French Toast Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to add some triple sec into the egg custard. Don't really use a recipe but maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 cup for 4 eggs. Probably could use any liqueur you like.

This thread is certainly apropos. I've gotten into my mind that I am going to make French toast for Sunday breakfast. Sunday is when I take special care to do a little "extra" for the morning meal and I've gone through all the usual suspects recently...pancakes, waffles, biscuits w/sausage gravy, S.O.S., all sorts of different breads made into toast.

The only thing preventing me from making French toast is that I needed to make some bread and since today is a definite Blackberry winter day, I just put three loaves of Honey Buttermilk Bread in my microwave oven for their final rise before baking.

Before anyone misunderstands me, I don't cook the bread in the microwave. I use it as a proofing box. While I'm shaping the loaves and putting them in to the pans, I heat a bowl of water on HIGH power for 4 minutes. By the time I'm ready to put the loaves in the nuker, it's nice and warm and moist. The environment is perfect for about 1 hour's time, which is usually enough or more than enough time to put the bread through its rise.

This bread is awesome and just perfect for French toast.

My French toast method is pretty much standard: eggs, milk, sugar, salt, vanilla extract. Dip, cook, eat.

I'm really intrigued by some of the suggestions in this tread and am going to try some of them.

Last edited:
CharlieD, I like your idea of making your French toast savory. Savory sounds very yummy.

I guess it mostly because how I grew up. We simply did not have a lot of cinnamon, or vanilla. Also, it is like pancakes, and Russian pancakes are made so they can be eaten with something sweet, i.e. syrup or something savory, i.e. herring or lox.

We didn't have a lot of money for extras when I grew up either. My mother used to make maple syrup using water, sugar and maple extract. We didn't know any different...

On savory french toast. My ex wife picks hers up like toast and dips them in ketchup. So, she never wanted cinnamon in the mix. I felt it was a bit blasphemous.

Last edited:
We didn't have a lot of money for extras when I grew up either. My mother used to make maple syrup using water, sugar and maple extract. We didn't know any different...

On savory french toast. My ex wife picks hers up like toast and dips them in ketchup. So, she never wanted cinnamon in the mix. I felt it was a bit blasphemous.

My Mom made syrup that way too, except that it was made with Maplene (sp?), an imitation maple flavoring. I have to be honest, on those few occasions when I had breakfast with my cousins (they were a lot more affluent than we were), I drooled over the log cabin syrup that came in the log cabin shaped tins. Mom's syrup is one thing that I don't miss from my childhood.

Banana bread made into french toast is a thing of beauty, and a treat for the tongue. My dad used to cook two pieces of regular french toast (white bread, egg, sugar, milk, cinnamon, salt) on one side only. He'd then turn one slice over and top it with Velveeta Cheese, and cover that with the cooked side of the other slice. Then he'd finish it like a grilled cheese, plate it, serve with syrup and a side of sausage patties. That was one of my favorites. But I still love to make Monty Cristos, which is french toast made into a sandwich with sliced ham, turkey, and Ementeleer or Swiss Cheese, and yes I want either syrup or a good jam, like choke cherry, or currant jelly with mine.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I soak stale bread in a mixture of eggs and half & half with vanilla extract and a touch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and cook it in my Belgian waffle iron, one slice per slot.

I used to watch my sister make French Toast. Quick dip in the egg mixture, flip it over to other side, remove quickly. I like to soak my bread so that the egg mixture goes through completely. Then I place it in the pan on low heat so that the egg mixture is cooked through. The flavor of the additives are not just sitting on the outside. I have a large half round spatula that is perfect for lifting it out of the egg solution. :angel:

My mom used to melt brown sugar in a saucepan for our "maple" syrup. I think she may have added a little water. :LOL:

I like French toast made using one of the Pepperidge Farm Swirl breads or raisin bread.

If you are not a fan of French toast it would be easy enough to make a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with some thinly sliced fruit or vegetables for you and French toast for your wife.

Arnold's Bread also makes them. Unfortunately our local store may be carrying one and not the other. I too prefer PF also. Only not with the raisins. I do believe I have stated my aversion to raisins. YUK! :angel:

Put it off until tomorrow or wednesday. Didn't realize today would be so crazy, the minute I woke up until now :) But, I did get myself the Challah bread, and the chickens laid their eggs, so Im ready to go..

I had trouble getting my french toast to cook up toasty. I tried to soak the bread quickly in the french toast mix so as not to get overly soaked. I fried up the pieces in a bit of Crisco and still couldn't make them come out anything but mushy. Also, I've got to get some maple syrup that is a bit less sweet. I ended up taking one bite of the french toast and syrup and then drinking a lot of milk after each bite.

It's not the same as I remember making it at home, not nearly like it is at an IHOP these days.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I don't like ode of frying anything in Crisco.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I had trouble getting my french toast to cook up toasty. I tried to soak the bread quickly in the french toast mix so as not to get overly soaked. I fried up the pieces in a bit of Crisco and still couldn't make them come out anything but mushy. Also, I've got to get some maple syrup that is a bit less sweet. I ended up taking one bite of the french toast and syrup and then drinking a lot of milk after each bite.

It's not the same as I remember making it at home, not nearly like it is at an IHOP these days.

I always cook my french toast in unsalted butter on medium heat. I just prefer the flavor. It seems to crisp up nicely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom