Freezing raw pizza dough, how long will it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i divided my raw pizza dough to portions.
then freezed them.

for how long they can last in the freezer well sealed?

I have a frozen pizza dough in the freezer. Its been there about 4 months. I fully expect it to be as good as the day I put it in the freezer.
After all it always has before.

About 8 or more years ago I suddenly started making bread again after not doing any for maybe 5 years?? or so.

Grabbed the yeast from the back of the fridge were it had been all that time and with no testing started baking. Never had a problem with the yeast.

4 days ago using relatively new yeast had my first no-go with yeast. Can't believe it.

I've bought frozen pizza dough from the market.
I can't imagine how long its been sitting there, but one never had a problem thawing it and letting it rise.

Not sue gif they do something different hen the home cook ( as far as ingredients or feeling process ) to make its storage life longer.

I've read in a couple of places that freezing yeast puts it in a dormant state and it will last indefinitely in the freezer. That's why frozen doughs don't continue to rise in the freezer like they do in the fridge.

Last edited:
I've read in a couple of places that freezing yeast puts it in a dormant state and it will last indefinitely in the freezer. That's why frozen doughs don't continue to rise in the freezer like they do in the fridge.

During the pandemic, I needed yeast (like a lot of others). I ended up buying a pound of instant yeast. the consensus was that It would last a year in the fridge and "forever" in the freezer.

So far, that appears to be true.

I have a large bag of yeast in the chest freezer - I put my 'ready supply' in one of those jars yeast comes in, and keep that in the fridge freezer.

it's never failed. likely 7-10 years in the freezer.
some people did some stuff - and rejuvenated 3000 year old yeast from an Egyptian tomb to make "real Egyptian beer" - as I recall, they pronounced it "quite terrible"

Yeast spores have been found in space, in a dormant stage. If they can survive in space, I believe they will surviv a freezer. The dough must be warm, and moist to activate the yeast.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have a large bag of yeast in the chest freezer - I put my 'ready supply' in one of those jars yeast comes in, and keep that in the fridge freezer.

it's never failed. likely 7-10 years in the freezer.
some people did some stuff - and rejuvenated 3000 year old yeast from an Egyptian tomb to make "real Egyptian beer" - as I recall, they pronounced it "quite terrible"

I remember that! LOL

i think that yeast in a jar or sour dough starter and yeast in an already baked item are different. i've had yeasted breads die on me whereas in a jar they stay fine.

i apologize - i mean an already mixed loaf of bread or rolls, frozen raw. that's what i've had trouble with. and it wasn't even a frost free freezer, it was a manual defrost.

another friend said she had trouble with it too - like me, she'd mix her bread and rolls all at one time, then freeze in loaf pans and such. when she took them out to defrost and rise again, they didn't rise. and they tasted bad.

I think that really depends on how long they'd been frozen.

Was the recipe you used specifically for freezing the unbaked loaf? Did they not say how long you could keep it?

I'm guessing a month would be max.

Back
Top Bottom