For Everybody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
There are things I avoid and recommend everyone avoid.

Sugar. And they put it in just about everything.
Hydrogenated. That means margarine and Crisco.
Artificial flavors. Yikes, who knows what is in those secret recipes.
Soy. Only in soy sauce or sometimes soy oil.
Refined table salt. I only use the real kind, unrefined.

That is five things that are killing people.

T

It's a shame you're so afraid of food. None of those things, used in moderation, is killing anybody. Note the word moderation. It's important.

Refined table salt. I only use the real kind, unrefined.

T

Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid and especially important for vegetarians...

The difference between "unrefined" (generally not a term used to define salt) salt and commonly available Kosher salt (NaCl - no additives) is non-salt stuff. Un"refined" salt, such as sea salt is made up of NaCl and and whatever other compounds were present in the source ( generally sea water) of the salt.

The difference between "unrefined" (generally not a term used to define salt) salt and commonly available Kosher salt (NaCl - no additives) is non-salt stuff. Un"refined" salt, such as sea salt is made up of NaCl and and whatever other compounds were present in the source ( generally sea water) of the salt.
All salt is sea salt - some is evaporated from ocean water and some is mined from ancient dry sea beds. And you're right that "unrefined" is not generally used to describe salt.

"Go to the ocean. Take a deep breath. There is your requirement for iodine for the foreseeable future."

I sincerely doubt that.

T

"Un"refined" salt, such as sea salt is made up of NaCl and and whatever other compounds were present in the source ( generally sea water) of the salt"

The other compounds are where the value is. You can say "Oh, there is a very small percentage" and you will be right. But that is what our body needs. Many of these are called trace minerals because they are not abundant.

For example 1,000mg. is indicated on a quick web check, now manganese which is just as important, we only need 2.3mg. But we NEED it.

Deficiencies are not always told in blood tests. For example chromium and vanadium belong in the pancreas. Other such examples exist but it would take all day.

I have a database of sorts I could email out with very good information on this. Another way would be a long post/thread here, which might not be welcome.

T

We eat what tastes good. That include salts. Usually Kosher salt.
We do not read labels either. Why ruin a good thing.
My wife is always joking that her grandfather lived on fat back and biscuits. He lived to almost 100.
I don't want to live that long.

We eat what tastes good. That include salts. Usually Kosher salt.
We do not read labels either. Why ruin a good thing.
My wife is always joking that her grandfather lived on fat back and biscuits. He lived to almost 100.
I don't want to live that long.

Amen. But, I'm only 82 so, may not have learned better as of yet. ;)

Ross

"Un"refined" salt, such as sea salt is made up of NaCl and and whatever other compounds were present in the source ( generally sea water) of the salt"

The other compounds are where the value is. You can say "Oh, there is a very small percentage" and you will be right. But that is what our body needs. Many of these are called trace minerals because they are not abundant.

For example 1,000mg. is indicated on a quick web check, now manganese which is just as important, we only need 2.3mg. But we NEED it.

Deficiencies are not always told in blood tests. For example chromium and vanadium belong in the pancreas. Other such examples exist but it would take all day.

I have a database of sorts I could email out with very good information on this. Another way would be a long post/thread here, which might not be welcome.

T
This is all true, but it's highly unlikely that anyone gets a significant amount of minerals from salt. They would have to be eating bowlfuls of it. Vitamins and minerals are abundant in other foods.

As someone with a long-standing nutrient absorption disorder, I know more than anyone needs to know about micronutrient requirements. Just eat good food and don't worry about it so much.

"We eat what tastes good"

I have another hypothesis on that. Taste buds are a tool. When the flavors are unmanipulated, you should almost know what to eat. But with all this artificial junk and sugar and salt in everything our taste buds are confused.

T

"For example 1,000mg. is indicated..."

That is calcium, I forgot to put that word in.

T

"We eat what tastes good"

I have another hypothesis on that. Taste buds are a tool. When the flavors are unmanipulated, you should almost know what to eat. But with all this artificial junk and sugar and salt in everything our taste buds are confused.

T
Yes they are. My taste buds love salt, butter, seasonings and spices and I'm damn sure not going to try and ruin a good thing.
I save bacon grease to cook with. I eat the crispy skin from a pork roast.
I also eat ice cream and candy on occasion.
We eat what we like and we eat what we want. And we follow that mantra each and every single day.

Oh....above in this reply box you will see a "quote symbol" Its the furthest to the right. You can highlight the text you want to quote then click on the quote icon.This will wrap your text with quotation marks.
This feature is good for when you want to answer several times to one post.
Like this.

Hello we eat what we like

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom