Food dehydrator questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A bit late, but my change on dehydrating. Love it, keeps me from throwing a lot of things out.
-Veggies get dried and ground in coffee grinder to add as salt-less seasoning, not to mention paprika is dried and ground red bell pepper.
-Seasoned onion rings dried kinda taste like funions.
-Drain canned or jarred fruit and puree it, pour on a teflon drying mat that goes on top of the mesh screen to make fruit leather.
-Most fruit dry nicely and can be used for muffins, pancakes, cakes, added to apple sauce, added to oatmeal, mixed in to whipped topping, used as another saltless seasoning for rubs and salads.

Last edited:
I have just bought a new dehydrator. I wish I had bought it at the start of the summer when there were more foods to use. I have been drying apples and would love to find someone with peaches they want to share, but don't really expect that. The only thing we have left in the garden is okra. Has anyone ever dried that? I guess the only thing you could do is use in soups or something. About the only way we eat okra is fried even though I know it is not good for you that way.:rolleyes:
Anyone have any ideas about using the dehydrator? Would appreciate any info. Thanks, Faye
Whatever is on sale, fresh or frozen in the winter, local in the summer. Taking frozen veggies on sale and dehydrating them saves freezer space and is great for later use in soups and stews. Mushrooms are great dehydrated. Kale can make chips if you flavor them (not my fav) or dehydrate for later use in soups or crumble and sprinkle on foods like you would parsley.

If I made a pot of split pea or lentil soup would I be able to effectively dehydrate them in small batches?
I'm thinking about making some dehydrated meals (soups mostly) I can take with when I go backpacking. Can I use my kitchen oven to do this?

If I made a pot of split pea or lentil soup would I be able to effectively dehydrate them in small batches?
I'm thinking about making some dehydrated meals (soups mostly) I can take with when I go backpacking. Can I use my kitchen oven to do this?

Yes you can. Spread it out thinly on a silicone baking mat or on the shiny side of parchment paper.
Conventional oven: if you can get it to a temperature of 140 degrees F, that is ideal, most ovens have a lowest setting of 170 degrees F, which is okay too.

A convection oven will have fans blowing, which will dry food faster, if that is an option. I have a microwave convection oven that has dehydrator settings as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom