Fresh herbs year round in northern climate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In honor of Maybelle, who passed away this morning, basil is nearly indestructible if given half-█████ attention. I've been eating off the same plant goin' on five years. If the leaves grow up into the lights, which I admit are too close, then it's past time to prune or harvest.

When flowers develop or the bottom stalk gets a big around as a finger (any finger really) then it's time to replant a cutting. All that means is harvest the basil plant but reserve the top ~5or 6 inches. Trim leaves or stems from the bottom half and poke the trimmed stem down into your aquaponic growing medium. It has never rarely failed for me.

Last edited:
I use defrosted dill without cooking it, but not as garnish. I use it when I make gravad laks, which also doesn't get cooked. I imagine that most frozen herbs would also be fine in salad dressings.

Ginny, what is your preferred method for freezing basil?

Honestly, I just harvest & pop it into a Rubbermaid freezer container. I've got several like this, for basil alone! I've heard that you can layer it with salt and it will stay like fresh, but I've never tried.

IMG_5577 (2).jpg

I used to (before the hydroponics) grow a LOT of basil and Thai basil outside, and preserve it by freezing. That is an herb that simply does not dry well! But instead of making a pesto, as I don't always want garlic (though I can't remember when I haven't:LOL:) - I would just rinse, and spin dry the leaves, and stuff them into the food processor, and pulse it, drizzling a neutral oil in, just enough to liquefy the mixture. Then I would freeze it in popsicle containers, that I got in dollar stores - 1/4 c per container. When I needed them, I would just swish them through a sauce, until enough of the flavor had been released - it didn't take much, as I found that 1 loosely packed cup of basil (an often used amount in Thai recipes) reduced down to 3 tb. Here are some of those popsicle containers I used for Thai basil, and I dug them out for tomato paste.
Popsicle molds, maybe for freezing tomato paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Salt layering has been suggested for basil; in fact, the CB I learned this method was in an Italian book, and the author said that it works, though the leaves get dark, and moister than other herbs. I used to use it when I first grew red epazote, as well as curry leaves, and sage. Works great for all, resulting in fresh tasting herbs, not like dried. Here's the epazote:
Salt layering red epazote. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I used to (before the hydroponics) grow a LOT of basil and Thai basil outside, and preserve it by freezing. That is an herb that simply does not dry well! But instead of making a pesto, as I don't always want garlic (though I can't remember when I haven't[emoji38]) - I would just rinse, and spin dry the leaves, and stuff them into the food processor, and pulse it, drizzling a neutral oil in, just enough to liquefy the mixture. Then I would freeze it in popsicle containers, that I got in dollar stores - 1/4 c per container. When I needed them, I would just swish them through a sauce, until enough of the flavor had been released - it didn't take much, as I found that 1 loosely packed cup of basil (an often used amount in Thai recipes) reduced down to 3 tb. Here are some of those popsicle containers I used for Thai basil, and I dug them out for tomato paste.
Popsicle molds, maybe for freezing tomato paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Salt layering has been suggested for basil; in fact, the CB I learned this method was in an Italian book, and the author said that it works, though the leaves get dark, and moister than other herbs. I used to use it when I first grew red epazote, as well as curry leaves, and sage. Works great for all, resulting in fresh tasting herbs, not like dried. Here's the epazote:
Salt layering red epazote. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
I use the same procedure to freeze basil except that I use water instead of oil because I don't usually want to add oil to my recipe when I use it. Do you find it advantageous to use oil?

Also, I freeze it in ice-cube trays, so the cubes are 2 tbsp each, a very handy size. After they're frozen, I move them to freezer bags to prevent sublimation [emoji38]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom