, finish in the oven.
Antonio Carluccio says keep it simple, and set it on both sides. In other words, either flip it or finish it in the oven.
Jamie Oliver says move the eggs around, mate, don´t let it set completely, and finish it in the oven.
Bobby Flay, bless his little grilled heart, is the last person I´d want to cook me a frittata.
And none of these guys´favourite recipes use potatoes - but I think you can put what the heck you like in your frittata - as long as you adhere to the age-old adage. K.I.S.S.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So take your choice!

Pellegrino Artusi says use the finest ingredients; barely beat the eggs; use only one or two extra ingredients and don´t flip. Just let it set, cooked gently.
Lidia Bastianich says keep the frittata almost runny - don´t flip it.
Massimo Botura reckons use few ingredients, barely beat the eggs, and once it´s set, finish in the oven.
Antonio Carluccio says keep it simple, and set it on both sides. In other words, either flip it or finish it in the oven.
Jamie Oliver says move the eggs around, mate, don´t let it set completely, and finish it in the oven.
Bobby Flay, bless his little grilled heart, is the last person I´d want to cook me a frittata.
And none of these guys´favourite recipes use potatoes - but I think you can put what the heck you like in your frittata - as long as you adhere to the age-old adage. K.I.S.S.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So take your choice!

100% agreed! :yum:

Yes, Spanish tortilla and Italian frittata are quite similar, except for the traditional ingredients and the cooking method.

A traditional Tortilla is composed of eggs, sliced potatoes and onions cooked gently in olive oil. You cook the potatoes and onions in the olive oil, then add the eggs, cooking it entirely on the stove top and flipping it half way through the cooking process. It is served cold or at room temperature along with other tapas (small plates).

A Frittata, on the other hand, can include any meats and vegetables, such as what is left over from last night's supper, and the traditional potatoes are usually diced. In fact, when I used to make frittatas frequently, I would cheat by keeping a bag of frozen Potatoes O'Brien in the freezer, which in addition to diced potatoes includes onions and red and green bell peppers. A frittata can be served warm, cold or at room temperature, and it is usually the star of the meal.

Back
Top Bottom