Free stone friut selection.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
How does one tell if fruit is free stone? They never mark this at my store. Peaches,plums nectorines and such. Thanks. Eric

Here, peaches are often marked "free stone". as to the other fruits, sorry, but I don't know.

Now thinking about it, I believe the larger dark plums are, and the smaller lighter colours are perhaps not?

Sorry, guess this isn't really very helpful. :)

Freestone are harvested later in the growing season than are the cling varieties. If purchasing from a farm stand, or farmer's market, you have a better chance if finding freestone varieties. Also, you van ask the produce managers at your local grocers if their peaches, plumbs, and apricots are cling, or freestone varieties. You can't tell by looking at the fruit.

Seeeeya; Chef Longwind of the North

Last year I was canning peach puree/jams and all I got was cling stone peaches. They are not marked one way or another in our stores. This year, all we are getting are free stone peaches now. They are fabulous, juice, sweet, and best of all free stone. We just never know.

I see both cling and freestone peaches in the market at the same time. They're grown here and very popular for canning. They're always marked either Freestone or Cling. Around here, the peaches sold by the box are freestone.

I suppose you could always buy one piece of fruit & check it before buying a big box.

CharlieD, the fruit of freestone peaches comes off the pit easily the when you cut them up. The pits in clingstone peaches hang on to the fruit and it's difficult to separate them.

I noticed a sign saying local Freestone Nectarines at the market today, so I guess it's pretty common to list cling/free around here, not just for peaches. Makes it easier for the canners!

Back
Top Bottom