For Grandparents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookieee

Sous Chef
Hi, sorry, I know the grandkids have all gone home by now, but I just came across this recipe. So save it for the next visit, ok? This didn't show up until 06', but the grandkids were still young enough to enjoy it. I hope yours will also.

Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Split Sandwich

2 slices bread
1 tsp. butter, softened
1 TB. creamy peanut butter
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. semisweet chocolate minichips
1 large strawberry, thinly sliced
1/2 small banana, cut lengthwise into 3 slices
1 TB. pineapple jam

1. Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1/2 tsp. butter. Combine peanut butter and honey, spread over plain side of 1 bread slice. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; top evenly with strawberry slices and banana slices.
2. Spread pineapple jam over plain side of remaining bread slice. Carefully assemble sandwich.
3. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sandwich; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Source: Cooking Light mag. January, 2006

Just noticed this. I was blessed to have an old time Grandmother. She knew food and was amazing in the kitchen.

As a little kid she would baby sit me and just watching all the stuff she did around the house would wear me out. Occasionally she would have me on a day when she needed to go to town and that was most memorable. She always wanted to visit this one Dime Store lunch counter and get us both a hot roast beef sandwich. The roast beef was sliced thin, tender and cut up into shreds so anyone could eat it easily. A couple of slices of white bread with a stack of meat in it and cut in half diagonally and arranged on the plate with a mound of mashed potatoes between the two halves with brown gravy all over it. Then there were green beans as a side. Delicious, and all I could do to finish mine.

At the store yesterday I scored a 2.25 lb Eye of Round (marked down to $6.38) and seasoned it with a rub I like that uses Oriental 5 spice. Put it in the fridge over night and got my electric slicer this morning and sliced it thin. If I had purchased this at the Deli it would have cost $30 bucks easily. I had less than a buck and a half in the rub.

So for lunch I had a hot roast beef sandwich and remembered riding on the big yellow & green bus with her and eating real food before everything became burgers & fries.

The rub I used today was made of

2 1/2 TB coarse sea salt or you may try kosher salt
1 TB of coarse ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp 5 spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne red pepper
1 tsp ground ginger

This coated the 2.25 lb Eye of Round very well.

Baked at 500 F for 25 minutes & then turned down to 300 F for 25.

It's going to rain here all week so I'm making comfort foods so I can stay in and make the best of it.

Last edited:
Glad you like it GG. It's one of my main comfort foods yet today as memories of the Grand Mother are interwoven with it. The ride downtown on the big yellow and green city bus, The Blue Plate Specials where I had my first experiences
with dining out. And the wonders of a world far bigger than myself.

5dd59cda61838218fc3bd46d9150e119.jpg

A Kresge's Dime Store Menu from the day

Kresge%27s%20menu_2.jpg

Oh RCJoe, how lucky you are to have such memories and that menu is priceless. Thank you so much for sharing. I just hope I have made such memories for my grandchildren.

Last edited:
Thank you Cookleee. These are some of my brightest blessings.

I only wish I had the photos of the table my Grandmother set at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and some of the other more refined special occasions. Those times when the fine china, sterling, & crystal came out of the big mahogany cabinet in the dining room. (normally covered by linen sheets thru the rest of the year to prevent dust). Special lace table cloths and all the fine things hope chest were made of made their appearances then as well.

I enjoyed the food immensely, but the formality of the room was a bit off putting for me. One of my younger aunts got the idea to let us kids eat at the kitchen table together with the daily tableware during those occasions so we wouldn't be as intimidated by the exotic refinements. To this day I'm more of a Bauhaus furnishings person.

I'm sure that if Grandmother held a job when I was a kid, I may not have these memories today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom